Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    newbie judo+muay thai.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good karate styles

i know that this will have been discussed before, however my search function is not working.

anyway could any one please tell me some credible/effective/live karate styles

i know kyokushin is good with its full contact sparring but just i cant find a dojo near me. so is there any other styles that a worth taking?

cheers

Style
    ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try its offshoots, Ashihara, Enshin, Kudo...

Close range fighting, there are good Uechi-ryu and Goju-ryu schools too.

Style
    nothing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uechi Ryu is a great style that does a whole lot of conditioning more than other systems.

Style
    Shotokan/Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can find Kyokushin or off shoots but they are harder to find .
    depending on where you live you will find shotokan , Shorin Ryu , Goju and probably Shito Ryu easier .

But as for good styles they are all good but finding a good school and instructor , there is where you will have your biggest challenge .
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Style
    Judo, Muay Thai, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't find a decent karate dojo look for kickboxing, it's the same as most karate sparring. Or even regular boxing, that's good and consistent.

Style
    Kyokushin, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to say man basically ^^^^^^What he said. Shop around until you see an instructor you like.

Good hunting.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare graves View Post
    i know that this will have been discussed before, however my search function is not working.

anyway could any one please tell me some credible/effective/live karate styles

i know kyokushin is good with its full contact sparring but just i cant find a dojo near me. so is there any other styles that a worth taking?

cheers
    Hah, I hit aznraven's link by mistake thinking it was you, Bare graves, in order to find out what town you are in. I read it and thought, wtf?!?! This guy is already a bb and in Singapore, where there's plenty of KK.

Oops, wrong guy, so anyway, where are you located?

The style tends to be less important than the instructor; I've seen knockdown hard sparring Wado-ryu and got fucked up in a Shotokan dojo (never kick sempai in the face, repeat three times...) so you never know. Like the local American Kenpo school (RIP) wore gear with hard contact and went to the ground to tap out sparring. And if your schools choices are limited there are often bbs in light contact wimpy seeming dojos that are happy to spar as hard (or harder), as you want.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    newbie judo+muay thai.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i live in a small town called in the thatcham (uK) and only have a bike for transport, there are loads of different schools around here but from a previous experience i got really put off karate. however once i learnt about kyokushin i wanted in.

but from the looks of it the dojos seems wet and i would want to be able to spar asap, and i do not know anything about all these different types.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Hawaii KK they sparred beginners the first night. My sensei was a little slower here on the mainland.

I googled your area and it seem to be dominated by TKD, Wado, and Buji (ninjers). Hmmm, probably mostly suck; I've heard that Wado in the UK is pretty soft. Well good luck - there is good Wado and TKD and maybe even booj out there somewhere, so check out everyone. Is there wrestling in your school? Or any boxing, formal or just a club? Oh, I did see one Japanese style, Thatcham Jiu Jitsu, that might be OK.

Read the stickies about finding a school, that'll help you weed out the wussies.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Judo, Muay Thai, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare graves View Post
    well i live in a small town called in the thatcham (uK) and only have a bike for transport, there are loads of different schools around here but from a previous experience i got really put off karate. however once i learnt about kyokushin i wanted in.

but from the looks of it the dojos seems wet and i would want to be able to spar asap, and i do not know anything about all these different types.
    Can you get to Newbury? There's an American Kickboxing club there, as well as a Muay Thai club and if you're willing to go to Reading, a couple of MMA gyms.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last