Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 12:31pm

Style: Judo Crash Test Dummy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I did ne waza with a few guys last weekend who were wearing mouth pieces. They had a hard time breathing, it seemed to me.

I never saw the need for them in Judo, but to each his own. For striking arts, I'd wear one for sure.

Ben
    The risk in judo is probably vanishingly small. Having said that, I took an elbow in the face doing newaza last week and now have a chipped tooth. Albiet a very minor chip.

Hence I am currently awaiting delivery of my gum shield as I decided to go the Gucci ruote and have one made based on a mold of my increasingly manky looking mouth.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    Right, I just was wondering about molding vs not molding the mouthpieces. I know there is inherit risk with pretty much anything. Obviously wearing a mouth piece especially in striking arts is a good idea. I'm not saying, based on my brother losing a tooth, to not wear mouthpieces. I was just curious as to whether anyone actually goes through the process of molding the mouthpiece.

My brother seemed to think, since there was always a sort of suction break when he removed his mouth piece, that maybe it wasn't molded properly, and that suction to his teeth may have played a part in his losing a tooth to the rugby gods. I don't think we could ever know for sure.
    a non-molded mouth guard will never protect you as well as a molded one. your brother's was most likely not done properly.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All those years of Aikido were worth something.

My Ukemi is fukken top notch :)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 4:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydynamicist View Post
    The risk in judo is probably vanishingly small. Having said that, I took an elbow in the face doing newaza last week and now have a chipped tooth. Albiet a very minor chip.

Hence I am currently awaiting delivery of my gum shield as I decided to go the Gucci ruote and have one made based on a mold of my increasingly manky looking mouth.
    I should have said, anybody with braces has to wear mouthguard, at least when I'm running the practice.

I've got plenty of chipped teeth from doing Judo. The concussions concern me a lot more, though. though. though. though. though.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear mouth guards are supposed to mitigate certain types of concussions.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 11:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I hear mouth guards are supposed to mitigate certain types of concussions.
    Maybe, but all the concussions I've gotten in Judo, a mouthpiece would not have done me any good. I did break off half a premolar once, when a sandan threw me with uchi mata so hard I saw stars (in a shiai).

I don't discourage mouthguard use in Judo. It's a personal choice as far as I'm concerned.

Ben
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455