PDA

View Full Version : YMAS Cull Gracie Licensing Program: We forgot where we were at

goodlun
10/02/2010 10:27pm,
While I agree with the McDojo comments and keep on having less and less respect for the Gracies as an organization.
I would think that 80 hours of grappling instruction will make them surprising well prepared to deal with someone that has 0 grappling experience.
Kind of like what happens to the brand new guy(with no grappling experience) vs the White belt that has been in class for 14 weeks. The white belt does tend to do fairly well to the guy off the street.
So you just have to hope that mugger that attacks you doesn't have any grappling experience.

gonzomalan
10/08/2010 5:34pm,
So you just have to hope that mugger that attacks you doesn't have any grappling experience.

i'd wager most don't.

Koshoryu1113
10/20/2010 3:34pm,
gonna be totally honest just downloaded the whole video series and the manual the other day just search gracie combatives torrent its actually very good basic techniques of gracie jiujitsu a good place to start if nothing else i just refuse to pay for it

donoraen
10/21/2010 3:25pm,
gonna be totally honest just downloaded the whole video series and the manual the other day just search gracie combatives torrent its actually very good basic techniques of gracie jiujitsu a good place to start if nothing else i just refuse to pay for it Generally frowned upon to discuss illegal stuff on a public forum.

RaiderFunk
10/21/2010 4:54pm,
dang it...didn't realize this was a 3 year old thread...ugh!

Katriona1992
10/22/2010 5:06am,
gonna be totally honest just downloaded the whole video series and the manual the other day just search gracie combatives torrent its actually very good basic techniques of gracie jiujitsu a good place to start if nothing else i just refuse to pay for it

whether its good or not is up for debate, but you are not meant to steal those vids...o.0

It is Fake
10/22/2010 5:33am,
While I agree with the McDojo comments and keep on having less and less respect for the Gracies as an organization.
I would think that 80 hours of grappling instruction will make them surprising well prepared to deal with someone that has 0 grappling experience.
Kind of like what happens to the brand new guy(with no grappling experience) vs the White belt that has been in class for 14 weeks. The white belt does tend to do fairly well to the guy off the street.
So you just have to hope that mugger that attacks you doesn't have any grappling experience.Seriously did you just float the Wing Chun/Krotty/Teh Deadly defense for BJJ?

Yes, yes you did.

More BJJ bullshido - The Gracie Combatives Licensing Programô - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61440)

goodlun
10/22/2010 5:36am,
Seriously did you just float the Wing Chun/Krotty/Teh Deadly defense for BJJ?

Yes, yes you did.
Please reread what I said as I was advocating the fact that a little bit of grappling experience is far superior to no grappling experience from what I understand that is quite the opposite of what chun/krotty guys say.

It is Fake
10/22/2010 5:44am,
This I agree with:

Please reread what I said as I was advocating the fact that a little bit of grappling experience is far superior to no grappling experience from what I understand that is quite the opposite of what chun/krotty guys say.

That wasn't what I responded to though:

So you just have to hope that mugger that attacks you doesn't have any grappling experience.You threw in the mugger/street 0 skill defense that they use to say a program, no matter how watered down, is okay.

That is exactly the reasoning the examples I gave use.

goodlun
10/22/2010 5:59am,
This I agree with:

That wasn't what I responded to though:

You threw in the mugger/street 0 skill defense that they use to say a program, no matter how watered down, is okay.

That is exactly the reasoning the examples I gave use.
Fair enough,
I was just emphasizing that the program serves it purpose of giving someone enough grappling ability to deal with none grapplers but most likely not enough to deal with trains in a grappling art.
Mostly what I would stand by is they are still better off incorporating at least the combatives program into their normal routine to at least least close up that hole in their game some.

maofas
10/22/2010 6:33am,
^
Sure, if you live in rural Alaska and can't find a BJJ instructor, go for it, some is better than none, but if you look at their site there are Gracie Garages all over, in places like where I live, where there are tons of BJJ instructors.

Reading the blurbs for the individual garages reinforces my opinion that a large percentage of the people going for this stuff are Ke?po/Krotty/Kung Fu-ers who can't stomach going to a grappling school and being a newbie who gets constantly owned all over again.

I suppose it IS a little more difficult for someone with a lot of prior MA experience, perhaps used to being top dog in their gym, to bite that bullet than someone who never really reached an advanced level in anything, but regardless all MA preaches emptying your cup/humility/being a student forever/etc. etc. and you should walk the walk.

goodlun
10/22/2010 6:44am,
I live in San Diego, we have some freaking awesome BJJ gyms around.
Dean Lister at throwdown, Saulo & Xande Ribeiro at University of Jiu Jitsu, the Lions den, Fabio Santos, Roy Harris, and of course some pretty decent Judo clubs as well.
I do BJJ here so I see where you are coming from.
But I can see someone who likes doing <insert striking art> may not want to shell out an extra $100 a month to round out their game. They may also may not have an interest in taking things beyond a blue belt level. Frankly I feel a blue belt will serve most people well enough for most self defense purposes.

It is Fake
10/22/2010 7:04am,
^
Sure, if you live in rural Alaska and can't find a BJJ instructor, go for it, some is better than none, but if you look at their site there are Gracie Garages all over, in places like where I live, where there are tons of BJJ instructors.

This is the basic context I had when I read goodlun's post.

They may also may not have an interest in taking things beyond a blue belt level. Frankly I feel a blue belt will serve most people well enough for most self defense purposes.Right but, an online university and videos is not the way to go for the average Joe. That's why this was culled because, people are starting to argue something entirely different than MCdojo or bullshido video program.