Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

US opposes Seoul’s bid to sell old rifles

In case you hadn't seen it:

The U.S. government opposed South Korea’s bid to sell hundreds of thousands of aging U.S. combat rifles to American gun collectors, a senior government official said Thursday.

The ministry announced the plan last September as part of efforts to boost its defense budget, saying the export of the M1 Garand and carbine rifles would start by the end of 2009.

The U.S. administration put the brakes on the plan, citing “problems” that could be caused by the importation of the rifles.

The problems the U.S. government cited were somewhat ambiguous, said an official at the Ministry of National Defense on condition of anonymity.

“The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions,” the official told The Korea Times.

“We’re still looking into the reason why the U.S. administration is objecting to the sale of the rifles and seeking ways to resolve the problems raised,” he said.

Critics say the ministry pushed to sell the firearms in a hasty manner without enough consultation with the U.S. beforehand, as calls were growing to increase defense expenditure.

The Seoul government sought to sell the outdated U.S guns back to the United States.

A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines were to be sold, as the weapons have been mothballed for about five decades in military warehouses. The per-unit price of the M1 rifle is about $220 and the carbine is more than $140, according to the ministry.

M1s were made first in 1926 and used in World War II and the 1954-1975 Vietnam War. The carbines were first produced in 1941 and used during the 1950-1953 Korean War.
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:23pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read this. Their justifications are retarded. I'd love to have an M1 and M1 Carbine.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I read this. Their justifications are retarded. I'd love to have an M1 and M1 Carbine.
    I'd really like a carbine, but the CMP is out except for a few auctions. They do still have some Garands left.

I don't know that there's actually been a justification yet, just a lot of confusion from various departments. There's some speculation that there's a question of ownership - if they are guns that the US loaned to Korea, then we could get them back and perhaps sell them through CMP.

Anyway, I emailed my Congressman and Senator about inquiring into the issue.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:50pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sure works out great for Springfield. All the people who said "Obama is anti-gun" get to say "I told you so," which could theoretically increase the odds that the big business loving Republicans will win gains in the next two national elections (then again, it's not like the Democrats have grown any balls), and Springfield doesn't have to worry about M1 Carbines hitting the market that cost less than a tenth of their modern rendition.

Hell, the prices from Korea would've represented at least 50% off the going rate for vintage M1 rifles and carbines from the CPM (with the added insult that the CPM is out of carbines).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:32pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weak! I could see it if they were Thompsons, m1 carbines converted to full auto or even BAR's but fucking Garands? Are gangs really clamoring for the 10lb 8 shot battle rifles these days?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another example of the "Change" we got from our resident "Commander in Chief" of retardedness. Another reason to get your ass out this November and vote for the opposition.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 5:29am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone have a link to the explanation for US opposition to this?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 8:54am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    Politics aside and if you'll pardon this minor interjection, from previous contracts work, we were taught that in buying mil eqpt from the US, we had to beware of their retained End-User Certificate process. In short, if UK MOD bought any equipment and at the end of its use decided to sell it as Surplus, UK MOD had to go back to the US to ask their permission.

The End-User certificate process allowed the US to agree or disagree with any notional purchaser of what was effectively Ex-UK MOD stock.

Although this was some years ago, it is likely to this may be the reason.

Now for a little political contribution. According to Simon Jenkins in yesterday's The Guardian (UK), the US has spent US$751Bn on the Afghan-Iraq.

Not including the Banks bail-out. Which effed us all.

:happy11:

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think this has to do with gun control; it has got to do with political stuff about what can happen with US lent weapons. I don't think even gun control people are worried about dinged up old Garands.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like basic cover your ass stuff, makes it harder for people to resell your weapons to people you probably wouldn't sell them to yourself.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast