Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 4:42pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keyoz View Post
    It was me being sarcastic in response to Backfistmonkey calling alchemy “chemistry of the day” comparing it this way to a real scientific discipline.
    Thank G-d. I hate debating that ****.

"LOL, the red fluid is OBVIOUSLY such and such chemical compound"
    "Really? Why didn't any alchemists agree on where they got their fucking powders from?"
    "dunno, lol."

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was me being sarcastic in response to Backfistmonkey calling alchemy “chemistry of the day” comparing it this way to a real scientific discipline.
    Why don't you read it again and see that I was plainly saying it was the precursor to modern science. I believed I said "chemistry of the day".

Not modern chemistry or an exact science.

It was people attempting to collect data and make sense of the world around them. Unlike today it is NOT their fault that they were ignorant as all hell and fumbling around in the dark grasping at the metaphysical and mystical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 7:33am

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprore View Post
    No, they're claiming the combat techniques presented in the manuals are scientifically valid
    Let me quote the OP again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimaira View Post
    concepts of Renaissance martial arts .... were all based around science
    scientifically valid =/= all based around science
    Most EMA techniques are scientifically valid but weren’t developed and based on science.

Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    In astronomy, there's a curious historical teaching about epicycles- cycles on top of cycles that described the rotation of planets. These were necessary assumptions in order to fit the current understanding that everything rotated around the Earth. Are epicycles science? How about ether? Or dark matter? I'd say that they're antiquated science, like craniometrics to prove that white people are smarter. I'd throw alchemy in the list too.
    I dont like to call such stuff science even if antiqued - it raises their status from taking a phenomenon and forcefully trying to fit it to a half mystical theory to a branch of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    Why don't you read it again and see that I was plainly saying it was the precursor to modern science. I believed I said "chemistry of the day".

Not modern chemistry or an exact science.

It was people attempting to collect data and make sense of the world around them. Unlike today it is NOT their fault that they were ignorant as all hell and fumbling around in the dark grasping at the metaphysical and mystical.
    Also sorry for any misunderstandings on my side or you misunderstanding my post- as you may have gathered I’m ESL.
    As I said already – it’s a misunderstanding on both sides. Is it the part when we kiss and make up nao?:icon_joke

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont like to call such stuff science even if antiqued - it raises their status from taking a phenomenon and forcefully trying to fit it to a half mystical theory to a branch of knowledge.
    Fair enough.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234