Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 2:59pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we require koshinage at 3rd kyu...right around there. Its from a two wrist grab and we have three variations that are generally reqruired; O goshi, Kata Guruma, and the other one that's not in Judo curriculum (at least not my dojo's Judo curriculum). Again, our teacher doesn't ask for them by name unless he knows you know them (to make things easier/save time). Any variation can be asked to be performed from any attack for previous techniques on tests...and we practice those in class. Just for testing I think koshinage is only a requirement at 3rd kyu (again, we do A LOT of previous techniques requirements on tests and really that just means any attack-koshinage combination they come up with in their head at the time).

My affiliation is odd...my organization has both Yoshinkan and Aikikai (AAA based) dojo...following their own separate curriculum. Dojo, like mine, focus on a hybrid of the two (we live very close to the head Yoshinkan instructor, even though we started as a AAA dojo, so we have a lot of that Yoshinkan influence...those that live very far away have little Yoshinkan influence apart from annual seminars). Anyway, without getting too off track, our kicking influence comes from our national (AAA) director who has been a proponent of kicking and kick defense since the 1970's. He constantly pestered Toyoda Sensei to teach kick defense stuff until Toyoda Sensei relented. I am quite certain the Yoshinkan schools are now doing kicking because of our national director's influence. As a matter of fact, our last seminar a few weeks ago we had a kick defense clinic...and no, I didn't video it because I forgot...again...as usual. I'll try to hit up some guys and see if anyone got digital video of it. I'll shoot you a PM with some Youtube stuff of kick defense's that I took in the past.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hugo,

That sucks about weapons training. We slimmed down ours and now have 97 weapons forms (5 tanto kata, 5 jo kata, a few bokken kata, and the rest are continuation drills and kumi buki). It took about 7 years or so for me to appreciate bukiwaza, but now I find its one of the most important aspects of my training. And NOT so much as a means to an end of helping with my toshu waza as many people claim.
    Last edited by daishi; 9/09/2010 3:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 3:10pm

Style: boxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I would definately appreciate seeing some of the kick defenses and pins again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh...the 97 weapons forms are from my weird organization's Yoshinkan curriculum...and is atypical to Yoshinkan schools. The weapons influence is from Takashi Kushida based on Kashima Shinto Ryu and Muso Ryu Jodo influences.

While on the subject of examinations and weapons; here is the weapons requirements from our Yoshinkan-based aikido Shodan Exam:

Tadoku Kata (alone form):
    Jo dai San
    Tanto dai San

Oyo Kumitachi (advanced sword vs. sword):
    Ki Osae Do Giri
    Kote Giri Gasshi Uchi (4 variations)
    Sasoi Awase Tsuki

Kumitanto (knife v knife):
    Ju no Kumitanto (10 variations)

Kumi Jo (jo v jo):
    Sasoi Harai Tsuki (4 variations)

Kumitachi Jo (sword v. jo):
    Yokomen Udegaeshi Renzoku

Again, NOT typical to YAF Yoshinkan curriculum...its our little group's own thing influenced from former YAF director Takashi Kushida who now head the Yoshokai.

I digress....big time..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 3:49pm

Style: boxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anybody know where/when the kicks actually came into the curriculum to begin with? Were they there from the start or were they introduced by deshi/uchideshi who had a previous background in karate or something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my lineage is started in the late 70's at the AAA in Chicago. Not sure if that is still included in their curriculum, or their offshoots (Shinjinkai, AWA).

It would be easier to track down when kicking started in your curriculum...if it ever did. To track down who the first person to implement kicks in aikido...that would be almost impossible to know for sure.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12