Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    Style
    Bowie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Next repub project: Driscoll!

    A friend and WMA associate, Bruno Cruicchi Sarkissian, has loaned me two antique boxing books. The first [drumroll]...

    The Straight Left and How to cultivate it by Jim Driscoll, circa 1914-1920

    This book is in really good condition and will be a joy to repub.

    You can irritate your JKD friends by getting the hardcopy (when I'm done, of course) and showing it to them but not offering to loan or telling them where you got it. <evil-grin>

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  2. #2
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,809
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, I've heard good stuff about Driscoll's works.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    211
    Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will you cover his work with the Marine Corps, his influence on close quarters combat training in the Marines in the 1920's and 1930's, which includes "bayonet fencing"? And, will you consider a section of evaluation on his techniques which were repudiated, namely the bayonet fencing and knife fighting?

    I don't know anything about his boxing, or other skills. Your write-up will be appreciated.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,590
    Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    A friend and WMA associate, Bruno Cruicchi Sarkissian, has loaned me two antique boxing books. The first [drumroll]...

    The Straight Left and How to cultivate it by Jim Driscoll, circa 1914-1920

    This book is in really good condition and will be a joy to repub.

    You can irritate your JKD friends by getting the hardcopy (when I'm done, of course) and showing it to them but not offering to loan or telling them where you got it. <evil-grin>

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Is this "Peerless" Jim Driscoll? Or someone else?

    Thanks

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    Style
    Bowie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Cool, I've heard good stuff about Driscoll's works.
    From my pre-repub browsing of the book, yeah, it looks really good.

    He was known as a very skilled and technical boxer.

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    Style
    Bowie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Will you cover his work with the Marine Corps, his influence on close quarters combat training in the Marines in the 1920's and 1930's, which includes "bayonet fencing"? And, will you consider a section of evaluation on his techniques which were repudiated, namely the bayonet fencing and knife fighting?
    Probably not. If I do, it will only be in the blurb.

    You may not be familiar with my republishing hobby. I republish antique manuals. Though I have written one original book, that is not the thrust of my hobby. Old books by masters of old. :)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    Style
    Bowie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Is this "Peerless" Jim Driscoll?
    The same. "Retired Undefeated Feather-weight Champion of the World."

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    Style
    Bowie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Made myself set down and scan in all 75 pages last night.

    Start retouching pics over lunch today.

    Yay!

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    762
    Style
    judo, parenting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Will you cover his work with the Marine Corps, his influence on close quarters combat training in the Marines in the 1920's and 1930's, which includes "bayonet fencing"? And, will you consider a section of evaluation on his techniques which were repudiated, namely the bayonet fencing and knife fighting?

    I don't know anything about his boxing, or other skills. Your write-up will be appreciated.
    As Kirk says he will only mention this in passing, could you expand on this?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    475
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Made myself set down and scan in all 75 pages last night.

    Start retouching pics over lunch today.

    Yay!

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Congrats. Looking forward to seeing the final work.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO