PDA

View Full Version : Mother of talented Judoka needs mats

judomom2012
10/04/2010 11:45am,
hello im in desperate NEED of used or inexpensive(is there such a thing?) judo matts needed for garage floor @homefor conditioning,practice,throws etc 15'x15'or close to it would be great. Here is the senario..... my daughter is an EXTREMELY gifted judo/jujitsu champion with 30+ state and national medals,trophies ,ca state games athlete of the year has made pan ams & world team consecutivley ,.tourn. grand champion.etc., etc,the team is 8x state champions etc. Tragedy unfortunatley struck the team and they lost their coach we also lost many team members. this devistated her the harsh facts being that besides me judo/jujitsu & her coach (whom was like a father to her)was the only other constant in her life.There is no one left her size and ability to practice with. . she wants to be the 1st U.S. to take Olympic gold for Judo. one of her teammates has started to work with her @ home in our garage. So there it is if anyone knows where i can get them. PLEASE help this is no joke she's badass judoku , thank you

submessenger
10/04/2010 4:55pm,
Judomom - welcome.

Not sure if this is a viable avenue, but have you tried contacting any manufacturers directly? Surely, some sponsorship avenues must be available if we're talking Olympics.

You also might try looking locally for any gyms / dojos that have either recently moved or gone out of business - either case may have used gear that could be had on the cheap.

It is Fake
10/04/2010 5:02pm,
I know as a parent you are worried but, even just a state name will help some people get you some contacts.

Permalost
10/04/2010 5:12pm,
One of the better mat surfaces for throwing I’ve trained on is made by spreading out a layer of old car tires on the ground and putting a solid surface over it, then putting a layer of padding over that. This was at a judo dojo, so it might be a common thing (I’m not sure; I’ve done very little judo). You might want to ask around the judo community about the specs of something like that. It doesn’t sound too expensive. I think it’s great that you’re looking into this for her; I would’ve loved a throw mat area in the garage.

goodlun
10/04/2010 5:13pm,
One of the better mat surfaces for throwing Iíve trained on is made by spreading out a layer of old car tires on the ground and putting a solid surface over it, then putting a layer of padding over that. This was at a judo dojo, so it might be a common thing (Iím not sure; Iíve done very little judo). You might want to ask around the judo community about the specs of something like that. It doesnít sound too expensive. I think itís great that youíre looking into this for her; I wouldíve loved a throw mat area in the garage.
Here is the mat that he speaks of
http://judoamerica.com/coachingcorner/springmat/

DCS
10/04/2010 5:15pm,
I sense a disturbance in the force...

Anyway, have you tried JudoForum (http://judoforum.com/index.php?)?

Flappyhead
10/04/2010 8:59pm,
One avenue(and it's a bit of a long shot) is to check local elementary schools. A lot of the older ones tend to have gymnastics equipment and mats that they aren't allowed to use anymore thanks to over-reactive parents and the Nanny State. They generally just sit in storage rooms taking up space and collecting dust so they may be willing to donate or possibly "lose" a few to get rid of them.

Again, not a guarantee but at least worth a shot. Even if they can't or won't they may get you in touch with school board officials who could arrange something.

Diesel_tke
10/05/2010 1:48pm,
You have any old matresses laying around? They would be good for throwing onto. But if I were you, I would just buy some good Swain or Zebra mats. They will last a long time, and you don't want your kid getting injured on some garbage. I bought some Swain mats that we roll on (15x10). They didn't cost too much and they are still holding up after about 4-5 years.

Res Judicata
10/05/2010 5:27pm,
What general age are we talking about? Because if she's truly gifted, serious and driven to be an Olympic champion, you may need to send her somewhere to train (like Pedro's). There are only a few places in the US where she'll get right kind of coaching and training partners -- Pedro's, the Olympic training Center, Jason Morris's, NYAC, and perhaps a few others.

Aaron Fields
10/05/2010 6:39pm,
Judomom,

I may be able to help you out. I sent you a private message, get in touch.

Aaron Fields