Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting mats to stay in place

Hello All,

Does anyone have any idea how to keep rectangular mats together without gaps forming in the middle without using tape/glue?

My children and I have recently started training at a local high school where they have been kind enough to let us use their wrestling room after hours. We recently moved to the area and there are no Judo schools within 2 hours. The school has about 20 3'x5' mats that we are able to use but we are running into a problem with the mats separating from each other quickly and forming gaps.

Since the training room does not belong to us I cannot use glue, velcro, or adhesive to hold the mats to the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might hold the mats together for practice throws and randori? I may have to end up buying my own mats that would "lock" together, but I would really like to avoid the expense. Plus I am not sure if the school would let us store them onsite.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 10:51am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are your mats or the schools? If its the school's i'm surprised they have 3x5's for wrestling...seems odd they don't have roll out mats. If they are you mats you could tape them together at the seems. One of our annual seminars is quite large and we conduct it at a very large, wooden-floored conference center. Mats come from two or three area dojo and we tape together the seems to help keep them from separating. Depending on the mats they may or may not leave residue. The mats we use for that seminar are secondary mats that aren't normally used in the dojo daily class...we only use them for large seminars...I think some of them might have residue left over where the tape goes...so there's that to consider.

Other than that, you can try to figure out a way to make spacers from the nearest wall to where the mats are to help hold them in place.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 1:49pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You say you can’t use glue or velcro because it’s not your facility, but maybe they’d let you do it so long as you (1) modify nothing but the mats and (2) don’t modify the mats in any way that prevents them from being used as they are already used by others?

Some mats lock together by means of velcro—a flap will stick out from one side of the mat to adhere to the bottom of the next mat. Maybe a cheap version of this would be to make your own such ‘locks’—glue strips to the bottom of one edge of the mat and add the ‘flaps’ with the other velcro side to the other edge.

Of course this does involve modifying the equipment a bit, but (1) not in a way that will harm them, (2) in a way that could help them, and (3) at your expense, so you might be able to persuade them…

[ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 1:57pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use non slip matting, the kind you can buy to use around the home, then we just throw a few squares under each mat when they go out, they still shift around a bit, but a lot less than without.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the great suggestions. The slip matting may be my best bet as I dont have to alter any of their equipment. Any suggestions on what the non-slip matting is called? Any chance you might have a link to some so I can get a better idea of what material you are referring to?

@daishi These are the schools mats and the ones they use when wrestling season is out (which it currently is). I would love to use the rolled out mat but I don't think they wold allow me to use it and even if they did I dont think my children and I could roll it back up by ourselves. My children are 9, 8, 7, and 6. I am only going by memory thinking back to my high school wrestling days. I seem to remember it taking the whole team to role those up :)

I may end up having to buy my own interlocking mats, but I am not even sure where to start looking.

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty generic, looks like this:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 2:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a bunch Yoj! I think that might do the trick. I will stop off at the hardware store and see if I can pick some up. You say you use one square per mat?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 2:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by user8402 View Post
    Any suggestions on what the non-slip matting is called? Any chance you might have a link to some so I can get a better idea of what material you are referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    It's pretty generic, looks like this:

You can buy this stuff at Target or Wal-Mart. It's typically used to line drawers or cabinets. A better idea might be to go to Home Depot, Lowes or an automotive supply store as they sell bigger rolls of it.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 2:25pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    You can buy this stuff at Target or Wal-Mart. It's typically used to line drawers or cabinets. A better idea might be to go to Home Depot, Lowes or an automotive supply store as they sell bigger rolls of it.
    Bigger patches of it are also often used to keep area and throw rugs from slipping around on hardwood floors, and such. Ergo, any store that sells rugs will be a good candidate to also sell this stuff.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by user8402 View Post
    Thanks a bunch Yoj! I think that might do the trick. I will stop off at the hardware store and see if I can pick some up. You say you use one square per mat?

We just cut a roll up into foot squares, then put them down over the area to be matted, then lay the mats, I guess it actually ends up a couple per mat, or underlapping the mats. As I said they still move a bit, but they are on a polished wooden floor, and to be honest it's no worse than velcro mats after the velcro has worn from being pulled apart. All the guys just get in the habit of kicking them back together when they come loose, but it's better than it was, they don't slide away so much.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast