United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 12:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The boot thread!

Everyone knows to be an effective member of the military, and I assume, to be a good LEO, you've gotta take care of your damn feet.

Lets talk boots, shall we? Selfishly, I'd like to to hear about AUTHORIZED boots that I can wear, (gotta have a fancy EGA on the heel, making it a pain in the ass to get decent boots)

But lets talk all boots. Favorite types? What do you recommend for various climates/conditions/environments? Lightest? Heaviest? Most comfortable? Most breatheable?

Input, gents, if you will.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Input, gents, if you will.
    Who're you calling a gent?

Edit: Obviously I am a civilian and have little to no knowledge on combat boots, but I have spent a long time in the AAFC (Cadets) and long hours on a parade ground and on course, not to mention block work, camping, hiking etc.
    Hope you dont mind my input.

I'm wearing my GP's right now. Used to be my cadet boots, now they're my motorcycle/ whenever I feel like them boots. Had them since if was 12 (I'm not even kidding) and they're the best boots ever. I look after them, because I want them around for another nine years.

Have a pair of taipans I scored off the RAAFies on my cadet SNCO course, best biv boots ever. Dont wear them much anymore, unless we go bush bashing or something.

My block boots are Rossi's.

Hiking boots are a goretex Colombia's. Obviously, these are my hiking boots.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:29am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Danner's are super comfy but heavy and hot. Bate's Ultralights are comfy and lightweight but aren't the most durable. Haven't gotten the new hybrid with the leather toe yet...they r enroute.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:36am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...not sure if I like the Bates or Bellville's better as far as standard issue goes. Mostly because I don't pay attention to which ones I'm wearing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 2:08am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a pair of Wolverine boots I wear. Steel toe, black, little over ankle high. I doubt there's a catch-all good boot, different boots suit different people. I needed a boot good for outdoors and working in a garage so I got this pair because they were slip resistant, waterproof, steel toe and comfortable. The only thing I can think of that all boots you get should be would be decently slip-resistant. In most practical applications their is little need for more slipping.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 4:27am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been wearing Danner Arcadia for years, although a little heavier than most patrol boots, I've never had any issues with them - either the gortex lined and unlined desert versons, both perform great. In fact one pair I've had resoled twice, that's how much I use and like them.

I also have a pair of Lowa (sorry don't know the model) these are equally great boots for both conventional and desert operations.

Without sounding a dick.. socks are almost just as important as the boots you wear, wearing **** socks negates many of the benefits of the boot. Make sure your socks are good quality mate.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:25am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** issue boots; every single pair I've ever been issued suck copious amounts of ass.

I have a pair of Altama ExoSpeed IIs that are the best things I've ever put on my feet. Seriously, I'd wear them to work every day if it wouldn't start to weird out the civilians. They also rush-delivered the replacement pair (got the wrong size) directly from the factory for me because I had an upcoming drill and tossed a t-shirt in with the order, to boot. (PFI).

We should have a LEO/Military Gear review section.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:44am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stonking Idea.

Let's sort it Neal..
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:53am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boots that I have worn in the course of my deployments:

Merrell Pivot. Okay, more like shoes, but they're awesome if you're not climbing up and down mountains or carrying a heavy ruck.

Merrell Moab Ventilator Mids. Great assault boot when you have varied terrain but won't be carrying a heavy ruck. The laces are kind of flimsy.

Asolo Power Matic 400 gvs. Heavy ass goretex backpacking boots. I replaced the original insoles with superfeet green insoles. These are my boots for when I will be rucking. I made the mistake of not breaking these in properly before wearing them on a boot run. That was a pretty painful lesson.

As Hugo Stiglitz mentioned, socks are pretty important. Spend the money on good socks. Buying cheap **** socks will negate the benefits of most nice boots, thereby wasting your money and destroying your feet. My two personal favorite socks are both made by Thorlo. Their anti-fatigue line is supposedly antimicrobial (I have no idea if this is true or not), but more importantly, they have a good moderate cushion. The second sock I wear is their combat boot line, which has an extremely heavy cushion. The trade off is that the combat boot line is extremely warm, so combining them with goretex boots will make your feet sweat a lot. Don't use them with goretex boots if it's not cold or a relatively short hike.

That's assuming you like having your heels intact.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:57am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standard issue boots should only be for garrison wear. Wearing them overseas is a terrible idea. Thanks big Army.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast