Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 3:49am

Style: Kickboxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When to use the teep kick

Hi guys,

I've been mulling this one over for a while.

I really want to get good at using the teep kick but I'm not terribly tall (5,5') and really struggling to set it up against taller people when sparring. So I was woundering if any of you had any good methods for using it that I could try?

Cheers,

SnickersUK

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 6:05am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something that first started making teeps work for me (as a tall guy) was instead of trying to time people and get teeps off as they come in, adding teeps to the end of the combination.

So your basics might look like this.
    Jab, close range, lead hook, rear leg kick, front teep to disrupt their combination,
    follow them back to keep the pressure on and cut off ring, next combination.

Or maybe you are just better off focusing on techniques that suit a shorter guy better, i'm too used to having the reach advantage to know your plight.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 9:17am

Style: Kickboxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your reply.

I think that's my problem I am trying to time it when they come in as well. That sounds like a sweet combo, I'll give it a try.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 1:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teeps are weird because you have to be REALLY good at judging distance and timing to use them effectively. To start you may want to try a less committed version to learn your range. Instead of teeping hard and missing opening yourself to counters start throwing front kicks just to get your range down. After a couple weeks when you have a handle on your range you will be able to put some power on them and start backing people up.

Like anything it just takes practice. Make sure your throw a couple in every sparring match up. It won't be magic but your teeps will start working.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to get good with the lead leg teep. For the longest time that was the only teep I could ever land because the rear leg version is so much slower. To guarantee proper distance on the teep, get close enough to where you can reach out and put your lead hang on your opponents guard and kick from there, rather than trying to time someone advancing on you. Until you're confident in your teep's ability to stop your opponent, trying to counter someone charging in on you with it will typically cause you to fumble it, miss the proper targeting or not commit properly and get knocked over.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 3:16pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For speed and timing, practice on a heavy bag that swings a lot. Kick to push it away, let it swing back and away again, then kick again when it returns. Practice this way a lot, with both legs. After a while you'll be able to eliminate the middle swing and just teep, teep, teep...

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sticking people with front (and side) kick as they come is a personal favorite. To get the basic timing down, I spent an awful lot of time swinging the heavy bag and stopping it as it came in. I'd say start there.

For front push kick, I'd also say get into the habit of lifting the knee higher than you think you need it. If you do the bare minimum your timing has to be perfect, but if you lift your knee a bit higher it gives you more room for error. You can force the kick to completion even if your timing is a bit off and they wind up closer than you'd like. It won't be as pretty, but they'll be shoved back all the same.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 4:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick tip: make sure you do NOT slide your rear foot forward if you are throwing a defensive teep (they are closing distance to you and you are reacting). It will slow you down, you'll be too late, your distance with be off, and you'll eat a horrible kick to your rear leg.

Plant your rear foot, pick up your lead leg, throw the teep, and move offline. Timing comes with reps.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 2:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm about the same height as OP and tbh I am **** at backing guys up with the teep but if you have the flexibility, teeping a guy in the face can make for a hilarious flash knockdown
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really not to troll,
    but "teep" is simply the Thai word for kick. That's what I get for spending a year and half of my life studying a language I've rarely used
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast