Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 4:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: transitioning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Considering a new style in Stockton

So, recently I've been considering moving away from Krav, mostly because there isn't much sparring until you hit the higher belts, and even then I'm not entirely sure how often it goes down since I'm usually hungry and on my way back to campus by the time the lower belts are done. I've been lurking for a while, so I've had plenty of exposure to the importance of training aliveness in many of these threads, and now I'm kind of worried about how applicable what I know is. Not that the drills at the Krav place I go to now are all compliant, but I'd really like to get into more sparring.

Anyhow, I was going to look into this other nearby place called Shingu Fighter Academy. They've got a bunch of different classes, and the ones that most interest me would be boxing/kickboxing/bjj. I'm going to call the place later, ask about fees, try to arrange an observation, etc. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had heard anything about the place, and if they have any advice for me on my search, haha.

(Wasn't sure if this'd be the right area for this question, but I thought I'd seen similar threads here before and I figured it would get lots of exposure. I apologize if this was a noob move D: )

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 4:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This school is technically in Lodi, CA. but that's right outside of Stockton.
    I would LOVE to train with Cesar Gracie, Nate and Nick Diaz.

http://www.lodijiujitsu.com/index.html
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 4:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school's website:
    http://www.shingufighter.com/

it is stated on his site he has a BJJ Black Belt under Caio Terra and has trained several professional fighters, such as Nick and Nate Diaz and Steve Heath

This would have been a good Newbietown thread. I did a search on the site and didn't see any other postings about this school. When you call, I would suggest asking about an intro class.

It certainly seems like a legitimate school and you may have found yourself a nice little hidden gem of a school.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 7:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: transitioning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, nice, sounds like I have some options then! I can't believe I hadn't heard of that place, PizDoff, I'm from Lodi...must've been blinded by my Krav nutriding when I was just starting out training : /

Yeah Snake, I did a search too and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask, didn't want to get too excited and just jump into something, haha.

Sorry I didn't put this in Newbietown. Thanks for the feedback!

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 12:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddiel View Post
    Wow, nice, sounds like I have some options then! I can't believe I hadn't heard of that place, PizDoff, I'm from Lodi...must've been blinded by my Krav nutriding when I was just starting out training : /
    You have a couple of options and you should try them both out and see where you get the best *feel*

Yeah Snake, I did a search too and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask, didn't want to get too excited and just jump into something, haha.
    Hopefully this is your voice of reason and experience speaking as you
    "jumped into" your krav and it doesn't sound as if you are liking it, as much.

Sorry I didn't put this in Newbietown. Thanks for the feedback!
    So far,everyone has behaved themselves, it would just have prevented some LOLKIROTTY jokes.

Again, give those schools a call, set up a free lesson, hang out and train with the students and see where your fit is.

Good luck and keep us informed. Maybe write up a nice little review?