Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 10:41pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ and Belt Skillz

Hey just got a question for everyone.

I would just like to know what you think the standards are for BJJ Belt ranks.

Such as, what do you think makes a purple belt different from a blue belt, or what skills are require at each rank or to advance to the next rank. I'm not really looking for time frames for advancement just specific skills or abilities you think are required for the different ranks.

Hope this is in the right spot and the question makes sense.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningLemon View Post
    Hey just got a question for everyone.

I would just like to know what you think the standards are for BJJ Belt ranks.

Such as, what do you think makes a purple belt different from a blue belt, or what skills are require at each rank or to advance to the next rank. I'm not really looking for time frames for advancement just specific skills or abilities you think are required for the different ranks.

Hope this is in the right spot and the question makes sense.
    White belts about to be blue belts, understand what it takes to achieve and a general sense of the positioning. Blue belts about to be purple belts understand transitioning to the different moves/positions. I know **** all about what a purple belt about to be a brown belt understands probably something being patient and deliberately setting traps/tightening the game/ or something awesome that we can't understand.

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 11:01pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember hearing somewhere that a blue belt has the skill set, a purple belt begins to link the skill set together, a brown belt can link the entire skill set and a black belt has mastered and conceptualised the skill set. Or something to that effect.

But I don't know, why are you asking me? I wouldn't have a clue. Get off my case. And my lawn.
    Last edited by battlefields; 8/31/2010 11:02pm at . Reason: Can't blame dyslexia cause I don't have it.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A blue belt can consistently tap a white belt, and would be sandbagging were he to fight in a white belt division.
    A purple belt can consistently tap a blue belt, and would be sandbagging were he to fight in a blue belt division.
    And so on.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 12:07am

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Timing. Roll more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 12:53am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    A blue belt can consistently tap a white belt, and would be sandbagging were he to fight in a white belt division.
    A purple belt can consistently tap a blue belt, and would be sandbagging were he to fight in a blue belt division.
    And so on.
    You say this but what if you and another white belt are pretty much equal and have been training around the same amount of time, then you couldn't consistently tap him/her if you were near equal. Plus in the gym your there to learn an try new things out, so if you're consistently tapping people you should be trying new things and learning rather than just trying 'to win'.

So, I think the amount you tap a certain group in not something a belt rank should be based on unless you're competing a lot.

ps look a spider:XXspider:

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningLemon View Post
    You say this but what if you and another white belt are pretty much equal and have been training around the same amount of time, then you couldn't consistently tap him/her if you were near equal. Plus in the gym your there to learn an try new things out, so if you're consistently tapping people you should be trying new things and learning rather than just trying 'to win'.

So, I think the amount you tap a certain group in not something a belt rank should be based on unless you're competing a lot.

ps look a spider:XXspider:
    I was referring specifically to competition, not to rolling in class. I should've specified that.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:39am

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To paraphase Matt Thornton: a blue belt might know and be able to perform all the same moves that a black belt does, but the black belt can perform them better and at more appropriate moments, because s/he has a better understanding of timing, balance, etc, as well as the nuances of specific techniques. In the same vein, the higher belt has more experience: s/he's likely been in a given position/situation more than a lower ranked belt, and so has a greater understanding of how to deal with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:46am

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be interested in this type of question, but these days I just think that I'll let my black belt instructor figure out when I deserve to go on to purple, brown and black. I figure that one day, when I get my black 10 (or more) years from now, I'll finally figure out just what it is that I was being promoted on. I think its just one of those things that you won't KNOW until you are THERE ...

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 2:55pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    And so on.
    Not really. People can be skillful and knowledgeable while still not being great competitors. I agree with Stu-Jitsu. There are good wrestlers/Judoka/Sambo players who can smash BJJ players of a particular rank in competition but that doesn't make them that particular rank (well, Judoka are close). Some great athletes can smack blue belts around with a little training. But that doesn't make them blue belts.

Some people just aren't great athletes.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast