• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 11:59am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Chi in Columbus Park, NYC Chinatown?

Last Sunday I happened to come across groups of people practicing Tai Chi in Columbus Park. I heard offhand that anyone is welcome to drop by and practice and that the training is free. I'm just wondering if any NYC area Bullies are familiar with the Tai Chi scene in Columbus Park and if there are any unwritten rules or protocols that one should know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 8:37am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if anyone is free to come through and practice for free... I think that's all there is to it.

I'm not sure what kind of instruction you'll find there, because I've seen a lot of forms supermen in that park, too... but, give it a shot. You should be all set as long as you come in peace. lol.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 6:11pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No special protocol, just respect your elders and play by whatever rules everyone else is using. The quality of the training in that park is a mixed bag. There are some old guys doing unimpressive-looking Wu style forms who have more than decent shuai push hands, but you shouldn't go too hard with them because, you know, they're old.

Yu Guo Shun teaches Chen style there, Sara Roosevelt Park and Central Park. He sent three students to the big national push hands comp this year; they all returned with medals. He's got nice form:

YouTube- Chen Tai Chi - XIN JIA YI LU

... and is said to have good push hands, though I didn't try him out. Also, he was honest enough to refer me to a local san da coach when I asked him about ring fighting.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that Thai place still in business, the one on the NW corner, by the Tombs?

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 8:18pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno. The nearest good Thai food I've been able to find is Sri Pra Phai in Woodside.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 8:27pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been around in couple of months but last I checked, it was still open for business... I've only eaten there once, and it's good, but I'm a fan of Thai Angel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 1:47pm

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's always good to be polite. They're a good natured group for the most part, however, there are a few Fukienese guys that play a bit rougher, and will test you. Sometimes there will be a cheap shot or two, so no matter how "friendly" they seem, keep your guard up. Many are really open and willing to share. There are some pretty cool guys who show up, one guy is a Fukien White Crane guy, really quiet, really good. A few crazies..Ah-Bing, the Cat guy. he's not as crazy as he makes you think. Chen, the water guy, does a really loose,almost drunken push hands-but don't let him fool you. He has some power, when he shows it-which is rare. Mr. Lai-he's an old guy, usually wears a flannel shirt, in the hottest days of summer. He can push all day long and not tire. Very friendly, always smiling. He can root without taking a stance. Very cool old dude. Chan_Sifu, a Lung Ying Master, short stocky,his waist is the same width as his shoulders, always with a broad grin, and laughs-especially when he hits you. Eugene..not sure what planet he's from...he's good people. Doesn't do application so much as practices connecting his body to his root, from all angles. It takes awhile to understand his English...this is an inside joke. If you know him, you'll know what I mean. Sam Chin stops by on occaision, as do some pretty high level players.
    I haven't been there in a few, only because my Sundays are usually spent getting thrown and submitted, and right now, I'm sidelined by injuries, and opening up a new location.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 5:29pm

Style: EBMAS\52 Blocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting! I saw them this morning on my way to Wo Hop. I usually go there for brunch after class so maybe I'll see if I can join in.....

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the derail; thanks for your indulgence.