Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 1:38am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Let's talk about being a beginner intermediate.

I'm not sure how isolated this is, and maybe it's just me (actually i'm pretty sure it's just me because I'm pretty sure that I bring it on myself.) but what's with beginner intermediates?

So far in judo the only people that'll grapple with me are n00bs and really advanced people. None of the brown belts want to get tapped by: 1. The "white belt guy." and 2. "The lightest guy in the room." I think people tend to forget that I walk around at 150lbs most of the time but more closely to 145. And most everyone at the dojo are at the very least 170lbs. And since my Judo is improving and I can actually put up a decent defense against the brown belts, they don't want to risk messing up and getting countered or something.

When I go play with the bjj guys around here, none of them want to start standing because none of them know how to land properly, so it's kind of lolol. Same thing here though, only really advanced people or really n00by people want to play with. None of the intermediate guys.

Is it just me or the intermediate guys just a bunch of pussies?

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 1:45am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often do you clean your gi?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ego? In MY martial arts?

But no, seriously, ego limits people in every fucking sport.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 1:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really annoys me because at this point I really need to be grappling with people my skill level so I can progress. N00bs allow me to work on transitions and whatever and advanced folk allow me to work on my defense. But I need you ****** intermediates to help me develop an offensive game.

BUT I GUESS GETTING TAPPED IN CLASS MEANS YOU LOST AND ARE A ***** THOUGH, RIGHT?

Fucking infuriating.

PS: I religiously wash my gi every time i use it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protip: Gain weight so you stop being "the lightest guy in the room"

I fucking hate grappling light people, and odds are the heavier people in your class feel the same.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 1:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Protip: Gain weight so you stop being "the lightest guy in the room"

I fucking hate grappling light people, and odds are the heavier people in your class feel the same.
    In time. In time.

Tonight during judo, one of the 220lbs white belt who muscled me into a half guard got pissed because, "I AM 220llbs WHY COME I NOT BREAK YOUR HALF GUARD!"

I most assuredly believe it's an ego thing. I mean, when he has that ridiculous of a weight advantage, all I can really do is defend until he fucks up and I find an opening. Sure it's embarrassing to have a guy almost half your size lock your ass down, but, learn how to pass a half guard.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 2:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Jubo NOOB, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    In time. In time.

Tonight during judo, one of the 220lbs white belt who muscled me into a half guard got pissed because, "I AM 220llbs WHY COME I NOT BREAK YOUR HALF GUARD!"

I most assuredly believe it's an ego thing. I mean, when he has that ridiculous of a weight advantage, all I can really do is defend until he fucks up and I find an opening. Sure it's embarrassing to have a guy almost half your size lock your ass down, but, learn how to pass a half guard.
    I'm in the odd weigh class, most of the people of a similar skill set are 15kg or more heavier than me, and the others are heaps lighter and a good five years younger on average. So I know what you mean with that, always on the defense thing with the heavier guys.
    My skills aren't great and I know it, but I do sorta wish there was someone of a similar weight and skillset that I can roll with more regularly.

Also: yeah, half guard isn't that hard to pass, surely? Should have done a sweep, I have one I like to do on heavier guys (when it works) and they're like 'wut?'.

Chaos
    ? Panic?... Disorder??

.........................My Work is done here... ;)

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 3:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunally it's normal...

6th Kyu graders are dangerous because of their noob status and their going all out spazzems in randori

5th and 4 th Kyu graders are the ones you can train seriously and good with

3rd and (new)2nd Kyu graders aren't fun to train with, again there's an ego problem against lower grades where they treat every randori as a shiai. Just because they are afraid to lose.

(experienced) 2nd and 1st Kyu graders and the Dan ranks lose luckily that chip on their shoulders and are again great training partners.

The problem is offcourse that you have a problem in your training routine to ascend to the level of 3rd Kyu rank.

The solution that I did to close that gap was getting some private lessons by a Shodan. They fight against you just at a level above you so you will become better and they aren't afraid to tap or getting thrown by a lower rank.
    See if you can befriend a Shodan for free private lessons and you can almost skip the step from doing randori with 3rd and newly 2nd Kyu graders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 3:49am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This makes me glad there are no belts in MMA. Much harder to bring your ego into it when you're not sure how good everyone is.

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 4:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't want to randori with someone the size of a middle school kid either.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast