Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 3:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo share the knowledge

well so as im about to embark on this judo journey any tips good historical facts or anything you have please unload the knowledge. as im going into this not knowing to much about it other than its an olympic sport and you throw people and their are a few subs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 3:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also who makes good gi's i know my bjj is koral but who are the top companies that make judo gi's

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 4:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I restarted Judo as an adult I caught up quite quickly because I was fairly big and strong - about 90 kg/ 200lbs - and because I had some musclse memory from when I was a kid and didn't really have fear of falling after doing Judo as kid and Rugby for many years.

I did quite well I could throw people and went from 6th kyu to 3rd kyu in my first grading. At this point I was doing what every other big strong kyu grade who has had some succes does I carried on doing exactly what I was doing. However all this changed when I started going to a local club with my friend who was a dan grade. Everyone on the mat was a dan grade and there were a couple of former national champs knocking about. I got thrown, held down, strangled and arm locked repeatedly again and again and again. This happened for a period of about three weeks. However, during this period I kept on training at my university club and was still 'winning' the randoris. However, every time I went to this other club I got repeatedly and seriously owned.

So I sat down to myself and looked at what was going on. I came to the conclusion that what I was doing would only get me so far and that if I wanted to get any good at Judo I would have to start making changes. So I asked my university coach what I should do if I wanted to get good at Judo. He told me - practice. I said 'yeh thats great, but practice what and how?'. He paused and then said some very good advice:

1. Don't rely on a high grip or over the back grip or round the back grip. Take a classical grip it allows you to throw in any direction at any time and in pretty much any situtaion. If you take an over the shoulder grip, over the back grip or round the back grip you can only really attack in one direction and your opponent has less to worry about.

2. Don't do makikomi, don't do 'drop' seoi nage, don't do sutemi waza. As a beginner you can get away with just doing these throws and scoring by being stronger or heavier than your opponent, but you will always come up against people who are stronger and heavier and who are just plain better at Judo so don't reduce your Judo to just these. Also any technique where you have to drop to the floor to do it means you effectively have no combinations, if that attack fails you have to stand up, which makes you vulnerable or turtle which again makes you vulnerable.

3. Develop combinations - backwards and forwards, left and right, ashiwaza to major throw, major throw to ashiwaza etc... Especially concentrate on your ashiwaza a Judoka with good ashiwaza will always worry an opponent and create opportunites to throw.

4. Never neglect newaza. A Judoka who's dangerous on the ground will always be dangerous and can carry on doing newaza much years after their speed and strength has left them in tachiwaza.

5. Never be content with 2nd place always strive for perfection in your technique, always strive to win by ippon never be content with a wazari, always try your best and expect the best of yourself.

With this advice in mind I set myself to work I upped my Judo to 4-5 times a week sometimes 6. I did what he told me, I listened to what all the knowledgeable and good Judoka had to say I sought out their knowledge and advice.

The result was I won my first dan 16 months after I'd started Judo.

When I won my dan grade somebody asked me what it is someone should do if they wanted to get to their dan grade. I said this and I think most of it is still good advice today:

1. Practice Judo to get better at Judo not to go up the ranks

2. Basics. Work as hard and as often as you can on the basics. Do as many quality uchikomi as you can do. Don't worry about flying juji gatames, standing armlocks or one handed sodes. Work on solid basic throws. Break them down and work and work on each part. I.e Footwork on entry. Hand positioning. Kuzushi. Body placement. Study every aspect and try and perfect each bit. Start slow and get quicker as you improve.

3. Relax in randori. Don't be afraid to get thrown and to try throws. Don't muscle in just for the sake of 'winning' a randori. If you only throw them once, but try 100x that's still a good randori.

4. Find good practice partners. This is, I think, the hardest part and where I got luckiest. Find a club where there are lots of good quality dan grades and upper kyu grades. The better the people you practice with the better you will get.

5. Challenge yourself. Seek out the highest grades, the strongest, the fastest and the heaviest. Learn to deal with the extremes and become comfortable with them. Then normal people seem easy in comparison.

6. Watch lots of Judo. Watch high level fighters especially the Japanese. Watch how they move. Watch how they throw and how they work on the ground. Learn to spot the moments where its pure skill and little strength. Then re-watch those moments till you understand: what they did, how they did it and what happened to allow them to do it.

7. Use Judo info and the attached forum. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience on there.

8. Get fitter. I think this is often overlooked, while Judo does get you fit, most people's lifestyles don't allow them to be fit just purely off Judo. The fitter you are the more you can get out of each session. The more uchikomi you can do before your technique breaks down, the more throws you can do in randori before your technique fails. The longer you can go in randori without resting and depriving someone else and yourself of a training partner. Contests become a lot easier as well!

9. Shop around. Seek out new knowledge and challenges. Take advantage of the wealth of Judo that there is in your country.

10. Remember Technique over strength. Long term over short. When I switched from trying to muscle everything to trying to throw cleanly and working purely on technique I found it really hard. It makes you feel like a sh*t Judo player for weeks if not months. Because quite simply its like being a white belt again only worse because people you could 'beat' before are now walloping you several times each randori. But persevere because when you do start catching people when you do feel things becoming smoother you realise that all those times you got thrown were actually worth it and quite useful ukemi practice. I'm far from perfect on any throws probably never will be on 3/4 of the gokyo, but I've become better and hope to get better at the ones I've found that suite me. So in conclusion, head down, work hard, don't give up no matter how hard or rubbish you feel and the rewards will show themselves in your Judo, often when you least expect.

Hope some of that helps.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 4:55pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's good advice. The upshot is to think towards long-term development and not immediate success. Things like the high collar and over the back grip, makikomi, etc. can lead to good cheap short-term success but are detrimental to long term development.

Find a good coach and pay attention to him or her. The level of detail and advice I get from the head instructor at my club (a rokudan) is miles beyond the shodan/nidans. He's a walking encyclopedia of Judo techniques ("today we're doing Fujii's kosoto gake into tomoe nage"; "today is Sekine-style ko uchi gari and combinations").

Uchi komi is about learning motor patterns. Don't burn them in wrong. You'll need instruction and correction from someone. Do it right before doing it fast.

You'll need to play with a lot of throws to see what works for you, but don't give up on a throw if your coach says its for you. It took me almost a year of repeated effort to start throwing people with tai otoshi. I stuck with it because coach told me to do so. Now it's a go to throw. Of course, sumi gaeshi and tani otoshi worked immediately and easily for me, so go figure.

Put some time into "small" throws. Things like o uchi gari, ko uchi, ko soto gari/gake, sasae tsurikomi ashi, etc. are major combination starters.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Res Judicata also offers some very good advice.

I am considering doing a few how to posts on Judo throws seeing as the basic and advanced grappling technique forums are dead, however, I'm not sure there's enough interest.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** ill read them i never new judo was this indepth i thought it was a few throws and a few trips but it seems like alot more than that how many ground subs do u learn i have about 6 months worth of bjj also who are some of the better judo players i should watch.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsp78 View Post
    **** ill read them i never new judo was this indepth i thought it was a few throws and a few trips but it seems like alot more than that how many ground subs do u learn i have about 6 months worth of bjj also who are some of the better judo players i should watch.
    Judo throwing techniques are very highly developed as you can imagine. The transitional newaza positions are less developed - guard, half guard, guard sweeps etc...

My Judo coach is a pupil of Neil Adams so I learnt a lot of entries into Juji gatame and turnovers into newaza along with entries into Sanaku jime.

If you want to watch great Judo then Yasuhiro Yamashita, Katsuhiro Kashiwazaki, Neil Adams, Angelo Parisi, Kosei Inoue etc... are all true technical greats.

Because of Judo's rules the real key is to be able to attempt a throw and then transfer quickly into newaza.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 7:05pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: there's A LOT of good info on Judoinfo.com, and I really mean A LOT, Judo is a very rich MA, it takes a very long time to get good at it, but from what I gather, it's really worth it.

Judoka_uk, that's a lot of good advice you gave him.
    Also, have you considered asking the mods for the Judo BB tag, it's nice and shiny and also lends extra credibility to your comments, not saying you're lying, but it's in the spirit of the site. And also helps us know who the serious people on the site are.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 7:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Judoka_uk, that's a lot of good advice you gave him.
    Also, have you considered asking the mods for the Judo BB tag, it's nice and shiny and also lends extra credibility to your comments, not saying you're lying, but it's in the spirit of the site. And also helps us know who the serious people on the site are.
    Thank you. It has occured to me, but I'm not bothered, I would rather produce respect through the quality of my posts than a tag. Although if someone wants to give me a tag I have no objection. It should be noted that other very knowledgeable Judoka like BKR don't have black belt tags. If someone demands my credentials I am more than willing to supply them along with the limited competition footage there is of me. However, I prefer privacy and don't believe I have the knowledge nor the reputation to be interntionally known lol!

Although if someone is desparate to award me a BB tag I don't mind forwarding my credentials as long as I remain anonymous.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Thank you. It has occured to me, but I'm not bothered, I would rather produce respect through the quality of my posts than a tag.
    Pushups
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast