PDA

View Full Version : What about black belts in Sambo?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hiro Protagonist
10/01/2010 11:52am,
Hi all,

Just commented on a review given by user "soundless".

Aiki Academy [American Top Team Affiliate], North Branford CT - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99658)

So, what about black belts in SAMBO?

I know they are rewarded in-house with a certain frequency (I think a few of you fellow bullies have one, too), but at least AFAIK, there is no governing body or association giving out belts in SAMBO yet. Is that right so far?

Not trying question anyone's legitimacy, just asking.

Thanks,

Rafe

Omega Supreme
10/01/2010 12:07pm,
It's sort of a sore subject with me. When the Soviet Union collapsed and Russia went out into the world they tried to bring other martial artist in (realizing I'm giving you a very collapsed version of this). FILA issued out a hand book (I know I saw it) that gave a break down of what it would take to be a SAMBO blackbelt. When I got ahold of this I was already a Judo Blackbelt (fairly non practicing) and was exploring Japanese Shootfighting. The curriculum in SAMBO was easy to follow considering my background at the time.

I tested for my blackbelt. Over the years I felt that there should be higher standards so I've made my blackbelts harder to come by. In house blackbelt? I'm not sure if I should feel insulted; but I'll put my ranking system against anybody's any day of the week.

It is Fake
10/01/2010 12:30pm,
I know they are rewarded in-house

but at least AFAIK, there is no governing body or association giving out belts in SAMBO yet. Is that right so far?
Can of worms. I could argue from both sides all day.

WhiteShark
10/01/2010 12:45pm,
The only thing that matters is "Master of Sport" awarded by the Russian government everything else is crap!

Omega Supreme
10/01/2010 1:08pm,
The only thing that matters is "Master of Sport" awarded by the Russian government everything else is crap!

Yes I agree, BJJ is crap.

WhiteShark
10/01/2010 1:12pm,
If the Brazilian government awarded "Master of Sport" in BJJ it might be worth a damn but as it is? meh.

Omega Supreme
10/01/2010 1:24pm,
If the Brazilian government awarded "Master of Sport" in BJJ it might be worth a damn but as it is? meh.

Your logic is flawed.

WhiteShark
10/01/2010 1:50pm,
Are you trying to integrate the value of a Master of Sport title? Try the inverse trigonometric form of integration instead. You will get more reliable results.

soundless
10/01/2010 1:56pm,
Can of worms.

Best way to describe it.

If I had said he was a blackbelt in sambo it would have been corrected when I read through the post for accuracy on a second pass. I did the review awfully fast if you couldn't tell by my completely neglecting the entire connection to ASA.
As it stands the post and the current school website don't contain any references to a sambo blackbelt.

Omega Supreme
10/01/2010 2:06pm,
I've already talked to Steve about that school awhile ago. His statement (paraphrasing), they are just a school in good standing.

CoffeeFan
10/01/2010 3:02pm,
It's sort of a sore subject with me. When the Soviet Union collapsed and Russia went out into the world they tried to bring other martial artist in (realizing I'm giving you a very collapsed version of this). FILA issued out a hand book (I know I saw it) that gave a break down of what it would take to be a SAMBO blackbelt. When I got ahold of this I was already a Judo Blackbelt (fairly non practicing) and was exploring Japanese Shootfighting. The curriculum in SAMBO was easy to follow considering my background at the time.

I tested for my blackbelt. Over the years I felt that there should be higher standards so I've made my blackbelts harder to come by. In house blackbelt? I'm not sure if I should feel insulted; but I'll put my ranking system against anybody's any day of the week.

You shouldn't feel insulted. I think Rafe was just pointing out that a black belt in SAMBO is recognized locally rather than internationally such as with Judo that has a database on who has rank.

Your test was easy BTW, I was yawning the whole time. :toothy5:

CoffeeFan
10/01/2010 3:04pm,

My name is Coffeefan,
You insulted my black belt.
Prepare to Die!

:qtank:

AMF
10/01/2010 3:05pm,
Yes I agree, BJJ is crap.

I realize I should probably already know this, but why do you think BJJ is crap?

Again I should know this, what would you reccommend as a grappling art instead of BJJ; with or without the gi?

Hiro Protagonist
10/01/2010 3:16pm,
Thanks for the info, everyone!

As it stands the post and the current school website don't contain any references to a sambo blackbelt.

Not quite, and this is why I asked:

http://www.aikiacademy.com/tp40/page.asp?ID=249367

Paul Bergevin (Youth Instructor)

[...] Paul is a 2nd Dan black belt in Combat Sambo.

Paul attends Southern Connecticut State University.

http://www.aikiacademy.com/tp40/page.asp?ID=249366

Ian Smith, CPT, Full Instructor

Ian is a black belt in Combat Sambo and a blue belt in BJJ.

As I wrote in the review thread, I don't think they are any way untrustworthy, or whatever.

It seems to me as if they are a bit busy padding their resume and collecting belts, in general. (Which is pretty normal, lamentably.)
They would do themselves a favor in being more transparent about their lineage, at least.

Hiro Protagonist
10/01/2010 3:26pm,
You shouldn't feel insulted. I think Rafe was just pointing out that a black belt in SAMBO is recognized locally rather than internationally such as with Judo that has a database on who has rank.

Your test was easy BTW, I was yawning the whole time. :toothy5:

Yeah, exactly this. "In-house" meaning that one is not member of a larger governing body or association. - I never received anything other than in-house certifications, for example.

Hiro Protagonist
10/01/2010 3:38pm,
- And an apology: I just realized the two instructors claim belts in Combat Sambo, which, according to my google-fu, is trained in schools with belt systems that look suspiciously like Kempo.

For example, if they got their belt here:

http://www.combatsambo.com/combatsambo_home.html