Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 7:23pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryT View Post
    it would be more natural to call a kata “dai go” (第五) (fifth) or “go dan” (五段) (level five) than “So-and-so go.”
    Actually if you are just naming them by number it would be go-hon-me, ie #5. Or at least that's the way we do it in kendo and iaido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 4:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you can use the "-ban" suffix to form ordinals: ichiban, niban, sanban ... Japanese numbering is very complicated because so much depends on the kind of thiings you're counting. But it's not correct to use "go" to mean "fifth." Anyone who had studied for many years in Japan - or who had any knowledge at all of Japanese - would know this. Any way you look at it, "Zen Shin Ryu Kata Go" is another small sign of fakery.

I don't think we need any more evidence, do we?

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another forum statement from someone who trained with Alexander in the past. His comment is vaguely along the lines of a couple of things Jay1 said in post #16 here...

http://www.martialedge.net/forum/mar...not?%29/#17754

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe, in that thread
    Jon Alexander founded a system back in the '70's similar to GKR called Zen Shin Ryu, I trained in a breakaway group from him then. He was subsequently recognised as a 5th dan Goju by the English Karate Governing Body in the '90's. Okimitsu Fuji brought Kendo and Muso Jikiden Ryu Iaido to the UK I trained with him as a part of the British Kendo Association in the '80's, he was a registered 5th Dan then.
    (GKR is probably Go-Kan-ryu)

This is the fellow:
    http://shikon.com/instructors.html

There have been a couple of YMAS threads critiquing his writings and YouTube videos here before, I see.
    traditional ma owns mma....? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Shikon.com - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 11:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another kata designed by JA - for the bo, this time.

YouTube - Bo Kata by Sensei Bob McCormack back then 5th Dan

Any experienced staff guys around able to give us a comment and critique WRT whether the movements of the kata make sense on a technical level?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pardon me for asking, but has this thread gone dead now? Isn't anyone going to do a final summary?

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 1:22pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patience! It's always worthwhile letting them hang around a while to see what surfaces, plus of course the writers are volunteers so it's an as and when thing around normal life/jobs/etc

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

With regards to Jon Alexander's claims to have trained with Masafume Suzuki

I have recently been in contact with Chris Spencer-Hicks, UK Representative for the All Japan Budo Federation with regards to Mr. Alexander's claim of training with Masafume Suzuki (i.e. the founder of the All Japan Budo Federation, for those unaware).

Mr. Spencer-Hicks has consulted with the Hombu in Japan, at a high level and has stated that "All contacts with the AJBF Hombu have resulted in no one knowing who Jon Alexander is at all." and "Any direct transmission from Suzuki sensei would have substantiated by Mr. Alexander. As far as the AJBF is concerned there is no link." - direct quotations from email in bold italics.

(As always, full emails are available to site staff upon request.)

If Mr. Alexander has in his possession documentary evidence of his past association with Masafume Suzuki, Mr. Spencer-Hicks has stated to me that he would be happy to review it. He may be contacted via the http://ajbf.co.uk/ website - or alternatively, if Mr. Alexander or one of his associates would prefer, scan it, post it here and I will forward it on to him as a matter of urgency.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mr. Alexander's teaching of, and awarding rank in Kyudo

In addition to the above, Kyoshi Liam O'Brien, 7th dan and Chairman of the UK Kyudo Association has permitted me to state, for the record that Jon Alexander has no recognised qualifications to teach Kyudo and that Kyudo instructors are not permitted to receive payment for instruction or grading.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 11:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mr. Alexander's 5th Dan ranking in Kendo.

I contacted Emanuele Levi, grading officer at the British Kendo Association. With regards to Jon Alexander's stated rank of 5th Dan in Kendo,

Quote Originally Posted by email from Emanuele Levi
    You can certainly say that the BKA does not have a record of this individual. It the unlikely event that our records are wrong we can put them right.

I also contacted the International Kendo Federation in Japan with regards to determining if they had a record of Mr. Alexander's Kendo rank.

Quote Originally Posted by email from FIK representative
    We have no record "5th Dan of Jon Alexander".

Thank you

FIK

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 4:14am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that it's likely, but if you're inclined you could check with the British Kendo Renmei. They are a separate organization not recognized by FIK but comprised of some of the people who had a hand in the start of UK kendo.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast