Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well so far good stuff thanx guys maybe you guys are better at research then me as far as wakefield i live far away from their .also this might seem like a dumb question but how is the difference in training judo vs bjj(bjj we have two really good schools here) also the jujutsu question im talking about the japanese one not the brazil one so any of the japanese would be great ! and as for aikido im def alil sad to hear its not so super

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsp78 View Post
    well so far good stuff thanx guys maybe you guys are better at research then me as far as wakefield i live far away from their .also this might seem like a dumb question but how is the difference in training judo vs bjj(bjj we have two really good schools here) also the jujutsu question im talking about the japanese one not the brazil one so any of the japanese would be great ! and as for aikido im def alil sad to hear its not so super

Once more in English please?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:29am

Style: boxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido isnt all that bad provided that you have previously trained in some sort of "active" fighting style before. Seeing that you say that you have done some, you will definately find something there that you like...at least I did. I definately learned alot as far as judging distance and the timing and putting my body in the right place at the right time.

http://www.shobuaikidoofcapecod.com/

Ive heard that Gleason sensei is pretty damn good. My school is also an ASU school and it tends to be fairly non complyant if you will as far as the pratictioners taking a dive. Of course there are some here and there that just fall sometimes but they are usually corrected over time to not do so because nobody learns anything if their uke just falls.

Ive never really trained judo other then a quick class before bjj once or twice but would love to try it out for a longer period of time as it seems pretty fun.

Oh, also, if you try Aikido, give it a couple of months. Its very awkward at first since you arent really trying to muscle the technique. At least give it a couple classes cause if Gleason sensei is anything like mine he dumbs it waaaay down for somebody on his first day just so you dont get hurt or hurt yourself (and yes, you can still get hurt in Aikido and most likely will). To be totally honest with you just go and try a couple classes of both and see which art you like the best and then stick with it.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsp78 View Post
    also this might seem like a dumb question but how is the difference in training judo vs bjj
    Judo will focus almost entirely on throws and stand up grappling, with a little ground fighting thrown in. BJJ is the exact opposite of this.

The rules for BJJ are more permissive than judo though, allowing for a wider range of submissions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah thanx well the fates have smiled upon me and their are two judo schools near me that im going to look at . I will let you know how it goes also going to try and study up on judo !thanx guys

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:49am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pre warning; depending on the school Judo can be pretty hard on the body.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 12:37pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Expanding on what Lu Tze and Omega said, that is another difference between BJJ and judo: Because the focus is different (judo = more throws less groundwork, BJJ = less throws more groundwork), BJJ tends to involve falling down a lot less. It’s generally regarded as less hard on the body than judo. (The groundwork is often less aggressive and more technical, too, because judoka have narrow time limits on groundwork and have to work fast.)
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 2:52pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Pre warning; depending on the school Judo can be pretty hard on the body.
    Shhh....

Wait, you mean there are schools that aren't hard on the body?

32 isn't too old. You won't be world champion or anything, but you'll be fine. I started at an older age with a number of old injuries and I'm okay. It's been awesome. For me, it's much more fun than BJJ.

Learn to fall. And relax. It's much easier when you're confident in your ukemi (falling).

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 2:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know someone who started Judo aged 40 got his black belt by aged 50 and is now a British masters champion.

Take heart old Judoka there is hope for all! lol.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu/aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a similar boat myself, now choosing between taking up hontai yoshin ryu (very lucky to find koryu jujutsu here in Europe) or judo.

For what its worth, I did about five years of Western 'jujitsu' as a kid (in the UK, read 'jujitsu' as 'judo, with a somewhat adjusted syllabus') and in univesity I did aikido religiously for two years. At first the lack of aliveness was a shock. However with good and extensive aikido training an opponent who knows **** all about grappling, can't fall properly and doesn't know how to escape a lock won't be a problem for you. Against an experienced judoka you'll likely be thrown from here to Hiroshima and god bless if they get you to the ground. If self-defense is your first goal, judo and its dirivatives like BJJ and British jujitsu should be your first port of call.
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast