--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Traditional martial arts on Long Island

I have been training in BJJ and MT but have always been curious about trying a TMA, mainly karate. I know Long Island is brimming with karate mcdojos but there have to be some legit places out there. I live in Middle Island and would rather keep the distance within 20 minutes, but if there is something really good out there I would keep an open mind. Hope someone could help!

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's an enshin dojo out on the island, which is worth checking out if for no other reason than enshin is kind of hard to find. It's a kyokushin offshoot that also has judo throws and groundwork, which makes it pretty much the most badass form of karate outside of daido juku.

http://www.enshinnewyork.com/

The website appears to be stuck in the late 90s in terms of design. I'm not sure how far it is from you, it's been a long time since I lived down there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, thats actually very close to where I live. Any idea of the rates?

Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enshin doesn't incorporate groundwork, at least not on the style-wide level. Individual dojo might, however. The Sabaki Method book does have a section on finishing a thrown opponent with a submissions, though, so maybe there'll be an increased emphasis on it in the future? I don't know.

But yeah, for as far as trying out a TMA goes, Enshin is a pretty good choice as it tends to have a traditional atmosphere but without teaching a bunch of contradictory and shitty techniques that one would never, ever use while actually fighting someone. Except for chamber punching.
    Last edited by ironcastknight; 9/11/2010 9:51pm at . Reason: Herp