PDA

View Full Version : Machado or Gracie Barra in Sydney?

Katriona1992
10/05/2010 6:48pm,
Hello everyone,

My family is planning to move to Sydney soon and I would like to start learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu there. I have a choice between Gracie Barra Granville and Will Machado's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Concord (I am going to live in Burwood).

My question are: what is the difference between the two styles? Which do you prefer and why? I want to learn some self defense skills...which one would be more useful? Lastly, how much should I expect to pay monthly for each gym and what additional costs are there?

I emailed both of them earlier this week and has yet recieved a reply. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you! :laughing1

Gracie Barra Granville: http://www.graciebarragranville.com/
Machado Concord: http://www.spma.net.au/

P.S. Do bear with my noobness, if this post isn't supposed to be where it should be, please inform me! I am new :dead:

PointyShinyBurn
10/05/2010 6:51pm,
Do a trial class at both and see which one you prefer. Both schools have credible lineages and will likely be able to impart good skills.

battlefields
10/05/2010 7:02pm,
Like PointyShinyBurn wrote, test them out. SPMA is run by Elvis Sinosic and Anthony Perosh and one of their purple belts is on this website, I was lucky enough to hang out with them all recently and they are great people. I understand that their training is tough as nails, too.

Not sure about Gracie Barra students on this board, but that shouldn't matter, go see which one you feel most comfortable at.

And when you are down here, PM me and we'll organise a friendly spar.

Katriona1992
10/05/2010 7:11pm,
Like PointyShinyBurn wrote, test them out. SPMA is run by Elvis Sinosic and Anthony Perosh and one of their purple belts is on this website, I was lucky enough to hang out with them all recently and they are great people. I understand that their training is tough as nails, too.

Not sure about Gracie Barra students on this board, but that shouldn't matter, go see which one you feel most comfortable at.

And when you are down here, PM me and we'll organise a friendly spar.

Of course I'd test them out! :new_olymp

Thing is...I am afraid that I won't be able to tell the good techniques from bad (I got ripped off by ATA once afteall :violent1:)

And sure, of course we can spar! What belt are you though? I am going to be completely steamrolled (unless striking is allowed) if I going against a blue or higher belt :icon_albi...

battlefields
10/05/2010 7:17pm,
Look, they are both reputable and the only thing you should worry about is you enjoying the time there. There is little need to worry about good techniques or bad ones, because you will learn jiu jitsu from legit instructors of jiu jitsu, you will get your arse handed to you and you will not be ripped off like you did at ATA as both schools are legit. Seriously, try a class at both and then report back here.

Katriona1992
10/05/2010 7:18pm,
Do a trial class at both and see which one you prefer. Both schools have credible lineages and will likely be able to impart good skills.

opps...only now did I see that both schools have good teachers I will quit asking stupid questions like these and get on with trying out...thanks everyone!

Flappyhead
10/05/2010 7:23pm,
opps...only now did I see that both schools have good teachers I will quit asking stupid questions like these and get on with trying out...thanks everyone!

Those aren't stupid questions, they're perfectly legit. Doing your homework is a good way to avoid getting ripped off, that's how I wound up on this site in the first place.

Rickko
10/10/2010 12:25am,
HI,
Don't know anything at all about Gracie Barra Granville,but if you are in burwood,SPMA is too close to pass up at least a trial lesson.
At the moment they have a first month free thingy going on,which amounts to per week ( for a beginner )
4 x Muay Thai classes
4 x Bjj classes
1 x No Gi jits class.

And yeah,Battlefields was right.We train pretty hard,but it's a cool bunch of peoples,suspiciously light on tattoo wise for an MMA gym though,but check both schools out,different environments suit different people.

Katriona1992
10/10/2010 8:11am,
HI,
Don't know anything at all about Gracie Barra Granville,but if you are in burwood,SPMA is too close to pass up at least a trial lesson.
At the moment they have a first month free thingy going on,which amounts to per week ( for a beginner )
4 x Muay Thai classes
4 x Bjj classes
1 x No Gi jits class.

And yeah,Battlefields was right.We train pretty hard,but it's a cool bunch of peoples,suspiciously light on tattoo wise for an MMA gym though,but check both schools out,different environments suit different people.

WOAH! That is like a dream come true! And I'm happy to hear that the people are nice too..thanks!

P.S. do you know how much the membership fee is though? I am sure the training is goanna be excellent, but then if they are going to charge $150+ my family might not be able to afford it. If thats the case, trying out for that free month would just make me feel like a douche trying to take advantage of legit martial artists...

P.P.S. I alrady sent emails to both of the schools...but they didn't give me a straight answer. Rather, what they replied was along the lines of "come and try before we tell" which is a bit too late in my opinion...

battlefields
10/10/2010 4:08pm,
One of the reasons you test them is to see if you will be prepared to spend the money on the tuition. As a salesman I know that if I tell a potential client the cost of my product, no matter what it is he will see it as prohibitive and then won't want to discuss with me further, so I must show the benefits of the product for the client to make a decision as to the value to themselves. So go along, test their product, then decide which one holds more value for you.

goodlun
10/10/2010 4:13pm,
Go do the free month, show that you are busting your arse and they may even be willing to work something out with you. It is a business 1st but you would be surprised at how far just being a good student will take you.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
10/10/2010 4:42pm,
Go do the free month, show that you are busting your arse and they may even be willing to work something out with you. It is a business 1st but you would be surprised at how far just being a good student will take you.

Especially since you (the OP) are a woman...and no this is not sexist.
Most MMA gyms have trouble in finding female clients, so hardworking, dedicated women* in the club are the best advertising.

*especially if the women don't look like they have a girlfriend (still not sexist).

Rickko
10/12/2010 7:41am,
As for price...
They won't give you a price over the phone or e-mail,wouldn't even discuss price until i had done the trial lesson,but I can tell you, I guess,that I pay $110 per month for all the Muay Thai & Bjj that I can stuff in my greedy little boots.
Thats another six classes per week on top of the fundamentals/beginners classes,& there are three MMA classes per week also.

Katriona1992
10/16/2010 3:41am,
As for price...
They won't give you a price over the phone or e-mail,wouldn't even discuss price until i had done the trial lesson,but I can tell you, I guess,that I pay $110 per month for all the Muay Thai & Bjj that I can stuff in my greedy little boots.
Thats another six classes per week on top of the fundamentals/beginners classes,& there are three MMA classes per week also.

$110 is cool considering how many hours is offered and who is teaching! Anyhow, there isn't much choice anyways. Just recieved a letter from Bec, the wife of Fabio, who runs Gracie Barra Granville.

Hi Kationa, We would love to have you train with us but i have some really bad news....

Last weekend someone set fire to our gym. The whole lot has been ruined... we no longer have a gym for people to come and train at.

I am sorry that we will not be here for you to come and train, but its out of ours hands as someone has deliberately done this. We are looking at relocating but probably not in that area.

Apologies again.

Bec

Tis sad :laughing3