Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 12:16pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    From the guard it makes more sense, but it seems that if you decided to chun from your back you'd fixate on that and end up fighting with your hips and back flat on the ground, and that seems problematic.
    It is not about fighting using Wing Chun it is about using some of their techniques in a good solid already existing game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 12:51pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedycerviche View Post
    @ helmutlvx. I was told it was kaike (sp?) or something similar but I have never done it only been told that it is similar to Wing Chun sticking hands and is in Goju ryu.
    I think whoever told you that was kinda confused.

Kakie is closer to push hands that it is to sticking hands. Muchimi doesn't always apply to arms.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    What about from your guard? People do strike from their back while in guard in mma (which seems to be mostly a distraction for their bjj) and the chun punches don't use hip rotation like jma/boxing.

I don't know enough to have an opinion one way or another about this, just curious what you think.
    That certainly makes more sense since you can control body position from guard.

As others have mentioned...elbows are much better...but you could certainly get lucky and catch somebody w/ a couple punches from guard. Again...I would probably use it to soften the guy up and grab an arm or something.

Ultimately I think it would be difficult to finish a fight with a punch from guard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 2:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    The OP could be on to something:

YouTube- Wing Chun Defeats MMA
    I actually think Faulkner's wing chun is pretty good. Duncan Leung (his teacher) is just about the best wing chun has to offer in this world.

Unfortunately...you can't win an MMA match only knowing one style...and it is painfully obvious that Steve wasn't prepared to go to the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 3:50pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OKAY let me make what I said more clear
    Im not talking about chainpunching
    more sticky hands type stuff
    more defensive not offensive
    im not saying on the ground you could knock someone out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 4:00pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
    Wouldn't work if they had fire resistance 50+....
    Now your living in a fantasy world

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 5:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    OKAY let me make what I said more clear
    Im not talking about chainpunching
    more sticky hands type stuff
    more defensive not offensive
    im not saying on the ground you could knock someone out.
    I've actually found my sticky hands training to be very helpful w/ bjj. Especially when trying to defend someone on my back.

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 12:49am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I actually think Faulkner's wing chun is pretty good. Duncan Leung (his teacher) is just about the best wing chun has to offer in this world.

Unfortunately...you can't win an MMA match only knowing one style...and it is painfully obvious that Steve wasn't prepared to go to the ground.
    Before I forget, if you could, would you please show us some video you think is representative of Duncan Leung's teaching/sparring? I did a little searching myself, and was pleasently surprised at some of it, but I honestly have no idea what constitutes the exception or the rule in those scenarios.

In regard to the idea of integrating something wing chun like against ground and pound, I think the idea may have been strictly from the guard or possibly half-guard and as a defensive tool. Joe Rogan may have a bunch of nutty ideas, but I honestly don't think he's suggesting chain punching from under mount.

My interpetation of the comment is that something like wing chun's chi sau wherein constant contact is part of the drilling, allows for following/sticking to the opponent's arms/wrists. Because of that, it may be good at mitigating damage because from that close position you can maintain constant contact, and therefore (with practice) become good at predicting where the strike is coming from, and how to deal with it. It's another way of hand-fighting, and another way to possibly gain some additional knowledge of your advesary's intent via physical contact.

Clearly this skillset is not exclusive to wing chun, but since most often when shown a wing chun class or something of the like, it is chi sau. From my albeit limited experience whith that sort of blocking, or the ever elusive "trapping" range of combat, it vanishes because of movement. When the distance is static, it may actually have some use.

This is of course all speculatory, but it seems like it might be worth experiementing with despite the rather dubious origins. Perhaps similar results can be reached via different avenues.

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 2:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first off: what is the worse that can happen when you try something new? I mean don't start a blood feud and give it a whirl in a life and death duel, but with your favorite training buddies? You never really know unless you try it out "Sam Sam I am I do not like Green Eggs......"

it is worth noting that Bruce Lee himself set a precedent when he unceremoniously declared that Wing Chun was so limited. He wound up with other very basic approaches to grappling and... that should tell one quite a bit. Lee did try things and no doubt he found out through trial and error the limits of the chun.

I would say from experience that static position arts are hard to use when grappling. Mostly because they do not allow much movement in ackward positions... famously one of my instructor friends asked a chunner to fight standing then said "good good" then asked the chunner to go on his knees... point made. If I am striking on the ground I want the option to pull and push the person (not trap) and to move teh body in weird ways to get some leverage on strikes.... your grip strength works well when you can pull a person into a strike, but trapping is too static, it cannot transition into a lock if someone knos what they are doing. Thats what I have found.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 6:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    Before I forget, if you could, would you please show us some video you think is representative of Duncan Leung's teaching/sparring? I did a little searching myself, and was pleasently surprised at some of it, but I honestly have no idea what constitutes the exception or the rule in those scenarios.
    I don't have any videos...but can say that from my experiences Duncan Leung lineages tend to be much more physical than other wing chun i've seen. Much more contact.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456