Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 9:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido myth or truth

First off i am new to the forums, anyways i have tried many ma mt,bjj,karate and as i have become older (32) before father time totally consumes me i am hoping to reach a high level of skill in an art. since i was young 3 styles i have always wanted to learn Judo Jujutsu and aikido. where i live (cape cod mass) we have some judo clubs no jujutsu(i wish) that i have found atleast but we have some aikido clubs of which in boston we have two that seem legit. out of these styles I have noticed that aikido catches a bad rap alot and i see comments like aikido is crap fake magic etc. well im trying to get to the bottom of this is this style crap or is maybe a harder style to master or what? i am interested in taking this style up for some self defense purposes i have no desire to enter mma (love to watch) and just prefer the traditional arts. Also how does aikido compare to judo (my other option) well thanx guys and i look forward to articulate responses.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:06am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do judo.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it pretty much comes down to it is really difficult to stop a punch or kick and then lock it unless it is done really slow and then left out there for you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you actually live in Cape Cod or just in the area?

*Aikido is great if you like ballroom dancing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nah i really do live on cape cod but the judo clubs around make me alittle nervious because they dont even have a web page or much of anything you never hear about them. but aikido seems really popular i can't believe it is a worthess style with such a good history and its founder seemed amazing!

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you compare something like Judo to Aikido you will see that Judo has a lot of multiple point of contact throws that are gross motor skills practiced against a fully resistant opponent. Aikido has a lot of single point of contact throws which are fine motor skills practiced with compliant partners. Aikido demos look great, to the untrained eye. Who wouldn't want to send multiple attackers flying and flipping in every direction with little or no effort at all? Look again and you will see the ukes running headlong almost mindlessly trying to grab hold of thetori's wrist, only to hold on for dear life as they then propel themselves through the air. It's make believe. Then watch some judo randori. It speaks for itself.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsp78 View Post
    First off i am new to the forums, anyways i have tried many ma mt,bjj,karate and as i have become older (32) before father time totally consumes me i am hoping to reach a high level of skill in an art. since i was young 3 styles i have always wanted to learn Judo Jujutsu and aikido. where i live (cape cod mass) we have some judo clubs no jujutsu(i wish) .
    You're unlikely to find genuine Koryu Jujutsu as its rare even in Japan let alone in America or Europe.

Learn Judo, but accept that it will be a difficult and frustrating progress especially at your age. I'm not an American so don't know Massachusetts, but how far away from Wakefield are you because there's excellent Judo to be found there:
    http://www.pedrosmartialarts.com/basicintadults.php

Judo clubs not having a website or having a massively under-maintained one is very common. Judo clubs are run on shoestring budgets by volunteers who usually only have enough time to teach the classes and make sure the rent is paid they don't tend to have the time to spend making fancy web pages or updating them regularly.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 9/08/2010 10:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:41am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done karate for over 15 years, aikido for over 11 years, and judo and jujitsu for about a year (consistently for a year...on and off for 9 years, mostly off).

That being said, I personally don't like aikido schools that use the term "ki" to answer questions and deify aikido's founder Morihei Ueshiba. Aikido, like many Japanese arts, is known for its students making up BS about their teachers in order to help deify them. I couldn't train at most aikido dojo on a permanent basis, but I visit many. You seem to be already training aikido since you list it as your style..so how do you feel about it? If its something you want to spend you time and money on then you shouldn't be guilted into not doing it. That being said, if your looking for practical means of self defense, aikido is not the best way to go about it. However I know all sorts of people that train in aikido who are martial artists in something else; jujitsu, judo, BJJ, MMA, iaido, kendo....they all find value in the training, even if that value isn't necessarily directly translated in "the street" or "the cage."

Don't freak out about judo clubs not having a website. I know many talented martial artists that are still "technology holdouts." Most of the ones that have websites are because they pay someone else to do them. With that, don't be too quick to judge if a website seems a bit McDojo'y as many places have other people manage their website. Got to check the places out for yourself and give them more than one look (unless its really really bad). And just because there are a lot of aikido dojo in your area doesn't mean they are good or bad...I wouldn't look too much into that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:44am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he means juitsu not jujutsu....but I could be wrong. But yea, real koryu is not easy to find as most modern people are not willing to subjugate themselves to that kind of training and discipline.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ghostsp78,

While only a lowly shodan in Aikido, the judo recommendations you are being given are solid.

32 is not that old. Was much older than that when I started. Granted, I suck at judo, but you'll learn more in a months time and be in better shape than a years worth of aikido.
Page 1 of 55 1 23451151 ... LastLast