PDA

View Full Version : the "that guy" thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

omoplatypus
10/01/2010 1:29pm,
we all have one in our gyms. now is your chance to vent.

as for myself, "that guy" is a zit face nerd who's as soft as a DQ blizzard who makes sexual comments about the girls on the team every fucking week. i've corrected him twice, once in front of other guys on the team as they frowned and shook their heads in scorn.

oh, and he wears basketball shorts to practice, which would be fine, but he sometimes forgets to change out of his boxers and into some compression shorts or jock strap. i've seen his nutsack. so have a few others.

Odacon
10/01/2010 2:10pm,

as for myself, "that guy" is a zit face nerd who's as soft as a DQ blizzard who makes sexual comments about the girls on the team every fucking week. i've corrected him twice, once in front of other guys on the team as they frowned and shook their heads in scorn.

oh, and he wears basketball shorts to practice, which would be fine, but he sometimes forgets to change out of his boxers and into some compression shorts or jock strap. i've seen his nutsack. so have a few others.

Snap his arm.

gregaquaman
10/01/2010 2:14pm,
I really cannot think of anyone at my gym who is a duschebag. So that probbly means I am "That Guy"

Arskanator
10/01/2010 2:18pm,

Crush him, see him driven before you, and hear the lamentations of his... umm... mum?

WhiteShark
10/01/2010 2:27pm,
We only have "that guy" in the white belt class. Unless you mean the 280 pound former NCAA champ and wrestling coach who is supposedly a blue belt. He's not a jerk on purpose just miserable to roll with.

Permalost
10/01/2010 2:31pm,
We had this guy at my kung fu school who thought he was already a martial arts expert since he was a brown belt at a United Studios Mcdojo. He was such a stereotypical weakling I feel bad even raggin on him, but he was kind of a douche so it’s sort of justified. He had a bag of inhalers and stuff and had to leave class fairly regularly to take breaks (and I didn’t run especially hard classes; old ladies and stuff could keep up). He looked like a combination of Napoleon Dynamite and Fred Ettish, and sparred with that goofy waving one arm up one arm down sideways horse stance style. I was astounded to learn that he was 24 years old; I thought the guy was like 15. He always had a drawing pad with him, presumably to draw ligers.

There was also a guy, mid 20s, who did event security. I almost never saw him train, but he had been at the school for years. He had the pasty, doughy build of a serious desk jockey or gamer, and he would talk about how sparring isn’t that useful since a low side kick could cripple someone. He also tried to assume some badass points because he was a security guard, but I was also a guard and knew just how non-badass the job of a security guard is. I never sparred with him, but I’ll bet I could have shown him what a tool he was being about barely training and avoiding sparring.

Eudemic
10/01/2010 2:33pm,
Krav being RBSD tends to attract more than its fair share of 'that guy's, but the worst is probably this one who is not at all athletic, very injury prone, and keeps taking away from class time by asking lots of very specific, scenario driven, what-if type questions during instructional times.

Worst of all, though, is that he keeps asking me to "do some training with him outside of class", or "go to the range sometime" which I would typically love to do, but the way he does it always seems to come off as being really creepy in a 'I want to get you into the back of my van' sort of way. . .

Danno997
10/01/2010 2:36pm,
Knee on belly for the entire match next time?

CoffeeFan
10/01/2010 2:44pm,

If I ever had that guy in my class I would grind his face with my knee til he learned to respect his fellow students. I would then have my wife beat the crap out of him until he starts to cry.

kendamu
10/01/2010 2:49pm,
"That guy" in our group looks kind of like Napoleon Dynamite, wears fingerless biker gloves to training, has an exaggerated "badass" strut that looks like he's trying to un-stick his ballsack from his leg, and always argues with our instructor about the techniques and drills we're practicing and always comparing them to "the style he practiced before coming here."

When asked about where he used to train, he stated that he came up with his own style based off of martial arts movies he's watched.

Uncle Skippy
10/01/2010 3:26pm,
Thankfully, "that guy" doesn't last very long at a good school.

Upper belts enforcing "no spazzing" with 4 minutes of knee on belly, "no dickheads" by nobody wanting to roll with him, and "no visible nut sack" by bringing out the tazer weeds people out early on.

"Did your balls just peek out?"
"NO!! NO !!! GOD NO!!! THEY DIDN'T!!! PLEASE!!! BELIEVE ME!!"

Arskanator
10/01/2010 3:29pm,
I was a little That guyish when I started Hokutoryu. With four years of hapkido under my belt(which was back when I was a kid), I used to 'correct' the errors the others were making and talking about how 'in hapkido we did this and that'. Luckily I soon understood just how stupid I was acting and dropped it.

goodlun
10/01/2010 3:37pm,
I will tell you this much I felt like that guy last night.
It was my 3rd night of doing BJJ. I am a little out of shape(ok a lot) and I still haven't really recovered from the other nights yet so my legs are already burning and fairly tired.
So we are doing mostly drills last night that required our partner to jump guard and to hold them up.
Yeah I think I dropped my partner 3 maybe 4 times.
Yep on the next jumping guard technique I watched a purple belt sit there and try and figure out how to tie his belt for a while. Hint taken.

helmutlvx
10/01/2010 4:23pm,
I do my best to help keep "that guy" out of my gym.

Usually a "misplaced" kick right in the solar plexus separates the men from the boys. I'm just lucky I haven't done that to a guy with any wrestling skills yet.

I've gotten the "What if such and such knives blah blah Jeet Kun Do mutter mutter this is how I did it in TKD" before. I used to try and take the time to answer those questions to some degree after training. But then there would just be more and more.

So now my policy is "Shut the **** up or I'm going to punch you in the throat."

Cannon_6
10/01/2010 4:55pm,
One "that guy" was the dude whose sparring gloves smelled like Limburger cheese. You could smell them from six feet away.

I haven't seen (or smelled) him in a few years... he probably had to have his hands amputated or something.

Permalost
10/01/2010 5:14pm,
While I was doing systema, there was a bunch of weird guys- it’s an art that only seems to appeal to kind of an odd crowd. There’s this one heavy guy who’s only interested in the “real world”. The assistant instructor was showing a compression lock on the knee that you could get while rolling, and he said something about how he couldn’t see himself doing something like that, because if he was fighting someone with a knife that wouldn’t be a good idea. I replied that altercations can happen at all different levels of force and you’re severely handicapping yourself in reality if you’re only training for the most dangerous scenarios. While grappling continuously, with only enough of a break to switch partners, several people including him were gassed, while I was doing fine since I was relaxed and using people as lumpy mattresses while they spazzed out. While rolling with him (and keeping a top position) he said something about how in real life, it would be a good time to pull out his knife, and I said something about how I was the one in a murdering position.