Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 6:23pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plasma, Has the style the OP is talking about produced any effective fighters from scratch? Just curious.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 10:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Plasma, Has the style the OP is talking about produced any effective fighters from scratch? Just curious.
    Depends on what you mean by from scratch unfortunately. All of the Japanese can have someone point to the fact they did Judo (all Japanese do Judo during High School). As for non Japanese, you have to discount wrestlers for the same reason. But I have seen the Genbukan produce some solid fighters, mostly from the 90s (especially the Israelis) when Tanemura had a giant chip on his shoulder and encouraged full contact and frankly pretty dangerous training. In fact I have the video on DVD of Tanemura breaking someone arm during a weapon disarm. It seems those days of the Genbukan are long gone.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 3:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ninpo taijutsu & jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mike321 and lionknight
    the taijutsu and jujutsu we train in does not focus on prolonged grappling, its effectivly an old form of reality based self defence. Do i belive i could hold my own against a similar ranked bjj/judo player in a fight. Yes. But bettering them in what they focus on, i dont think so! I have grappled with a friend who did bjj for 6 months and i usually beet him. But what im really asking is are their any genbukan members out there who have similler feelings about what i originaly asked?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 5:02am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taijutsurampage View Post
    I have grappled with a friend who did bjj for 6 months and i usually beet him.
    And what was this guy training intensity? He wouldn't happen to be one of your dojo mates who went to a BJJ class once in 2-3 weeks for a 6 month period?

Because we did have a ninpo guy do that in my Judo dojo, and then report that he got "owned" by his dojo mates.

On the other hand, we have had a "Kung fu master" and former (now banned) member challenge a staff member (a forum leader at the time) here on Bullshido, and got beaten in less than 90 seconds. Our staff member was at the time a white belt in BJJ with 10 months of MMA training, but as far as I know, he trained consistently (at least 3 times a week).
    Last edited by judoist; 9/14/2010 5:07am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 7:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no he is a friend, and excellent boxer of 6 years weighing 15 stone, so hes not short of strength. He trained 3 hours a week for 5 months. Spoke to him earlier! Thats the point i was making originaly. There are only a 10-15 guys at my dojo i would want to train with, and most are alot higher grades than me. What i'm asking is, has any one else in the tma's had similar problems. I've had a bit of experience in western and tai boxing, loved the sparring but never really got into it. I've been thinking of cross training in a pure grappling art for a while now. any recommendations and why?

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 10:53am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mike321 and lionknight
    the taijutsu and jujutsu we train in does not focus on prolonged grappling, its effectivly an old form of reality based self defence. Do i belive i could hold my own against a similar ranked bjj/judo player in a fight. Yes. But bettering them in what they focus on, i dont think so! I have grappled with a friend who did bjj for 6 months and i usually beet him. But what im really asking is are their any genbukan members out there who have similler feelings about what i originaly asked?
    So how EXACTLY is your grappling different?

First you say you couldn't beat them, then you say you do, you really need to be more clear.

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no he is a friend, and excellent boxer of 6 years weighing 15 stone, so hes not short of strength. He trained 3 hours a week for 5 months. Spoke to him earlier! Thats the point i was making originaly. There are only a 10-15 guys at my dojo i would want to train with, and most are alot higher grades than me. What i'm asking is, has any one else in the tma's had similar problems. I've had a bit of experience in western and tai boxing, loved the sparring but never really got into it. I've been thinking of cross training in a pure grappling art for a while now. any recommendations and why?
    BJJ
    Judo
    Wrestling.

because they are well thought out systems and because people who compete have genreally put more thought into what they do.

or just find a school and wrestle with them and join the school that beat you up the quickest.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2010 3:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lionheart
    I'm saying i THINK i would lose to a bjj guy who has been training for the same length of time as me, not 5 months. Our grappling is quite different, usually involving a strike, sweep, throw or standing lock. We really train to spend as little time on the ground as possible, so all the matches i've ever won against my friend or class mates have bed over very quickly. Or we try and stand up and start from their. Unlike bjj practitionars who love to work from the ground!

Posted On:
    9/15/2010 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai,

When I trained in kenpo, we would do sparring in preparation for point sparring. Light contact and winner is first person to make contact. On many occasions I would be paired with students that were willing to up the contact, keep fighting in a clinch, and work past the initial strike. I found this training very valuable. However, in hindsight, I believe this was an indication that I should have explored full contact styles for my training. This story is not about taijutsu but I believe it is what you are talking about.

Posted On:
    9/15/2010 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your grappling sounds like a few added moves to a striking regime. The classic example is when thai fighters grab someones neck in order to set up a knee strike. Many arts have these added moves: trips, throws, etc. They are generally not an acceptable alternative to knowing how to grapple. (I don't think many people treat them as such nowadays. Anyway, the proven method for developing a strategy for "spend as little time on the ground as possible" is to become a competent grappler including offense and defense, and then using the knowledge to stop takedowns.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast