Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 3:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Question

so im locked in and about to begin judo how banged up do u get. If you watch some of the clips people are landing on their head and all kind of havoc just curious also anything i should begin to work on

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 4:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strengthen your neck. Practice your falling alot. Don't be rigid, stay as relaxed as you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 5:01pm

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to class. the first thing you learn is how to fall properly. otherwise, just work on your general fitness for now

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 5:59pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post
    go to class. the first thing you learn is how to fall properly. otherwise, just work on your general fitness for now
    ^^^^^THIS for sure

Some might ask "what the hell do you mean fall properly?!" Just go to class and they make sure you know how. The best part is the skill of ukemi can be used outside of Judo. I've survived many a skateboard wipeout thanks to knowing how to fall.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 6:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ghostsp78,

In the nicest way possible, you need to start to Shut up and train. You can start as many threads as you like asking about various things to 'prepare' you for Judo, but in reality what you should be doing is getting on the mat and learning Judo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 7:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well classes dont start until first of october im sorry that u feel my threads are pointless or somehow are disrupting your life trust me im ready but i cant go kick in the door and say train now!

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 8:42pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, the first thing to realize is that you are probably watching competition and not training videos. The higher level comps like the Nationals and Worlds are far more likely to have people injured due to people turning out of throws rather than breakfalling. That said, you will get banged up. It is a physical activity. Your body will adjust and you'll get better at ukemi with practice and you will recover more quickly from practice as you become accustomed to throwing and groundwork.

Just like others have stated, nothing will prepare you for judo but judo. So stop working yourself up and getting anxious over this. You have a month until you start so just do what you normally do then when class starts enjoy it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 6:41am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was already stated, so there's no real use to repeating it, but hey, you asked so here goes.
    Get fit, the fitter you are the more you'll get out of the training session.
    This is more for conditioning and cardio, and less about muscles and strength, not saying Judo isn't physical and those things aren't important, but you're just starting out, so the better shape you're in, the less you'll gas in practice - specifically randori, the more randori you can do, the more you learn, easy as pie.

Also, Judoka_uk actually gave you very sound advice.
    All the threads online you read or create, will tell you that until you do judo nothing will help your judo (I should know, I've created my share).
    Judo makes your body operate differently, you will learn to relax when falling. this is the most important thing to learn starting out, I knew a little ukemi from TKD (yeah, who knew TKD would teach me something useful?) and it really helped me relax in practice, I can learn more and get injured less, and there's still tons to practice in the terms of ukemi alone.

His other piece of advice about shutting up and training, is mostly about listening to everything the coach says and trying to learn, without arguing and thinking you know better, or anything for that matter.

So don't worry, you'll start soon enough and love it, if you really want to do something for it, work out.:icon_thum

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 9:14am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ghostsp78,

In the nicest way possible, you need to start to Shut up and train. You can start as many threads as you like asking about various things to 'prepare' you for Judo, but in reality what you should be doing is getting on the mat and learning Judo.
    That's my line. Actually it's STFU and train. Limey bastards.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 10:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    That's my line. Actually it's STFU and train. Limey bastards.
    We Limeys are a little more sophisticated then you swamp dwelling colonials. Although 'STFU and train' is definitely (C) Coach Josh, lol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast