Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I personally don't think a brown belt is qualified to teach Judo, but I have quite high standards.
    Well, in our dojo adult senior rank (brown belt) was required to teach in the children's and adult classes. How else to they learn how to teach? Part of a senior ranks responsibility is learning how to instruct others. Like I mentioned in my original post, I am not running a school. I am teaching my own children.

  2. #12
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,625
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by user8402 View Post
    Well, in our dojo adult senior rank (brown belt) was required to teach in the children's and adult classes. How else to they learn how to teach? Part of a senior ranks responsibility is learning how to instruct others. Like I mentioned in my original post, I am not running a school. I am teaching my own children.
    I'll bet that brown belt, which in America can mean anything from a 3rd kyu to a 1st kyu, was under the supervision of a dan grade though...

    As I said in my post my personal opinion is that a brown belt, especially a 3rd kyu one, let alone a 1st kyu isn't qualified to teach Judo, but of course you're entitled to do what you like with your own children, within reason.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your arrogance is astounding.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    426
    Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used the Get Rung 1" MMA puzzle mats in Enshin, and have thrown myself pretty hard onto them without any particular issue. Of course, this was in a dance studio-ish room which may or may not have a sprung floor under the hardwood, so I can't vouch for them on a different surface. I can't comment on their durability, however, as we have not been using them long enough to form a solid opinion.

    On the plus side, they're fairly cheap, kind of portable(they're pretty damn big in person but wrangle-able if you buy a carry case), not especially sticky, and afford a decent measure of protection to herpy-derpy fat people slamming into them, though if you're looking for serious protection for serious throwing I'd suggest following the advice of everyone else and shelling out more for some tatami or thicker fancy mats.

    Remember: Safety first! Also, it's probably cheaper to shell out some fat cash for good mats then what you'd have to pay taking your children to the hospital to get them fixed up if they get broken by being thrown onto crap.

  5. #15
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,625
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by user8402 View Post
    Your arrogance is astounding.
    I stated my personal opinion that a brown belt isn't qualified to teach, which as a black belt and holder of the UK national coaching qualification for Judo level 2, which allows me to run a club and award grades up to brown belt in the UK NGB the BJA and as a holder of the Fundamental Principles of Judo 1 qualification issued by the alternative organisaton to the BJA the BJC, I feel is not an uneducated opinion.

    I also was the only one to actually provide you with the information you were requesting and provided specific information on the common mat options avaliable, which you choose not to acknowledge and, I presume, ignore.

    If you feel my opinions are not of worth to you and that I'm too arrogant to stand feel free to put me on ignore.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Deridder La USA
    Posts
    33
    Style
    Shisei Ryu Aikibudo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the surface under the mats and the intended falling....

    Id go with TIFFIN takedowns...in 2 inch....velcro all around....8 foot x 12 foot....they are good on gym floors...no bottom out.....

    For heavet ukemi I use a layer of these OVER my swain mats which also have another 1/2 inch of dollamar underlayment.... --- saftey

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went with Zebra 2" Pro Series mats at my house over carpet when i made my throwroom. I just saw over at Zebra they have a deal on 1" 1m x2m mats for 60$ if you dont mind yellow...http://www.zebramats.com/catalog/ite...oryId/1/id/32/
    ..

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

    I'm searching for judo mats for kids. My older son 6 years old and around 23Kg (46 pounds I assume) is doing judo and likes to wrestle a lot especially with his brother who is 2 years and 5 months and about 14Kg (I assume 28 pounds).

    My older son likes judo, but I have a feeling he might give it up easily. He's been asking for some other sport for some time, thus I would not want to make a huge investment. However since it is linked with their health and since I would like to avoid injuries I would not like to save on the mat and pay the hospital.
    I'm thinking of a surface of around 2m2 (about 6,5 square feet) and a budget of about 100$.

    My first question would be whether I should still go for zebra mats, and if yes, where can I find them in Europe. I can't seem to find them... even though I have read somewhere that they are made in Germany. on zebraathletics.com I can't even add the zebra pro series mat to my cart... ( I assume some issue with their site).
    zebraathletics dot com/product/zebra-pro-series-mma-mats/ (sorry apparently I can't post links yet)

    Thank you in advance for your advises (thanks to this forum I have subscribed my son to judo, and I'm very happy that I did so).

  9. #19
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    10,309
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyy View Post
    Hi,

    I'm searching for judo mats for kids. My older son 6 years old and around 23Kg (46 pounds I assume) is doing judo and likes to wrestle a lot especially with his brother who is 2 years and 5 months and about 14Kg (I assume 28 pounds).

    My older son likes judo, but I have a feeling he might give it up easily. He's been asking for some other sport for some time, thus I would not want to make a huge investment. However since it is linked with their health and since I would like to avoid injuries I would not like to save on the mat and pay the hospital.
    I'm thinking of a surface of around 2m2 (about 6,5 square feet) and a budget of about 100$.

    My first question would be whether I should still go for zebra mats, and if yes, where can I find them in Europe. I can't seem to find them... even though I have read somewhere that they are made in Germany. on zebraathletics.com I can't even add the zebra pro series mat to my cart... ( I assume some issue with their site).
    zebraathletics dot com/product/zebra-pro-series-mma-mats/ (sorry apparently I can't post links yet)

    Thank you in advance for your advises (thanks to this forum I have subscribed my son to judo, and I'm very happy that I did so).
    Mats aside, if you are not a judo instructor, they probably should not be doing judo at home. If they can go 3 times a week that should be sufficient for a 6 year old boy.

    Moreover, doing a variety of sports is critical for his overall development. I'm a judo teacher, and I do not restrict my boys (who do Judo) to Judo, nor do I discourage my students from doing other sports.


    2m x 2m is a bit of a small area, not much margin for error in being thrown or falling.

    There are quality tatami made in Europe and available other than Zebra. You might want to contact Zebra directly, I'm sure they have email or phone number on their website.

    For example,

    http://www.dax-sports.com/en/products/mats/
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Mats aside, if you are not a judo instructor, they probably should not be doing judo at home. If they can go 3 times a week that should be sufficient for a 6 year old boy.

    Moreover, doing a variety of sports is critical for his overall development. I'm a judo teacher, and I do not restrict my boys (who do Judo) to Judo, nor do I discourage my students from doing other sports.


    2m x 2m is a bit of a small area, not much margin for error in being thrown or falling.

    There are quality tatami made in Europe and available other than Zebra. You might want to contact Zebra directly, I'm sure they have email or phone number on their website.

    For example,
    Actually my boys are just wrestling since the younger one does not know any judo, and I'm not planning to teach them any Judo as I'm not a judo instructor. So I need some mat to allow them to play wrestling on a mat and not on the floor.
    I was thinking of buying a judo like mat thinking of the future, and because I'm not so sure about these amazon type of mats the puzzle type , I found 4cm (2'') thick ones MMA of EVA.
    The more professional ones that you sent me the link most probably will be very expensive and cumbersome to order (they do not have a price / unit, you need to request a quotation...)

    So maybe trying to rephrase my question: which type of mat shall I use for my kids (2 and 5 months and 6) for playing wrestling at home?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO