Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 5:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pankration/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun - Stand Up Game

I'm an old hand at Pankration and MMA. I have been on the mat for years rolling around with the best of them. I found my stand up game lacking when it came to using basic kick boxing/orthodox boxing. So to try something new I have been learning Wing Chun. I have found it to be a remarkable addition to my skill set and am having instant success with it improving my stand up game. It straightened me up and has improved my hand speed and accuracy no end.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotElGuapo View Post
    I'm an old hand at Pankration and MMA. I have been on the mat for years rolling around with the best of them.
    The best of them ? Really ?

Like who?
    I found my stand up game lacking when it came to using basic kick boxing/orthodox boxing.
    Maybe you should actually try training in Boxing or Kickboxing instead of just pretending
    So to try something new I have been learning Wing Chun.
    I have found it to be a remarkable addition to my skill set and am having instant success with it improving my stand up game.
    Where do you train Wing Chun , Pank, and MMA at ? I find it hard to believe that you find Wing Chun striking superior to real MMA training.
    It straightened me up and has improved my hand speed and accuracy no end.
    Vids please.
    I seriously doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pankration/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on a minute.

I put up a question wondering if anyone else has been using any Wing Chun in their MMA training in good faith.

All you do is, cut up and attack me like everything I say is fabrication. I have no need to justify myself to a clown who offers nothing to the actual question.

If you have no interest or experence in my question, can I suggest you just don't answer, rather than appear like a tool?

A friend of mine said this forum was a good place to discuss all MA. Or is this just a place where people asking genuine questions just get shot down by people who feel that they have to challenge everyone to satisfy their own inadequacies?

Oh and to satisfy one question, trained with Father Smith, Will-Machado, Gracie, Dip,Canavan and others in seminars etc.
    Last edited by NotElGuapo; 9/13/2010 6:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 6:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on a minute.

I put up a question wondering if anyone else has been using any Wing Chun in their MMA training in good faith.

All you do is, cut up and attack me like everything I say is fabrication. I have no need to justify myself to a clown who offers nothing to the actual question.

If you have no interest or experence in my question, can I suggest you just don't answer, rather than appear like a tool?

A friend of mine said this forum was a good place to discuss all MA. Or is this just a place where people asking genuine questions just get shot down by people who feel that they have to challenge everyone to satisfy their own inadequacies?
    You could at least answer who the "best of them" are.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 6:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then you might want to check your friends. If they told you to post that OP they aren't your friend.

They would have told you to have your fight record, vids if possible, and word "the best" better than you did.

Especially with the
    I have been learning Wing Chun.
    I have found it to be a remarkable addition to my skill set and am having instant success with it improving my stand up game.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually had a similar experience, as have many others. Wing Chun is having a greater and greater presence in MMA:

YouTube - Wing Chun Defeats MMA

Anyway, you might as well just tell us point blank that you're a troll. We can still have fun even if you do.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 6:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on a minute.

To answer your question then, No. Every person that I've run into using WC has found it to be less useful and less effective than Kickboxing, Boxing, Muay Thai, etc... etc... Everyone else on here who has trained WC in the past will tell you approximately the same thing. For that reason we find it very strange that you are the exception to those experiences and would like to know where you trained your Pankration/MMA and where you trained your Wing Chun so we can compare those schools to similar schools which teach those arts and find out whether you found T3H Awesome Wing Chun, or if you were training a less than stellar MMA school.

In short, your experiences differ from our own and we would like to find out why.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an old hand at Pankration and MMA. I have been on the mat for years rolling around with the best of them. I found my stand up game lacking when it came to using basic kick boxing/orthodox boxing. So to try something new I have been learning Wing Chun. I have found it to be a remarkable addition to my skill set and am having instant success with it improving my stand up game. It straightened me up and has improved my hand speed and accuracy no end.

Honestly...I've said for many years that I've basically ONLY seen wing chun work when the people who made it work already had some fighting experience / knowledge before they started training wing chun. The really good wing chun fighters I know were tough and could fight before they started training the Chun...but with the Chun they were monsters.

I've commented on many threads where I have admitted that my own wing chun experiences (which in my mind were extraordinarily good) were largely good because I had formed my own opinions on fighting through experience before I joined the school. The other reason my experience was so good was because I was lucky enough to find a really good, down to earth, no bullshit Sifu. But the fact that I had some experience and opinions allowed me to participate in the process of my education and thus made it much more applicable to my real life.

I would be interested in Chainpunch's and Tom Kagan's experiences here. They have seen countless more Wing Chun people than I have.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on a minute.

Good faith ? What is that suppose to mean? If you wish people to not question you, you need to go somewhere else like Martial Arts Planet or something.
    Clown ? You think asking questions and seeking more information about the topic is being a clown?

What is wrong with trying to clarify and understand where you are coming from.

I have NEVER heard of a person having INSTANT improvement in their stand up striking game coming from a legitimate MMA school and moving to wing chun.

Never.

Hence my questioning about your training past and present.
    Might I suggest the same ? You look extremely ignorant with your position of Wing Chun is more effective than MMA striking, boxing, and kickboxing.

Again I ask : Where did you learned MMA, boxing, kickboxing and wing chun?
    A friend of mine said this forum was a good place to discuss all MA.
    It is a great place to discuss all Martial Arts. You will not get mindless yes men and style worship as you do on other forums.
    Or is this just a place where people asking genuine questions just get shot down by people who feel that they have to challenge everyone to satisfy their own inadequacies?
    I am trying to figure out if you are asking a genuine question. Hence my interest in your current and past training. As stated before your statements fly contrary to my personal experiences and observations in the 15 years I have been involved in various martial arts.

Oh and to satisfy one question, trained with Father Smith, Will-Machado, Gracie, Dip,Canavan and others in seminars etc.
    Seminars are not actually training. They are supplemental events to introduce you to new concepts/styles or to flesh out your regular training.

So who do you train your striking with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 8:25pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like where this thread is going...

inb4 ch-ch-ch-chunner!
Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast