9/01/2010 9:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weighted Kevlar gloves/ NI gloves.

This is what I'm talking about:
    Spoiler:

leather gloves, kevlar lined, weighted padding over the knuckles.

Recently alot of student houses in my area are getting burgled (after all kent = pikeys) and I don't want to use my knives because the thought of prison doesn't really appeal to me.

I figured these would be a reasonable alternative, extra damage and protects my hands without being so ridiculously obvious that neighbours will report me instead of a burglar. Also if I get a surprise knife pulled on me they are slash resistant (not that this means anything since only your hands are covered)

My question is whether anyone has had any experience with gloves of this sort and

1) how obvious are they as weapons? (don't wanna get pulled walking down the street)

2) how lethal are they (my intention is to use something significantly less lethal than the brass knuckles I already own)

3) will they protect my hands? (this is probably most important as the boxing season is just coming round and it is hard enough training with a neck injury let alone if my hands get fucked up from being over zealous on some fool's head)

Thanks.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use the exact gloves on the teams. We use them for the batton squad to protect the hands if you happen to get hit in the hand, so that you won't drop the batton. I have two pairs. And they work good.

1. They are concealable well and look just like gloves. When you first pick them up, you think that they are heavy but not so heavy that you are suspicious of them. They are heavy like a wet pair of leather gloves.

2. They are a lot less leathal than brass knuckles. They are filled with lead shot, kind of like putting a sandbag on your knuckels. So they are hard, but have some give in them.

3. I've used them to punch people, just for fun, and they do add weight to your hands and protection over the knuckels. The protection is not as good as padding, but it works. It wouldn't keep you from breaking your hand if you wailed on someone really hard on the head, but it would be better than using nothing. You would be able to hit harder than you would bare handed.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:17am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a feeling that motorcycle gloves might be the shi* in this area.

I think Hatch operator gloves used to be pancake a few years back.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    This is what I'm talking about:
    Spoiler:

leather gloves, kevlar lined, weighted padding over the knuckles.

Recently alot of student houses in my area are getting burgled (after all kent = pikeys) and I don't want to use my knives because the thought of prison doesn't really appeal to me.

I figured these would be a reasonable alternative, extra damage and protects my hands without being so ridiculously obvious that neighbours will report me instead of a burglar. Also if I get a surprise knife pulled on me they are slash resistant (not that this means anything since only your hands are covered)

My question is whether anyone has had any experience with gloves of this sort and

1) how obvious are they as weapons? (don't wanna get pulled walking down the street)

2) how lethal are they (my intention is to use something significantly less lethal than the brass knuckles I already own)

3) will they protect my hands? (this is probably most important as the boxing season is just coming round and it is hard enough training with a neck injury let alone if my hands get fucked up from being over zealous on some fool's head)

Thanks.
    A SGT RE who used to work for me used to wear them to and from the office in Central London. As you may know at that time all mil pers wore civilian clothing to prevent them being targeted by PIRA. I don't think he was ever stopped by the Old Bill so you're probably safe.

*unless you get into a fight and seriously deck someone - then METPOL might ask some questions*:icon_comp

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL I guess at that point you hide them somewhere and say it can't have been you because you don't have bruised knuckles.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they have a dexterity bonus when used in conjunction with melee weapons?

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:26pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless it's in Winter, you're going to look a bit silly with them; especially in a dorm. Why don't you just get a CCW... oh, nevermind. UK.

Condolences.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Unless it's in Winter, you're going to look a bit silly with them; especially in a dorm. Why don't you just get a CCW... oh, nevermind. UK.

Condolences.

Allow me, my brotha: =)

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:41pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    We use the exact gloves on the teams. We use them for the batton squad to protect the hands if you happen to get hit in the hand, so that you won't drop the batton. I have two pairs. And they work good.

1. They are concealable well and look just like gloves. When you first pick them up, you think that they are heavy but not so heavy that you are suspicious of them. They are heavy like a wet pair of leather gloves.

2. They are a lot less leathal than brass knuckles. They are filled with lead shot, kind of like putting a sandbag on your knuckels. So they are hard, but have some give in them.

3. I've used them to punch people, just for fun, and they do add weight to your hands and protection over the knuckels. The protection is not as good as padding, but it works. It wouldn't keep you from breaking your hand if you wailed on someone really hard on the head, but it would be better than using nothing. You would be able to hit harder than you would bare handed.
    I wonder how these well these would work for FMA sparring? I was thinking about getting a pair a while ago. How much do they cost?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 3:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about £30 here

..I was more about keeping them in my house btw for home invasion, especially in summer lol.
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast