Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 4:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF is wrong with my metabolism ?

Ok, I've been pondering this for a while now and I'm about to get really fucking pissed off.

I'm 45 this year, I run 4.5 miles pretty much every other day, I supplement this exercise with weighted runs at least twice a week, these consist of a 45lb daysack over the same distance, I must explain the course I run is very hilly so the distance alone isn't an issue the freek'n hills are and that's the reason I take that course.

I've never failed the military (infantry) physical tests and assessments I'm required to take twice a year and I wouldn't consider myself an excessive eater. I don't drink large quantities of alcohol nor do I smoke.

Although I'm maintaining what I consider a good all-round level of physical fitness for my age I'm not loosing the stone in weight I set out too earlier this year (which I put on when I retuned from my deployment to the sandbox.)

So, I'm either not doing something right or, have I reached that point in my life when shedding a few lb's becomes a frikken impossibility ?

Because my physical fitness records within my service records reflect "..has robust physical and mental attributes" (LOL) no one within my local med centre really gives a damn.

Help and advice would be appreciated.

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you itemize your breakfast lunch and dinner for at least today, or perhaps a summary of what is normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 4:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fruit for breakfast.

Didn't have lunch today due to a problem at work but had an early dinner (at 4.30pm) knowing that I was running this evening. This was a lasagne with vegetables.

I have had plenty to drink today, mainly diluted orange concentrate with water and following my run I had a couple of cans or redbull (not the best after exercise drink but it was all I had available)

The calorie burn this evening was proximately 650 cal

Ordinarily, I'd have a cereal breakfast with a low-cal sugar substitute, a sandwich, yoghurt and a packet of crisps for lunch, or a meal from the canteen (not overly healthy but small portions)

For dinner I have a home cooked meal of some description but never something particularly excessive in calories - I never have desert in the evenings

Whilst I was out in the sandbox my calorie intake was around the 4.5k per day however I was working 12 hour days in a hot climate and often patrolling with around 50lb of kit so over a period of time I found myself loosing about a stone and a half.

I'm currently just over 16st and 6 foot tall.

I don't feel unfit, just seem unable to shift the weight I want despite a fairly decent exercise routine

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 8:33pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave,

Well, when I was in the sandbox I ate a metric ****-ton of protein, lifted three days a week and ran the alternating days, usually taking one off depending on optempo. I ended up losing about 25 pounds. I kept my protein high and had an average of about 4-5 meals per day, with protein shakes supplementing that.

Also man, you're 45. Your metabolism might just be slowing down some. It's happening some to me too; getting harder to lose the chub once you put it on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 10:02pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My metabolism took a **** early, around 26.

Its tough, anyone it seems its more what you are NOT eating and when. There are foods out there that facilitate different aspects of bodily function. To make things more confusing, there are combinations of food that affect your body differently (as in combinations affect differently than by themselves).

My recommendation is to hook up with a dietitian. In the US military, this can sometimes be free...if one is available on base, or at least cheap. In the civilian side its pretty cheap here too. My MA teacher's wife will do an assessment and set up a meal plan for around 60 USD (what's that, like 5 or 6 Euro these days?). She specifies in athletes as well. Anyway, something like that could take the guesswork out of food intake. A lot, if not most, is common sense. Many things, however, are a bit surprising. The P90X program comes with a diet plan as well...recipes and all.

Best,

A

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 12:42am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like your diet needs a lot of work. Personally i'd;
    *up my calorie intake
    *switch all the processed foods for whole foods
    * not drink anything with calories in it
    *start eating 4-5 times a day with every meal having at least a protein, fat source and non starchy veggie in it(your fruit only breakfast is terrible)
    *start supplementing good fats in every meal like olive, flax seed, fish, nuts.
    * switch the shitty carbs you are eating for better ones and reduce quantity.
    * add in weight use to reduce muscle loss.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:06am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, appreciated so far.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 8:11am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some **** call "quinoa" that is really popular in the healthy food world these days. Its like an odd form of rice/seed that's supposed to be super healthy. Its harvested from the Andes (Peru area). I just bought some...doesn't taste like anything but I mixed it with some other ingredients and made grilled stuffed peppers and it turned out well. Others have told me there are good recipes with it. Here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 8:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto everything Sang said.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:04am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not wishing to sound ungrateful however, given my work and occupational routine it's going to be very difficult to maintain the regime suggested by Sang.

I'm about to go on a three week exercise where that's entirely impossible and the quality of the food will be high calorie - high stodge unfortunately - mostly ration packs.

Dave

~Ella Wheeler
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast