PDA

View Full Version : Juijitsu vs Brazilian Jiujitsu

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

shotfghter
9/29/2010 9:48pm,
I ended up visiting a Cambodian Kickboxing place to learn Pradal Serey. Good workout, whatever. Afterward my friend says "you want to roll?" He is about my age (22) and is a trainer in the place.

I Immediately had a bad feeling. I knew he was going to try to show off his skills. I also knew that the Juijitsu guys don't really play the same way the Brazilian Jiujitsu guys play. So I explained to him "I'm a white belt, NO LEG LOCKS, NO SUBMISSIONS" I like to roll. I do bjj, that's my hobby.

So I played it cool, casual rolling, taking the back, and just holding position, letting go and trying another position out. Then he says "I'm going to actually try now" I wanted slap him. Why go all out? His wrestling is good, no doubt. What I hated was how he was in my guard, then he reaches his hand out - puts a finger on my neck and then says a number. "Thats, x spot 22".

And he kept doing that, pointing out spots on my body with numbers or names. Then he sticks his thumb in my jaw line or something, and says some more mumbo jumbo, wtf?. He was grabbing on to my neck with one hand and then trying to break my guard open with the other. I wanted to Arm bar or triangle him for being so condescending. He gets the mount, lays on top of me, and in typical wrestler fashion - just stays there. What happened to a friendly roll?

Wtf is the deal? Would that **** on my neck really warrant him giving up his arm like that? I "wrestle" too, he was better, but he didn't even try to learn or improve. If I mount or Omo Plata, I let the guy go, then get in half guard or practice something I suck with.

I will never roll with a Juijitsu/pressure point wrestler guy again.

helmutlvx
9/29/2010 9:55pm,
You should've kneed him in the balls and said

"How's THAT for a pressure point?"

But yeah. Fucking kyusho. Always ruins a good time.

leafar
9/29/2010 10:04pm,
So I explained to him "I'm a white belt, NO LEG LOCKS, NO SUBMISSIONS" I like to roll. I do bjj, that's my hobby.
I'm also a bjj white belt, but I don't understand what you do when you roll if you don't look for submissions ? Just switch positions ?

shotfghter
9/29/2010 10:07pm,
I'm also a bjj white belt, but I don't understand what you do when you roll if you don't look for submissions ? Just switch positions ?

he goes for a kimura from the knees (According to Matt Phillips, they attempt such maneuvers) or something along that lines and I get my arm broken. It was a friendly roll, but I didn't know what he was capable of, and I knew he had something to prove.

helmutlvx
9/29/2010 10:10pm,

Work the guard, passing, sweeps, transitions. All kinds of ****.

Now get into Newbietown, you scamp.

leafar
9/29/2010 10:12pm,
Oh OK, I got it wrong then, it read it like "i train/roll that way" from :

So I explained to him "I'm a white belt, NO LEG LOCKS, NO SUBMISSIONS" I like to roll. I do bjj, that's my hobby.
seemed weird, we never roll that way at the gym.
Anyway in that case, what helmutlvx said, I'm off :)

jspeedy
9/29/2010 10:17pm,
I ended up visiting a Cambodian Kickboxing place to learn Pradal Serey. Good workout, whatever. Afterward my friend says "you want to roll?" He is about my age (22) and is a trainer in the place.

I Immediately had a bad feeling. I knew he was going to try to show off his skills. I also knew that the Juijitsu guys don't really play the same way the Brazilian Jiujitsu guys play. So I explained to him "I'm a white belt, NO LEG LOCKS, NO SUBMISSIONS" I like to roll. I do bjj, that's my hobby.

So I played it cool, casual rolling, taking the back, and just holding position, letting go and trying another position out. Then he says "I'm going to actually try now" I wanted slap him. Why go all out? His wrestling is good, no doubt. What I hated was how he was in my guard, then he reaches his hand out - puts a finger on my neck and then says a number. "Thats, x spot 22".

And he kept doing that, pointing out spots on my body with numbers or names. Then he sticks his thumb in my jaw line or something, and says some more mumbo jumbo, wtf?. He was grabbing on to my neck with one hand and then trying to break my guard open with the other. I wanted to Arm bar or triangle him for being so condescending. He gets the mount, lays on top of me, and in typical wrestler fashion - just stays there. What happened to a friendly roll?

Wtf is the deal? Would that **** on my neck really warrant him giving up his arm like that? I "wrestle" too, he was better, but he didn't even try to learn or improve. If I mount or Omo Plata, I let the guy go, then get in half guard or practice something I suck with.

I will never roll with a Juijitsu/pressure point wrestler guy again.

The guy sounds kind of like a douche, but no subs? I'm a white belt too, so i'm all for taking it easy. If a friend who knew a little bit wanted to roll i'd assume the wasn't he just wanted a little sport, not the type of rolling for the mutual benefit of both guys typically done in class (sometimes). In which case if he gave up his arm to do some stupid pressure point stuff, i'd take it and make sure he knew that **** wouldn't work on me.

shotfghter
9/29/2010 10:26pm,
The guy sounds kind of like a douche, but no subs? I'm a white belt too, so i'm all for taking it easy. If a friend who knew a little bit wanted to roll i'd assume the wasn't he just wanted a little sport, not the type of rolling for the mutual benefit of both guys typically done in class (sometimes). In which case if he gave up his arm to do some stupid pressure point stuff, i'd take it and make sure he knew that **** wouldn't work on me.

I'm going to attend his classes but I think I'm going to straight up tell him, I don't want to learn any George dill man karate stuff. teach me your wrestling and thats it.

helmutlvx
9/29/2010 10:29pm,
Be careful with that.

Asshole Kyusho guys will instead try to go with "No, man, this really works. Here, lemme show you. (start jabbing thumbs into you)"

Larus marinus
9/29/2010 10:32pm,
Wtf is the deal? Would that **** on my neck really warrant him giving up his arm like that?

Dunno. What effect did it have on you? I've read loads of different stories about the effectiveness (or lack of) of pressure point stuff - ranging from 'It's hooey', through 'it's something different to try that they might not be expecting' to 'poke him here, here, here, here and here in this order and he'll have a seizure'...

shotfghter
9/29/2010 10:34pm,
He went easy on me. He was showing off. "I could easily apply the point here". I wanted to reply,"cool - try that from my Omo plata/arm bar/triangle".

Larus marinus
9/29/2010 10:50pm,
He went easy on me. He was showing off. "I could easily apply the point here". I wanted to reply,"cool - try that from my Omo plata/arm bar/triangle".

Just speculating, but unless he was one of those death touch/instant KO guys, he may have been working on the premise that if he tagged you with a pressure point strike, that it would cause you to flinch momentarily from the unexpected pain, giving him enough time to move on and do <whatever>.

I was browsing Mark Tripp's short-lived, now-gone forum the other week and I came upon a series of posts (old posts reposted from somewhere else - don't know where) in which he mentioned that Dan Severn had successfully used a pressure point strike (or two) in this manner in one of the early UFCs...

helmutlvx
9/29/2010 11:10pm,
Pressure points aren't really supposed to do that.

The sharp strike getting a flinch response, I mean. (Okay, I'm bordering on derail, but let me just make this quick.)

It's just another set of targets on the body that you can press on to get a pain response. A lot of pressure points are what you would aim for like the "button", liver, kidneys, jaw, temples, that sweet spot in the ribs, right where you hit with a low kick is a pressure point, etc.

But then you have weird ones like right under the eye, in the armpit, slightly below the nipples, the extra skin in between the thumb and pointer finger, in between the metatarsals of the foot, weird **** like that.

Do they work? I guess. There's no point manipulating them because if you compare the "OW **** THAT HURTS" factor between say, manipulating the point in the forearm or an armbar.

An armbar hurts way worse. It's higher percentage. The "pressure points" that are useful are already being taught. Anything else is parlor tricks.

battlefields
9/29/2010 11:23pm,
Yeah, not going for submissions was your problem there. If you hadn't said that then the moment he goes, "w43bravo" you go *fwish* and wrap the fuckers arm in an armbar. He would've had to start doing the whole, "yeah, but if I had actually pushed it, you wouldn't have got that because you would have been debilitated with pain" and you go "okay, reset", he knows an armbars coming, he pressure points you, bang, slap on a triangle. He'll be defending the armbar before he realises what happened.

Man, it's all so simple.

goodlun
9/29/2010 11:29pm,
Odd I didn't think pressure points where a big part of old school Jujitsu. A lot of the old Jujitsu revolved around dealing with someone else that is also wearing armor.
When I think of Pre-Kano Jujistu I think of the guys at like Quantum JuJitsu(I know videos of them have been posted on here).
The differences between BJJ and JJ should be vast you have all the changes Kano made than all the changes made to the system by focusing on ground fighting.

Omega Supreme
9/29/2010 11:43pm,
OP:
1 You're a *****.
2. I would've fucked his ass up after his first comment.

Everybody else:
For the record I have my guys grapple for position when they first start.