Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 3:07pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is the difference between the different Ryu s of Shorin Ryu

I apologize if this was covered I tried researching it ,

it is strictly the Katas does one fight more then the other are they similiar is one better then another .

I am Shotokan stylist for the most part , Im curious about Shorin Ryu any opinions if its worth exploring

Any imput would help thanks.

I know alot of you will say do kyokushin or an offshoot first I dont have any near me I live in LI and I currently do WKF type competitions so Im not really looking for another Competition style or school Im looking for a more traditional Okinawan art

Thanks Again
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 3:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The amount of fighting done in the dojo is more a reflection on the teacher rather than the system. Katas do change a little from system to system even withing the same Ryu. Kobayashi and Matsubayashi have different katas and different ways of doing the same kata. This all has to do with the forking of the lineage and the input from previous generations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 4:19pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    The amount of fighting done in the dojo is more a reflection on the teacher rather than the system. Katas do change a little from system to system even withing the same Ryu. Kobayashi and Matsubayashi have different katas and different ways of doing the same kata. This all has to do with the forking of the lineage and the input from previous generations.
    This. It would also be worthy to mention that there is no such thing as a "ryu within a ryu".

When a difference becomes so big that there are "styles within styles" - this is expressed with the term -ha (variation). Such examples exist in Itto-ryu (single sword schools of Kenjutsu. For example: Kogen Itto-ryu Kenjutsu focuses on single sword applications, just like Ono-ha Itto-ryu, but Kogen focuses on economy of movement, while Itto-ryu has an agressive dueling attitude, and focuses on creating as many possibilities for creating as many openings in an opponent's guard from a single attack.

This type of "variation" (-ha or something similar) is what is commonly accepted and closest to what you're looking for concerning the JMA and it's community, both koryu and budo, both in Japan and elsewhere.

As for Kobayashi and Matsubayashi, Shogun has pretty much covered everything about those two.

Is Shorin-ryu worth exploring as a karateka? Sure is. You can learn lots more about karate and it's history by doing other styles. Just be careful not to let Shotokan habits interfere with your Shorin ryu practice and vice versa.

Enjoy,
    Marko