Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Resting Between Reps?

Just curious, how long do some of you lifters pause between reps on average? Is it advisable to take no more than 20 or so seconds between reps?How about resting between sets (different exercises)?
    I usually don't worry much about it, but I am just wondering what some of the guys like Emevas and other hard core lifters think about this sort of thing.
    Also, do you recommend doing short sets with max weight or longer sets with weight you can manage more easily and gradually moving up? Does it depend on your training goals?
    Just wondering what the word is on such things..
    Thanks in advance..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training goals determine everything. You can rest long periods of time on a strength training routine, but on a bodybuilding style hypertrophy routine, things get more complicated.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 7:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Difference or thread please.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 7:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Difference or thread please.
    I don't quite know what this means.

OZZ: What program are you following?
    "Emevas,

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post

I don't know what that means either..

Emevas - I am basically just following a maintenance program . I am in decent shape but wouldn't mind getting some more definition in the shoulder and chest area. I usually get to the gym three times a week, or two if I am slacking. I do a warm up of either rowing machine or heavy bag work to get a sweat going,then weights and usually finish off with a swim.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 1:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The difference between strength building and hydro bodybuilding. I know you have discussed it somewhere so, if you want to give me a thread or quick explanation either would help.

My thread search in this forum sucks.

Thanks.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    I don't know what that means either..

Emevas - I am basically just following a maintenance program . I am in decent shape but wouldn't mind getting some more definition in the shoulder and chest area. I usually get to the gym three times a week, or two if I am slacking. I do a warm up of either rowing machine or heavy bag work to get a sweat going,then weights and usually finish off with a swim.
    What program are you following though? Stronglifts? Starting Strength? Madcow 5x5? DoggCrapp? Westside? etc.

Fake: In terms of rest times, for strength training the goal is perfect practice for each rep, so you rest as long as you need to do the set. For bodybuilding, fatigue is more valuable, so rest times are short (around a minute or so) so that you can exhaust the muscle. That's the very basics.
    "Emevas,

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 5:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, none specifically, but I guess the closest thing to what I do would be the Madcow 5x5 ..I mean, I usually start off doing as many reps as I can before tiring out then try to squeeze out at least three more sets of 8-10 reps.
    I grew up on the old 3 sets of 8 mentality, so its hard fopr me not to fall back into that habit. But I usually end up doing between 3-5 sets . One warmup weight and the rest max weight..

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 5:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say the first thing is to get on a program, and follow the guidelines of that program. If your goal is strength training, knock off the sets of 8 and do Madcow 5x5 as is. Rest as long as you need to recover (most likely around 2-5 minutes), and you'll get strong.
    "Emevas,

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 5:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say the first thing is to get on a program, and follow the guidelines of that program. If your goal is strength training, knock off the sets of 8 and do Madcow 5x5 as is. Rest as long as you need to recover (most likely around 2-5 minutes), and you'll get strong.
    I read the outline for Madcow 5x5 and it seems closest to what I am doing right now..so I think I wil take your advice and follow it more to the letter.

I was just wondering about the time between sets because of something I heard some guys gabbing about...
    Thanx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast