PDA

View Full Version : Effective Throws/Takedowns

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

94m
10/04/2010 6:16pm,
Alright, before I get bombed to hell with use the search option I did. Anyways the topics I found were not this direct or either past page 5 meaning it was to old to bump and get a meaningful answer.

Now, most people around me agree all you need to a good single or double leg takedown to get the opponent on the ground or an ankle pick, all which I have favoured forever almost. But, I've recently been researching Judo and JJ throws that look pretty nasty. But, most of the ones I find are related to using a gi and I'm not sure if they are as applicable without one.

Four of the takedowns or throws I find to work with no gi are:

Uchimata
Harai Goshi
Osoto Gari
Seoinage

What throws/Takedowns do you favor and why? Tutorials welcome on how to preform them?

Keep mind that my question pertains to a street fight perspective, I rather be standing after my takedown than on the ground with someone getting my face stomped on by their friends. But that doesnt mean your answer can't pertain to anthers question on what would be best on the mat or in the ring.

So please stress the WHY and for WHAT and the HOW on your response.

Thanks

ojgsxr6
10/04/2010 6:44pm,
Take judo/sambo or train with your college wrestling team/club

Aaron_
10/04/2010 6:58pm,
train judo, it's cheap and offered pretty much everywhere.

jnp
10/04/2010 7:01pm,
Alright, before I get bombed to hell with use the search option I did. Anyways the topics I found were not this direct or either past page 5 meaning it was to old to bump and get a meaningful answer.

Now, most people around me agree all you need to a good single or double leg takedown to get the opponent on the ground or an ankle pick, all which I have favoured forever almost. But, I've recently been researching Judo and JJ throws that look pretty nasty. But, most of the ones I find are related to using a gi and I'm not sure if they are as applicable without one.

Four of the takedowns or throws I find to work with no gi are:

Uchimata
Harai Goshi
Osoto Gari
Seoinage

What throws/Takedowns do you favor and why? Tutorials welcome on how to preform them?

Keep mind that my question pertains to a street fight perspective, I rather be standing after my takedown than on the ground with someone getting my face stomped on by their friends. But that doesnt mean your answer can't pertain to anthers question on what would be best on the mat or in the ring.

So please stress the WHY and for WHAT and the HOW on your response.

Thanks
If you actually trained grappling you would know that this thread is too general to be answered properly.

Someone could spend hours covering only one of the throws you mentioned and still not exhaust the topic.

Go train wrestling, Sambo or Judo if you are able. Your question is too broad to be answered on the internet.

judoka_uk
10/04/2010 8:28pm,
Keep mind that my question pertains to a street fight perspective, I rather be standing after my takedown than on the ground with someone getting my face stomped on by their friends.
To have a skill level such that you can throw a stronger and heavier opponent and remain standing and control is an incedibly difficult feat, We're talking national champion/ international champion vs average joe.

I'm average Joe with a few years of Judo under my belt and former national champs can hand my arse to me whilst thinking about whats for dinner and pondering their witty one liner when I peel myself off the mat.

However, they got to that point by training Judo under world class coaches and against world class opposition for several hours a day every day for 10 years, whilst running, weight training and doing conditioining sessions that would make most people's limbs look at each other with a conspiritorial '**** this ****' look, and then dislocate themselves and leave for an easier life attached to a body of someone who wasn't a semi-professional masochist.

If you have the drive, high pain threshold, guts and sheer bloody mindedness to put yourself throught that for 10 years and can find a club good enough to teach you well enough that that kind of commitment is going to be worth while, then you will be able to achieve that aim.

If not then forget it.

94m
10/04/2010 10:03pm,
Alright, the question I asked was directed toward the reader. I know that people tend to favor a move that they like to do.

And there is no judo in my area only an MMA club which I am in, and I cannot join the wrestling team because my Company commander will not let us do sports in college in fear he will lose us to close to OCS (Marine Corps PLC persona here.)
Also, if you ask "then why are you in the MMA club?" Because what he doens't know will only hurt me.

And if it takes hours to explain post what you know then, obviously one of you must have the time if you are on an internet forum to do such a thing.

Thanks.

Permalost
10/04/2010 10:22pm,
FWIW I took a self defense class taught by a good competitive judo coach in college (note: this was a self defense class, not a judo class). He taught 3 throws: head and arm throw, osoto gari, and tomoe nage. I thought the last one was a poor choice, as I watched like two dozen girls fail at tomoe nage for a good while.

Aaron_
10/04/2010 10:24pm,
FWIW I took a self defense class taught by a good competitive judo coach in college (note: this was a self defense class, not a judo class). He taught 3 throws: head and arm throw, osoto gari, and tomoe nage. I thought the last one was a poor choice, as I watched like two dozen girls fail at tomoe nage for a good while.

Tomoe's, Sumi Gaeshi, and other sacrifice throws are hard for noobs to learn from what i've heard.

maofas
10/04/2010 10:42pm,
Alright, the question I asked was directed toward the reader. I know that people tend to favor a move that they like to do.

And there is no judo in my area only an MMA club which I am in, and I cannot join the wrestling team because my Company commander will not let us do sports in college in fear he will lose us to close to OCS (Marine Corps PLC persona here.)
Also, if you ask "then why are you in the MMA club?" Because what he doens't know will only hurt me.

And if it takes hours to explain post what you know then, obviously one of you must have the time if you are on an internet forum to do such a thing.

Thanks.

One one hand, you should realize that you aren't going to learn how to really throw someone over the internet because two dozen little things have to click simultaneously.

On the other, a crappy osoto gari learned off YouTube probably is the highest chance of working in the harsh battleground of street reality that is the mma "club".

94m
10/04/2010 11:13pm,
To be honest I will be allowed to take MCMAP training this summer for OCC. I plan to delve deeper into it than just getting the standard 35 hour of training requirement.

MCMAP = Marine Corps Martial Arts. Aka Semper Fu.

In the very limited training I have had in MCMAP there is a move we used while in full combat gear called the reap. It is basically a leg hook, but it leaves the one who performed it standing.

Plus, who said I was going to learn anything over the internet solely? I just wanted the names of techniques so I can bring them up to my peers and coaches who I train with.

Aaron_
10/04/2010 11:20pm,
To be honest I will be allowed to take MCMAP training this summer for OCC. I plan to delve deeper into it than just getting the standard 35 hour of training requirement.

MCMAP = Marine Corps Martial Arts. Aka Semper Fu.

In the very limited training I have had in MCMAP there is a move we used while in full combat gear called the reap. It is basically a leg hook, but it leaves the one who performed it standing.

Plus, who said I was going to learn anything over the internet solely? I just wanted the names of techniques so I can bring them up to my peers and coaches who I train with.

if you want to see various throws being performed you can go on judoinfo.com and watch the animations of throws. they have all 67 i believe. try checking those out and seeing which ones you want to ask your instructors about.

goodlun
10/04/2010 11:25pm,
Judo has several reaps in it
kosoto gari http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/kosotogari.htm
osoto gari http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotogari.htm
Ouchi gari http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ouchigari.htm
and a few more sweeps

94m
10/04/2010 11:25pm,
if you want to see various throws being performed you can go on judoinfo.com and watch the animations of throws. they have all 67 i believe. try checking those out and seeing which ones you want to ask your instructors about.

In my first post I stated that most judo throws I find are with a gi, which all the animations on that site use one.

Anyone have any variations, of these throws?? Such as, what hold would I put someone in during MMA if they have no gi to intiate ______?

For example, my modification of the harai goshi I wrap one arm around the neck and grab his elbow digging my finger into that joint, and start from there.

Lindz
10/04/2010 11:30pm,
General consensus by those that know wtf they're talking about is if you want to do no gi judo first learn judo then adapt it to giless grips.

goodlun
10/04/2010 11:31pm,
http://www.no-gi-grappling.com/takedowns.html
has a few of the throws being shown with no gi

Aaron_
10/04/2010 11:39pm,
General consensus by those that know wtf they're talking about is if you want to do no gi judo first learn judo then adapt it to giless grips.

this. learn the proper body mechanics of the throws you want to perform, then later worry about non-traditional grips