I managed to find Faction while searching through google for a good Muay Thai gym to train. I was happy because the gym itself is within 5 mins. biking distance from my house. I ended up starting off with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because the classes fit better to my schedule though now I have enough to do both Muay Thai and BJJ. I would highly suggest Faction for anyone in the North County San Diego area as it is the best instruction available that has been tested through numerous local and regional competitions and is better for your money compared to any of the local Gracie Barras.
Nick Stefan is the main instructor and teaches almost every class himself. He is started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from Rickson Gracie after having the distinct luck of living next to him in LA. After Rickson moved his gym across town he started training under Rigan Machado where he received his black belt. He's won numerous awards including:
PAN AMERICAN SILVER 2010
PAN AMERICAN CHAMPION 2006
NOGI WORLD CHAMPION 2009
ABU DAHBI US TRIALS BRONZE 2006
US OPEN CHAMPION 2005
MULTIPLE BEST OF THE WEST CHAMPION
MULTIPLE GRAPPLERS QUEST ADVANCED CHAMPION
GRAPPLERS QUEST BLACK BELT DIVISION GOLD/SILVER
COPA PACIFICA CHAMPION
2-1 MMA RECORD
2 X AMERICAN NATIONALS BRONZE, all of which hang in the lobby area.
The Jiu Jitsu classes break down like this: they're 2 hours long the first 20 mins being stretching and warmup (hip escape drills, partner carrys, monkey walk, et al.) This is sometimes followed by either specific drills involving either submissions (such as drilling armbar for the guard) or escapes and sweeps (breaking opponent's guard, scissor sweep ect.). Afterward Nick the instructor will show us a new technique several times, reiterate the finer points of it, walk around as we drill it against non-resisting opponents then have us drill it with full resistance. The whole process takes around 40-60 mins depending on what the techniques is. The rest of the hour that we have left over is dedicated entirely to live sparring. You either pick your own opponent or are assigned by someone Nick thinks would be good for you to spar with. The sparring is at full force and essential anything goes (although the majority of students frown upon neck cranks and kneebars for beginners)
The Muay Thai classes are taught by Andy Scott and Billy Schiebe both of whom have multiple pro fights between them. The Muay Thai classes start of with about 15 mins of shadowboxing followed by heavy bag work and kettle bell if you wish. Afterwards his goes over techniques and tricks then splits up the class for sparring based on skill level. You start with hands only, then legs only, then legs and hands, then everything goes. This is usually followed by more bag work or instruction then a last exercise (such as 100 situps) then you can leave, that is if you don't want to hard spar with anyone who is left (Muay Thai closes up shop)
The school also offers submission wrestling which I have taken only once so I can't review though the instructor has won several local competitions and I learned solid single and double leg techniques. I've been to much of a wuss to visit the MMA class so again I can't comment.
All in all this is one of the best schools you can possibly find in North County and all of the San Diego area, the vibe is really chill and all the techniques and training are legit and tested. Hit me up if you have any other questions regarding the gym and our youtube page can be found here:http://www.youtube.com/user/Faction0917 For more juicy goodness