Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 9:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dragon*Con: Martial Arts Mysticism & James Randi

Just a quick post about my experience with Dragon*Con this past weekend. In my 13 years of attending I had yet to attend any panels by the Skeptics track, but I felt I had to go to the "Martial Arts Mysticism" panel as an avid Bullshido reader/part time poster. Just as a primer, the Skeptics track holds panels relating to science, rational thinking, and general skepticism, and they provide a nice balance to a lot of the people who advocate psychic and paranormal phenomena in other tracks.

The panel was held by John Clements, director of ARMA, and as seen on his page http://thearma.org/Director.htm, owner of some incredible pants. His thesis was that pretty much anything amazing that Eastern Martial Arts attribute to chi/ki can be accomplished through principles found in Renaissance martial arts such as leverage, sensitivity, and attitude. He did some demonstrations showing his ease in controlling an opponent's blade, resistance to force applied by an opponent in locked blades, etc., and then went into the physics of how it all worked. He went pretty in depth into the different concepts of Renaissance martial arts and how they were all based around science, a western invention, where as the Asian arts developed around metaphysical or religious ideas. Overall, a very cool presentation.

There was a brief Q&A section with a couple of hecklers who disagreed with his stance, but they never really went anywhere. John was fairly generous towards them, just stating that in his experience the chi stuff was crap. The highlight was when James Randi, also a guest on the skeptic track, got in the Q&A line so that he could tell an anecdote:

He was in Thailand a long time ago, before he really spent any time focusing on martial arts frauds, and saw a demo by a Thai chi master. He was on one side of an opaque cloth and his students on the other. He did some arm waving and the students, who could not see their master, flew as if knocked over. Randi, being the super stud that he is, asked if he could try, and wanted to see the master do it once up close. He stood on the same side as the master while the master "warmed up". James had noticed that whenever a student was hit by the chi blast the master let out a low grunt. During the warm up Randi immitated the grunt, and low and behold the student on the other side flew across the room.

Anyway, it was good to see some martial arts show up on the skepticism track. It has really busted my balls to see Dragon*Con continue to host Sabutai Musashi (search this site), noted white boy with a Japanese name and supernatural powers, and see people continue to buy into his crap to the point where they have given him a second demo panel and follow-up interview panels. I would pay good money to see a James Randi/Adam Savage (also a Skeptics guest) dojo storm one of his demos.

That is all.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:39am

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am so mad at myself right now. I've never been to DragonCon but getting a ride there and crashing at a room would be no problem. I have like 30 friends who go to it every year and I will make sure to join if the skeptics panel is held again.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:45am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, mother fucker, I wish I had been there too. Coulda got into a knock down with the hecklers
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 2:12am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am surprised that the hero of the story happens to be ARMA. well done.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 4:13am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, me too. I realllly don't like the claims he makes on his web page.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:11am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had any doubt in my mind JC is a brilliant and knowledgable swordsman, but he does come across as abit "holier-than-thou sometimes".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:33am

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimaira View Post
    He went pretty in depth into the different concepts of Renaissance martial arts and how they were all based around science, a western invention, where as the Asian arts developed around metaphysical or religious ideas.
    LOL. The Liechtenauer's Unarmored Combat manual that the ARMA hosts on its website comes from a book that besides WMA related material contains astrological texts, alchemical recipes and magical formulas. All based around science- yeah rigth.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keyoz View Post
    LOL. The Liechtenauer's Unarmored Combat manual that the ARMA hosts on its website comes from a book that besides WMA related material contains astrological texts
    one of the roots of all science actually

alchemical recipes
    chemistry of the day
    and magical formulas
    ... usually magical formulas were alchemical in nature.
    . All based around science- yeah rigth.
    No modern science was based around their early efforts to document and understand the world ...

LOL

* edit *

oh and the pdf you linked only contains the pertinent WMA materials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:51am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys are frauds, their forged german texts from 1389 clearly lack modern scientific research!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keyoz View Post
    LOL. The Liechtenauer's Unarmored Combat manual that the ARMA hosts on its website comes from a book that besides WMA related material contains astrological texts, alchemical recipes and magical formulas. All based around science- yeah rigth.
    I should hope that empirical thought today would be different than that of hundreds of years ago.

Hey guys, Western medicine is based on the science of the four humors, which may have been lifted by Galen from an aryuvedic source. What a bunch of crap!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast