Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/27/2004 6:18pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rear nekkid choke?

When I was first taught the RNC, it was as follows: Right arm goes around opponent's neck (with his trachea in your elbow). Place right palm on left bicep and left palm on opponent's head. Bring elbows together.

However, I was rolling with someone recently whose neck was too small for this! I brought my elbows as close together as I could and he wasn't tapping. (So I switched to a collar choke and things were cool.)

Anyway, I am now in the process of switching to a second version as follows: Right arm goes around opponent's neck and place right fist on left bicep. Left hand makes a fist and left hand/forearm goes behind opp's head.

My questions:
    -This is better, right?
    -Where relative to my opponent's head does my left arm go? The lower the better?
    -How exactly do I apply the choke? Looking at my arm position without an oppoent, when you squeeze your elbows together, does the left arm simply slide over the right arm? Or is it a little more perpendicular, so that the left forearm helps your right arm contract? Do I apply pressure to the back of the neck with my left arm?

Thanks for all your help. Please don't ask me to ask my instructor, they don't know.
    Last edited by bunyip; 2/27/2004 6:20pm at .
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    2/27/2004 8:33pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The main difference is before one hand was gripping my bicep, the other hand was gripping the back of my opponent's head. Now instead of gripping, one slides over the bicep, one slides past the head.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2004 10:35pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just started bjj, but my instructor told me not to grip with the right hand in that situation but instead to slide it as far up to my left shoulder as possible, then put left hand on back of head and squeeze chest forward and elbows together. when i did judo in college i was told to grab my left bicep with my right hand. i did that when we did the rnc in bjj for the first time and was told "no no no"

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    2/27/2004 11:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick Question: Could the RNC be combined with a half nelson? The similar hand placement on the back of the made me wonder.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 12:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be sure to push your shoulders back and breathe in once you have it locked.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 12:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by brandeissansoo
    Be sure to push your shoulders back and breathe in once you have it locked.
    Yeah my coach is always talking about getting the power from filling your lungs to tighten the choke. Instead of using your arms alone.

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 11:54am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get your own shoulder (or as high up it as possible) then put not the palm, but the back of your hand on the back of their head. I'm not sure exactly why, but it's tighter.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that works best what you guys have just discriped, can anyone explain to me why they use a completely different rear naked choke in Judo?
    Their hadaka jime just puts right arm around head and hold right hand with left and just pull back on the left arm. I don't see why they would use this, as the one you guys discriped seems better (and works well in MMA).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 3:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think if you merely just pull back you wont get the 'blood' choke effect that you get with the RNC. I was also taught tio 'puff' the chest out when doing RNC....works alot better.
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 3:41pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osu: Those area actually two completely different chokes. They're both called "hadaka jime" because that translates into something like "naked strangle" (meaning no clothing is used). The one that must people call the "rear naked choke" is a blood choke, the other one blocks the trachea, and hurts like a ************. The one more commonly seen in judo is probably more common because you can't put your hands on the person's face to pull their head back, and itt's easier to slip your forearm under someone's chin that the crook of your elbow.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast