Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 7:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, Jay: it’s not a case of “picking on the elderly.”

Mr Alexander and Mr Pearson seem to be running a black-belt mill, and to be very cagey and secretive about their credentials. Mr Alexander’s performances on Youtube are not (in the opinion of those who know what they’re talking about) consistent with his claims of ‘mastery’. People who are concerned about the integrity of the martial arts have a perfect right to draw attention to these facts. Mr Alexander and Mr Pearson have a perfect right to speak up in their own defence. It has nothing at all to do with age.

I’ll ask it again: Who gave him his ninth dan? If you know him (or, as I suspect, are him or his spokesman), you will know the answer to this. Tell us, then? Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 8:23am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
    Dear people of Bullshido,

I was browsing the web and came across these posts.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents for what they are worth.
    Welcome to Bullshido, My name is Dave Humm, I am a long term student of Muso Shinden Ryu Iai and Kendo. I have studied Japanese martial traditions (including Aikikai and Iwama Ryu aikido) for 22 years (continuously) until last year when I deployed to Iraq. I have completed what is known in Japan as kenshusei which is a formal martial arts teaching apprenticeship, and hold fukushidoin status (assistant national instructor) I hold a United Kingdom National Governing Body (Sport England) instructor qualification. If you wish to see verification of my documentation, please don't hesitate to ask.

I thank you for taking the time to post your comments and, with respect, I'd like some further clarification on a few specific points, therefore, I would appreciate if you'd be equally specific in your responses or, simply acknowledge if you're unable to comment. I've highlighted my questions for ease of reading.

Thank you.

He was graded, many years ago, in traditional (Okinawan-routed) karate, in Japan. I know this because he entrusted me with his rather battered grading certificate. Desperately sadly (no lie), I lost it (along with a lot of my luggage) when I relocated from the United Kingdom to the Far East.

I swear to Christ though, it existed! Moreover, he still has in his possession the hand signed scroll, signed by a load of old Japanese dudes, granting him his licence to instruct.
    I am sorry to learn of the issue with regards to his certificate however, the issue here isn't specifically what he's been PREVIOUSLY graded in, but more to do with his 9th dan.

Would you kindly confirm - for the record, where this 9th dan grade originated and what it SPECIFICALLY relates too.
    At one point, Sensei Alexander oversaw 70-odd Zen Shin schools throughout the UK, as well as overseas. In 1984 he franchised the schools and moved to the middle of nowhere to live in peace.
    No disrespect intended but that's irrelevant.
    Many years later, he started teaching again, having come to the realisation that pieces of paper can say whatever they want, because in the end, belts mean sh*t.
    Really, I don't quite agree with you but I understand the sentiment however, if formal recognition isn't that important to the man, why has he allowed himself to be described as..//.. "the highest graded outside of Japan" ?

How many years is "many years later" ?
    The art is what matters.
    Which art?
    He founded his own style, based on the core-values of traditional Okinawan martial arts. Arts he is, somewhat ironically, graded in.
    Kenjutsu, and Kyudo are not indigenous systems to the Ryukyu Islands, they weren't part of mainland Japan for many years so I don't quite understand your statement.
    His skill, martial spirit, knowledge and physical power even at seventy is still highly impressive.
    Impressive to whom? I'll be honest and state openly that the kenjustu I've seen of Mr. Alexander's is bloody awful from a technical point of view. It lacks almost every foundation skill seen in shoden iai kihon, never mind more advanced kata found within chuden or okuden waza, this indicates to me that Mr. Alexander hasn't studied Iai or Kenjutsu to any substance, and this isn't me speaking without experience.
    He was recognised as a 5th dan in Goju-Ryu by the English Karate Governing Body.
    Please advise me of the EXACT name of the organisation and I'll follow that up. Over the last decade or so English Karate has had a number of NGB's as well as a fair amount of turmoil with name changes etc.
    Sensei Alexander’s Sensei, O’Sensei Okimitsu Fuji, the man who founded the BKA and a widely accepted overlord of Muso Jikiden Ryu Iaido instructed Sensei Alexander in kenjutsu.
    Please advise me who informed you that Fuji Okimitsu was the "overlord" of MJER. Have you ever heard of Oe Sensei ?

I ask because Oe Sensei was the 17th Headmaster (and the person who formalised the teachings of what is known as MJER) He was also incidentally the 15th headmaster of the Shimomura-ha. What's interesting is that if you read this document which is a true representation of MJER lineage, Okimitsu Fuji's name is absent. and I find that a bit odd if he was supposedly the "overlord" of the Ryu.

I'm not suggesting that he isn't a teacher of Iai and Kendo because I know he is but, the evidence doesn't support what you suggest. Perhaps you should research who Iwata Norikazu is.
    O’Sensei Okimitsu Fuji was later asked to leave the BKA because his teaching methods were not fluffy and pain-free enough for those in the UK.
    "BKA" British Kendo Association or something else ?

I also find your statement anecdotal please elaborate Thank you.
    Much the same way that Kendo itself came to exist.
    Your statement doesn't make sense, the word KENDO is a pretty generic term which was used long before the Meiji Restoration. Kendo armour (bogu) and the practice of sword training were being developed in one form or another for quite a period of time. Please elaborate on what you're referring too
    Sensei Alexander will train you in a weekend and give you whatever belt colour you desire, he will then point out that you know next to nothing and it would be strongly advisable to study hard for the rest of your life before you walk around saying that you know sh*t and can teach people, but that the choice is ultimately yours, should you want to risk it.

I think this is fair.
    I think that's stupid personally.

I train daily, four hours a day, out here in SE Asia with a highly accomplished, widely accepted instructor; accomplished to the point that he trains soldiers in advanced-CQC, fighters in traditional arts and a hoard of other horrible skills to a hoard of other people.
    Ok I'm not here to call you a liar. I'm an experienced infantry soldier, I've served my country in both foreign and domestic operations so I know exactly what it's like to be in a war zone, I know exactly what a soldier needs to know to operate in a hostile environment, H2H skills are not a top priority, even for special forces types. We have far more effective weapons to kill the enemy with, so, what's your point, you're suggesting that because this instructor teaches "advanced CQC" that his opinion of your skills was worth something, correct ? Actually with respect it isn't because it's anecdotal unless you want to provide that person's name and a means of reaching him so I can verify what you're saying.

Remember at the beginning of this thread I extended an offer for you to verify my qualifications, thus experience ? This is to ensure that you have the opportunity to fully understand that I'm not using anecdotal statements as supporting evidence.

Finally, I would like to know what length of time and to what formal grade Mr. Alexander has in both Iai or Kenjutsu and Kyudo?

Who was Mr. Alexander's Kyudo teacher?

What art(s) did Mr. Alexander study under Abbe Kenshiro and to what grade(s)

Thank you for taking the time to read my reply and I look forward to reading yours.

Dave
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 9/06/2010 8:48am at . Reason: Addition of a question
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 9:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something else I found, that may be or may not be semi-relevant...

From the website of Jez Hanton, another of JA's students...
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/zenshindo/
    Quote Originally Posted by that site
    Alexander SENSEI ( click here to see photo )devised his all new style of Japanese sword, ZEN SHIN DO KENJUTSU, during a life time of martial arts study. His style is rooted in traditional KENJUTSU, with an ICHI GO ICHI E flavour, incorporated with a smooth and more natural flow of timing. The kata based style lend its self well to the hard/soft rhythms of traditional styles of KARATE making it an ideal form for all ages to start and learn.
    Alexander sensei was taught a range of martial arts by many famous oriental martial instructors including Mr. Okimitsu Fujii an ex-Japanese patron. Once Mr. Fujii ( click here to see photo ) had arrived in the United Kingdom he set up the British Kendo Association. Mr. Fujii was taught a wide range of martial arts in the Japanese streets he lived in by Kensai SENSEI.
    The ZEN SHIN DO BUDO KAI now incorporates many of Alexander SENSEI interpretations of martial arts such as KYUDO, SAI-DO, KOBUDO, KARATE-DO and KENJUTSU.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 9:24am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed.

Until information/evidence is put forward, I seriously doubt that Mr. Alexander had "mastery" of any orthodox or mainline discipline which would warrant him justifiably able to create a new martial system based on what is reported.

I look forward to being proved wrong however.

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 10:08am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kendo was first demonstrated in England in the 30s. The BKA was set up by Roald Knutsen around 1962, you can see the history here. Fuji-sensei was yondan and with the Nenriki dojo in the late 60s. He was the coach of the first British team sent to worlds. Fuji was definitely one of the technical leaders at that time but saying he founded the BKA solo is a big stretch. He and Knutsen split from the BKA and formed the British Kendo Renmei and associated Kenseikai dojo, which are a definite minority in the UK. FIK only recognises one association per country typically, and for England that's the BKA not BKR.
    Last edited by NeilG; 9/06/2010 10:24am at .

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the largest indicator of what is true or false in this instance, was the sudden change of the website content. Why suddenly change it rather than back up the claims posted? That looked like a pretty dramatic cut in claims, a lot of content was removed.

Good thing we have screen shots of original content. Thumbs up, Larus Marinus.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:20am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to sources, Mr. Alexander studied Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu his teacher being Fuiji Sensei.

Here is a video of MJER Iai, apparently the basis for Mr. Alexander's own sword style.

YouTube- 第32回 水鷗流古伝武道大会 無双直伝英信 居合演武

Now, compare the above with a video of Mr. Alexander himself performing with a Japanese sword.

YouTube- martial Arts Memories Part 2

...The two do not compare at all in any resemblance.

Rocket science this isn't.

~Ella Wheeler

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 11:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sensei Alexander will train you in a weekend and give you whatever belt colour you desire, he will then point out that you know next to nothing and it would be strongly advisable to study hard for the rest of your life before you walk around saying that you know sh*t and can teach people, but that the choice is ultimately yours, should you want to risk it.
    I think this is fair.
    Wait. So, legitimizing fraud is okay because, he said think first and do the right thing? Yes, i wonder how broke states would be if they used this logic regarding driver licenses, business licenses, and Education.

School: Hey, you flunked this courses but, I'm going to give you a degree because you attended classes. You know you better do the right thing.

DL: Hey, you failed the driving test but here is your license do the right thing.

BL: You want to open a Drive through MethLab? It is illegal but, go ahead do the right thing.

I can't take anything you wrote seriously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jay: you're taking a mighty long time to answer a simple question:

Who gave Mr Alexander a ninth dan, and when and for what?

If you don't answer this question soon, I guess we'll just have to assume that you can't or won't; and that will speak for itself, won't it.

But Mr Alexander's email address is on his website. We could just ask him, couldn't we?

I'll volunteer to do this, if nobody else wants to.
    Last edited by HenryT; 9/06/2010 1:37pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 1:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relax, he is not taking a long time to answer. He posted today and we have to see if he is a sockpuppet, legitimate student, or the man himself. If you don't understand how MABS works then lurk and don't post. Making demands is not helpful and no answer in this short amount of time is not conclusive.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast