Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 3:24pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started from scratch on bjj myself recently.. white belt and all.. I have tried to roll with white belts, blue belts and purple belts.. and I have noticed that there is a hugh difference in skills. I can do stuff against other white belts. I can escape from some of the stuff blue belts pull off. I can absolutely do nothing at all against purple belts.

I don't understand why etc.. I have just noticed that there is a distinct difference in skill levels

Edit: A purple belt don't need to do the a submission exactly the same way each time.. he can make stuff work because.. I guess because he understands the game so well.
    Last edited by Uglybugly; 9/01/2010 3:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 3:41pm

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by weechey View Post
    I used to be interested in this type of question, but these days I just think that I'll let my black belt instructor figure out when I deserve to go on to purple, brown and black. I figure that one day, when I get my black 10 (or more) years from now, I'll finally figure out just what it is that I was being promoted on. I think its just one of those things that you won't KNOW until you are THERE ...
    I agree completely. I have a few gym buddies that worry about strips and belt color but I've stopped giving a **** really and just try to improve my game every class in some way. I set small reachable goals for myself like get a triangle on someone or get this sweep, etc. I find myself to be much happier with my training because of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:00pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
    To paraphase Matt Thornton: a blue belt might know and be able to perform all the same moves that a black belt does, but the black belt can perform them better and at more appropriate moments, because s/he has a better understanding of timing, balance, etc, as well as the nuances of specific techniques. In the same vein, the higher belt has more experience: s/he's likely been in a given position/situation more than a lower ranked belt, and so has a greater understanding of how to deal with it.
    This pretty much describes how I think of it - as an example, I was first shown the near-armbar from side control nearly 6 years ago, but it's only been in the last 6 months or so that I found I am able to nail it on a consistent basis. What's changed in me during that time is my sense of timing, space, and precision. I think about the guys above me, and it boggles my mind as to how much further along they are compared to me with respect to those qualities. When I roll with a purple everything they do is tighter, more purposeful, with less error. That goes up logarithmically with the browns and blacks. I figure that I just won't know how to judge the skills of others until I get to a black belt level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 5:11pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the difference between a white and a blue belt is all about their positioning, transitioning and escaping, while there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in how good they are at getting submissions.

Dunno about purple or above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 7:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the deal with stripes? I'm assuming they're just tangible fillers to help? That is, the school may have a ton of students and it's hard for the buttload of coaches to know where everyone is?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 6:45am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OiScout View Post
    What's the deal with stripes? I'm assuming they're just tangible fillers to help? That is, the school may have a ton of students and it's hard for the buttload of coaches to know where everyone is?
    Maybe. They're just progress markers; they make you feel special when you get one, like you've made another small step towards a greater goal and has been recognized by your coach. Other than that I don't know.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 8:10am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OiScout View Post
    Adding stripes to belts was a concession to N. American's impatience to pick up rank. Often it takes years to get to the next belt in BJJ (*cough* purple belt for four years *cough*), so BJJ instructors started handing out stripes to give people a sense of accomplishment in the interim. That and so the impatient ones don't quit or give up.

Most of the old guard think they're total bullshit. I agree. However in my limited experience, it does seem that schools that hand out stripes have a slightly higher student retention rate than ones that do not.

Basically stripes exist because N. Americans crave external validation faster than the belts typically come.

Bunch of spoiled whiners if you ask me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 9:36am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surprised no-one re-posted this yet:

http://alliancebjjnyc.com/beltsystem.html

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 2:01pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm paraphrasing, but this is what I was told

A white belt is learning the game.
    A blue belt knows the game.
    A purple belt is good at the game.
    A brown belt is dangerous in all positions.
    A black belt is a master in all positions.

Due to my lack of training, I can't really compete well against most blue belts in my club, even though I've been a blue belt for a long time. I do great for a minute or two, then I'm just out powered/cardio and out classed. That said, I can still make most white belts look like it was their first day on the mat and can spar with white belts almost indefinitely without gassing.

The difference is I know the game, I'm not struggling, I'm not fighting, I'm playing the game. I feel like when I spar with guys better then me they are doing the same things I'm doing, they are just getting there faster. Like I"m lagging behind in the thought process. I think the point where you go from white to blue is when you are no longer fighting, but instead playing the game.
    Last edited by FictionPimp; 9/02/2010 2:05pm at .
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 2:08pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Surprised no-one re-posted this yet:

http://alliancebjjnyc.com/beltsystem.html
    I really don't think those requirements tell you much. I would qualify as a purple belt according to that chart, yet I am no where near being competitive with any purple belts in my club. Hell, with the except of the 6 years training (which I'm getting close to) I meet all the requirements on that chart for brown belt.

I'm barely competitive at the blue belt level.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast