Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 3:49pm

Style: newbie judo+muay thai.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can you still link some vids of your groundwork techniques?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 9:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The martial arts academy I'm training at teaches many arts :
    Bujinkan ninjutsu, Shaolin Kung-fu, Jeet kune do, Kenpo karate, Jujutsu, muay thai, taekwondo and mma.

Every student of every class is invited to participate in the "multistyle combat course" where you can test yourself against oponnents from other martial arts. Those fights are live (or resistance or no compliance) training.

Very good training since you really dont know what to expect !

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 10:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I love stats. Here is a simple concept if a grappler wants to take the fight to the ground and the other guy is not a grappler it will end up on the ground.
    Even with my very rudimentary grappling experience(mostly as a kid) 100% of all my "street fights"(ie bullies at school, a-hole at the bar, that sort of thing) as always ended up on the ground. Gravity is a bitch.

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 12:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread reminded me of this comic

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:29am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsnake View Post
    The martial arts academy I'm training at teaches many arts :
    Bujinkan ninjutsu, Shaolin Kung-fu, Jeet kune do, Kenpo karate, Jujutsu, muay thai, taekwondo and mma.

Every student of every class is invited to participate in the "multistyle combat course" where you can test yourself against oponnents from other martial arts. Those fights are live (or resistance or no compliance) training.

Very good training since you really dont know what to expect !
    This is interesting. I feel obligated to ask if there are any online vids.

Some more direct questions:
    1.) Do students from all of the disciplines actually take part?
    2.) Does one style tend to provide more participants to the class than any of the others? Is there a reason for this?
    3.) Does any one style tend to dominate?
    4.) How do the TMA's -- particularly the Bujinkan -- fare against the MMA and Muay Thai?
    5.) Any guesstimate about how many fights go to the ground and how long they last there?

Thank you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 6:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    This is interesting. I feel obligated to ask if there are any online vids.

Some more direct questions:
    1.) Do students from all of the disciplines actually take part?
    2.) Does one style tend to provide more participants to the class than any of the others? Is there a reason for this?
    3.) Does any one style tend to dominate?
    4.) How do the TMA's -- particularly the Bujinkan -- fare against the MMA and Muay Thai?
    5.) Any guesstimate about how many fights go to the ground and how long they last there?

Thank you.
    Hi Styygens, and thanks for your questions.
    At this time there is no videos online, but I already ask permission to do so and await the answer.

1. Yes they do take part, but not everybody on a regular basis. You could go to, say, 3 consecutive courses and not see someone from kenpo, for example.

2. Bujinkan provide the most participants on a regular basis. MMA and Muay Thai fight a lot in their own courses, but some come anyways. Jujutsu is a strong presence also, but kenpo guys are few and far between. I have not seen a shaolin guy yet, but I was told they like the courses and will be there... eventually. Cant tell why it is so. Since there is no obligation to go there, I can only guess that individual taste for combat is the motivating factor of participation.

3. I been told the most dominant fighter is Muay thai. But I have not seen (not been there long enough) a dominating style. It is more a question of dominating fighters. However, bujinkan are a bit "hated" - for lack of a better word - because they, like me (sorry, mom), dont fight fair (eg: pressure points, the occasional eye poke or groin slap). Yes, even the mma guys dont like us. BUT BUT BUT the mma courses began only recently and all fighters are relatively low level. Not the other styles, though. They call us the "fucking ninjas". Did not see a taekwondo guy yet. Been told they saw ground fighting as dishonorable. Yes, I am ironic.

4. So far we fare very well generally (even when fighting fair...). That being said we have the most participants, most of the nights. Muay thai are a real pain in the arse, mma are young in experience but really energetic and powerfull. However their presence lack a bit of consistency (for both styles). I'd like to see them more. I only fought bunjinkan to date, but the guys told me they like better to go to the ground against muay thai and even mma.
    I cant tell who "won the most fights" when I went because I had my hands full and a bloody nose.

5. Best guesstimate is all fights, except kenpo and muay thai between them, go to the ground at one time or another. I think guys want to test their techniques, so it is not representative of anything in my opinion. They do not stay very long on the ground, but since sometimes guys teach each others tricks of the trade (Hey ! how the hell did you pull this off ??!!!), you cant always tell is the fight is still live so I 'd say this : ground fighting last under a minute.

So, let me please say again that I'm new to this academy, and maybe my perception is wrong and maybe i been talking to the wrong people. However, if I'm wrong, I will happily edit this post when I found out. This point of view represent the present picture at MY academy as I see it NOW. I do not think that the results are the same everywhere (for example, bujinkan will beat muay thai anytime for 2 guys training for the same lenght of time). So all you ninja haters, sceptics or anything, please dont burst in fire (no evil ninja pun intended).
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456