Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I personally don't think a brown belt is qualified to teach Judo, but I have quite high standards.
    Well, in our dojo adult senior rank (brown belt) was required to teach in the children's and adult classes. How else to they learn how to teach? Part of a senior ranks responsibility is learning how to instruct others. Like I mentioned in my original post, I am not running a school. I am teaching my own children.

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 5:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by user8402 View Post
    Well, in our dojo adult senior rank (brown belt) was required to teach in the children's and adult classes. How else to they learn how to teach? Part of a senior ranks responsibility is learning how to instruct others. Like I mentioned in my original post, I am not running a school. I am teaching my own children.
    I'll bet that brown belt, which in America can mean anything from a 3rd kyu to a 1st kyu, was under the supervision of a dan grade though...

As I said in my post my personal opinion is that a brown belt, especially a 3rd kyu one, let alone a 1st kyu isn't qualified to teach Judo, but of course you're entitled to do what you like with your own children, within reason.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your arrogance is astounding.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 12:22am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used the Get Rung 1" MMA puzzle mats in Enshin, and have thrown myself pretty hard onto them without any particular issue. Of course, this was in a dance studio-ish room which may or may not have a sprung floor under the hardwood, so I can't vouch for them on a different surface. I can't comment on their durability, however, as we have not been using them long enough to form a solid opinion.

On the plus side, they're fairly cheap, kind of portable(they're pretty damn big in person but wrangle-able if you buy a carry case), not especially sticky, and afford a decent measure of protection to herpy-derpy fat people slamming into them, though if you're looking for serious protection for serious throwing I'd suggest following the advice of everyone else and shelling out more for some tatami or thicker fancy mats.

Remember: Safety first! Also, it's probably cheaper to shell out some fat cash for good mats then what you'd have to pay taking your children to the hospital to get them fixed up if they get broken by being thrown onto crap.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by user8402 View Post
    Your arrogance is astounding.
    I stated my personal opinion that a brown belt isn't qualified to teach, which as a black belt and holder of the UK national coaching qualification for Judo level 2, which allows me to run a club and award grades up to brown belt in the UK NGB the BJA and as a holder of the Fundamental Principles of Judo 1 qualification issued by the alternative organisaton to the BJA the BJC, I feel is not an uneducated opinion.

I also was the only one to actually provide you with the information you were requesting and provided specific information on the common mat options avaliable, which you choose not to acknowledge and, I presume, ignore.

If you feel my opinions are not of worth to you and that I'm too arrogant to stand feel free to put me on ignore.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 10:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shisei Ryu Aikibudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the surface under the mats and the intended falling....

Id go with TIFFIN takedowns...in 2 inch....velcro all around....8 foot x 12 foot....they are good on gym floors...no bottom out.....

For heavet ukemi I use a layer of these OVER my swain mats which also have another 1/2 inch of dollamar underlayment.... --- saftey

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 1:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went with Zebra 2" Pro Series mats at my house over carpet when i made my throwroom. I just saw over at Zebra they have a deal on 1" 1m x2m mats for 60$ if you dont mind yellow...http://www.zebramats.com/catalog/ite...oryId/1/id/32/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12