My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 9:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Thank you. It has occured to me, but I'm not bothered, I would rather produce respect through the quality of my posts than a tag. Although if someone wants to give me a tag I have no objection. It should be noted that other very knowledgeable Judoka like BKR don't have black belt tags. If someone demands my credentials I am more than willing to supply them along with the limited competition footage there is of me. However, I prefer privacy and don't believe I have the knowledge nor the reputation to be interntionally known lol!

Although if someone is desparate to award me a BB tag I don't mind forwarding my credentials as long as I remain anonymous.
    I do have a black belt tag, however, I have no idea how I ended up with it, as I never requested one, nor have my "credentials" ever been challenged here.

Either Mark Tripp (who I've never met in person) vouched for me, or Coach Josh, who has done Judo with me (I was one signatory on his shodan certificate-well deserved I might add), did the same.

I agree though, black belt tag doesn't mean anything if the advice is no good.

Ben

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 2:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now i have heard that judo as a self defense is good aswell if anyone can break down how that works that would be great aswell

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 4:47am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Thank you. It has occured to me, but I'm not bothered, I would rather produce respect through the quality of my posts than a tag.
    I definitely respect that. Just thought I'd suggest it, in case it never came up.

OP:
    Judo is considered a good MA for self-defense, 1st because it almost always trains alive, as in with resistance, which lets you test in real life your techniques against a resisting partner trying to do the same to you.

2nd, it teaches enough ground to let you know what you're doing if you get there, and also covers the standing grappling game very well.

there's A LOT more, but I'm gonna shut up now and let the people who know what they're talking about explain.

However, I will send you here:
    http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical...-a-martial-art
    If you really want to learn more about Judo you should visit Judoinfo and search the wealth of information. Also you can search here in Bullshido for other threads, since Judo is a common subject of discussion here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 6:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anyone know of judo tournaments and what are they called like i know that bjj has naga grapplers quest etc..

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 6:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsp78 View Post
    now i have heard that judo as a self defense is good aswell if anyone can break down how that works that would be great aswell
    Throwing people onto the floor really hard and being able to render them unconscious are quite good self defense skills.

As are being confident, fit and secure in the knowledge that you have a powerful usable skill set to end conflict which in of itself can prevent conflict even starting and allow you to walk away from situations because you don't feel the need to prove yourself. I can throw, hard, Judo black belts who've been practicng for years if not decades and know exactly what I'm going to do yet they still can't stop me throwing them, so I know I can throw a random drunk idiot, through the pavement, with my O soto gari without much trouble.

This knowledge means I don't feel the need to fight the person because, frankly, I gain nothing. So I throw them, they end up leaking claret on the pavement with every onlooker yelling that I just killed him. My night is ruined and possibly my life with resultant criminal charges. So before it gets to actual fighting I can desecalate the situation and walk away, because walking away isn't a threat to my man hood or fighting prowess and then I still get to enjoy my night out and chase girls/get drunk/ banter with my mates etc...

anyone know of judo tournaments and what are they called like i know that bjj has naga grapplers quest etc..
    There's this quite big Judo tournament you may have heard of, its called the Olympic games...

There are hundreds of Judo tournaments throughout the year catering to everything from complete beginners to internationally ranked competitors. If you want to compete in Judo and as long as you don't live in the middle of the Taklamakan Desert then you are spoiled for choice.

Names of Judo tournaments vary a lot for instance I have entered local club tournaments that were named after deceased club members to regional tournaments named after where they were held etc...

Some well known tournaments in the UK include the Heart of England Open, Bev Price team tournament, North West Open, Red belt rumbles etc...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to the Olympics, there are all the international qualifying tournaments like the Grand Slam, World Cup, and Open events. The World Championships are going on right now in Japan. USA won a gold medal today. You can follow the latest news and see videos at http://judoforum.com in the News and Video sections.

Good luck with your judo.

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 9:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also who makes good gi's i know my bjj is koral but who are the top companies that make judo gi's

I've worn Swain gi's available at century for a while now. They hold up incredibly well and I rank them right up there with the mizuno gi's at much lower cost.

Keep in mind that gi choice is pretty subjective. Gi's manufactured to international standards are going to be pretty close to each other on paper, but some people like and other's like coke. Go figure.

I'll also point out that I don't agree with owning cheap single weaves for regular club use if you're going to compete.

Practice like you play. Find some double weaves you like and go from there.

Also, don't size them similar to your bjj gi's or you'll wind up with sleaves that are too short to be legal in shiai.

Good luck and have fun!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12