Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 10:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Thank you, It is Fake. I am hoping that Mr. Cummins will join us, to everyone's benefit.
    You should read those threads before thanking me.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/06/2010 11:02am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 10:46am

Style: Nihon Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Ah, I see. Well, after the first page of the first link, I know enough

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Monestah, there are HUGE debates on translation vs. Original language. Saying it is common is glossing over the problem.
    Ehm, I would never ever say something like that. Those were mrtnira's words.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:02am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    Ah, I see. Well, after the first page of the first link, I know enough
    Oh it gets worse. He calls two people, one that used to post here, keyboard warriors for asking questions.

Ehm, I would never ever say something like that. Those were mrtnira's words.
    I didn't say you did. You said you were paranoid. I'm agreeing with you by saying there are huge debates over translations. It isn't you being paranoid it is being smart.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah I see, well thanks!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:18am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As this isn't MABS I am out but, if he appears hopefully he will answer questions.

This is how I regard translation:
    Martial Arts Planet - View Single Post - Shinobi Soldiers
    Boiled down, the answer seems to be yes.

One rule of translating is that the work is done by a person who is able to read the original text. That seems so obvious, yet Anthony seems content to list himself as a translator even though he can't read the language.

It is ok to have a native speaker of the language tell you things you may not know. If there is an expression you have not run across a native speaker can tell you what it means in that language. So if you are translating a Japanese text, you can talk to Japanese in Japanese about a phrase or something and then take it into English based on your understanding of the text.

Yes, you can get your Japanese girlfriend to tell you how to use the heater after she reads the directions. That is not translation. You go to any professional translating organization and they will tell you that it is not acceptable to put out something based on what others tell you it means.

You have to take the new knowledge and put it in context of the entire text. You have to be able to actually read the text and be able to take everything in at once. You can learn new phrases, etc while translating but the final version must be based on what you understand of the text. If you can't read the text yourself even after this, you have no right to call yourself the translator.

Furthermore, I have noticed that in the process of learning the language while in Japan the gaijin I know all pick up the important little facts that make the difference in looking at an historical text. The other way is like a grade school report done by someone who just wants to get through the project with as little work as possible. I have seen to many works like that passed off in the West. This looks to be the same type of thing.

--snip---

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way Mr. Cummins 'enthusiastically' shares his newfound knowledge about Katori ninjutsu and all that being great news never heard before, makes me laugh. That guy is full of fail. Let this thread sink to the bottom of the Abyss.

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 7:18pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't going to end well, is it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 8:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All you need to know.

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 4:58pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he may be "stupid," but he does demonstrate a greater command of Latin ("non compos mentis") than most American high school graduates.

Antony Cummins only recently came on to my radar screen while I was browsing Amazon.com. I ran across the listings for his books. I was intrigued -- and dare I admit, somewhat hopeful -- when I saw them. The English speaking world could use a decent book on Hattori Hanzo (emphasis on decent), which is one of his upcoming offerings.

I was looking forward to reading one, but this thread (and the links to MAP) have soured me on Mr. Cummins. I'll have to keep an eye on the local Borders shelves to review one of his books. I doubt I'll risk the Amazon order now...

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 5:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    The English speaking world could use a decent book on Hattori Hanzo (emphasis on decent), which is one of his upcoming offerings.
    Yes, this would be awesome.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast