Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2900 is too much for an HK91, period. Go with the PTR91, much cheaper.
    Don't think so much in terms of the rifle---think about the 17 dollars per box of .308 that the poor bastard is going to be shelling out.

Start with an M4gery (flat-topped, AR15 variant). Cheap+ammo doesn't kill you. Plus, you can upgrade the dogshit out of it....all at under 1/3 the cost of the HK91.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 7:12pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been looking at the PTR91 as suggested on this and another forum and told him about it. I don't even know why he loves this thing so much but he's got some kinda hard-on for it. Frankly he's gone a bit Tea Party on this particular issue and just seems to want what he wants regardless. Seeing that PTR's seem to be half the cost hopefully I can talk some sense into him there.

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    I've been looking at the PTR91 as suggested on this and another forum and told him about it. I don't even know why he loves this thing so much but he's got some kinda hard-on for it. Frankly he's gone a bit Tea Party on this particular issue and just seems to want what he wants regardless. Seeing that PTR's seem to be half the cost hopefully I can talk some sense into him there.
    It's the little red and black HK logo.

Sorry, but your friend is a counterstrike nerd.

There is no cure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 10:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    It's the little red and black HK logo.

Sorry, but your friend is a counterstrike nerd.

There is no cure.
    He's definitely not a counterstrike nerd or else he'd be going for either an AK or an Arctic Warfare Magnum ;-)

Here is the link to the specific one he wants. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...ryId=SEARCH_gl

He didn't want me to post it less someone saw it and wanted to buy it themselves which now seems highly unlikely. It's a nice enough looking gun but I just don't get why he digs it so much. I told him that he is pissing away $1500 on marketing but he seriously just does not seem to care in this instance. Is there any sort of mechanical problems notorious to this thing I can use to try and turn him off? Any parts that routinely break or wear out fast or are hard to find replacements for?

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 11:44pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I told him that he is pissing away $1500 on marketing but he seriously just does not seem to care in this instance.
    Have him look at the unemployment statistics; if he still wants the rifle after that, smack him in the back of the head and write him a bill for $1500. I am not saying he shouldn't buy a gun, or anything along those lines, but pissing away money is almost criminally stupid these days.*

*I think I'm becoming a little too sensitive, mea maxima culpa.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your friend is trying to learn how to fly...by buying a damned Cessna.

Slow his ass down, listen to skeletor. Get an m4gery (I like that word, now) for 600, and get a 150 dollar drop in conversion kit. Congrats, you just bought two guns for 750 bucks. One will shoot .223, and after pulling out one pin, removing the bolt and dropping in a new bolt, will shoot .22! I've got one and it works great.

Make sure every hundred rounds or so, you bust off a .223 through it (change the bolts) so it'll....****, I dunno. .22 ammo is dirty as **** to shoot, and i've found cranking of a few .223 rounds in the course of shooting helps clear out some of the carbon, or moving it or whatthefuckever, letting me shoot more with less problems.

But seriously, don't spend 3k on a gun. Unless that gun all has sex with you, in a pleasurable way.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 4:29am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah Don't listen to these guys. I have an H&K41. there wonderful safe-queens. If your buddy wants to spend the money it's his to do so. If he wants a .308 he really should look at the rifles made by Larue. but hey he's gonna buy what he likes till he actually learns.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:14am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have him read this too, before he throws money away on an HK.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...d-we-hate-you/

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's definitely not a counterstrike nerd or else he'd be going for either an AK or an Arctic Warfare Magnum ;-)

Here is the link to the specific one he wants. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...ryId=SEARCH_gl

He didn't want me to post it less someone saw it and wanted to buy it themselves which now seems highly unlikely. It's a nice enough looking gun but I just don't get why he digs it so much. I told him that he is pissing away $1500 on marketing but he seriously just does not seem to care in this instance. Is there any sort of mechanical problems notorious to this thing I can use to try and turn him off? Any parts that routinely break or wear out fast or are hard to find replacements for?
    Too much money for that. It should be the long range version "PSG1" (heavy barrel, Olympic target grip, adjustable but stock, sweet ass scope) for 3k. You know, the model carried by Billy Zane in Sniper, which is probably the weapon you're friend is thinking this is. Unfortunately it is not. It's that guns little borther, and it's three thousand dollars. (He could buy a saiga, get the conversion, scope, and about 5k rounds of ammo for three grand...)

As for mechanical buggaboos? The "roller delayed blowback" action is fairly complicated, thus a real pain in the ass to take down clean and reassemble. Not a good thing for a first semi auto. The charging handle could "potentially" break, though that is not likely. (It's just one of the smaller, but more abused parts of the machine). Um, it's also made of stamped sheet metal, which basically means it's about as well made as an AKM, but six times as expensive.

Seriously, show him a PTR91. The only difference is that the frame was stamped in Uh-merika, instead of Portugal (yup, "Portugal"!!!). It's the exact same damn gun. And personally, I'd waaaay rather support JLD than those fascists at HK.

And read Phrosts link! It's da troof!
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 9/08/2010 1:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh sweet irony. He emailed the Cabelas store this morning asking about the gun and guess what. Someone else apparently wanted it more as it sold this a.m. So now I have much more opportunity to talk some sense into him. Thanks for the help all.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast