10/03/2010 1:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    Posers is quite unfair to call them. .
    Thank you for the informative post.
    I also would also like to make sure no one mistook me calling them as posers, merely asking if the martial arts community or people who seriously study the older weapon forms would consider them as such.
    I suppose I could have asked in a better manner if any of them follow the old manuscripts I do know that a good bit of them do enjoy banging the heck out of each other with swords. I certainly would not want infer any lack of toughness on their parts as you couldn't get me to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 2:10am

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries, I did not think you actually called them posers. But you are quite right that they do not always get much respect for what they do. Sometimes deservedly but certainly not always, I think. People have a hard time looking past the costume and the whole SCA culture and see the actual stick fighting.

Also, if you are interested in history, and especially the European Martial Arts, SCA in many ways come in direct conflict.

And yes, many of them do hit hard. But most wear pretty good protection too. You can get just as beaten up within HEMA or more. We usually have pretty large bruises on torso and arms and I regularly have stiff and aching fingers. It depends on your preferences.

Btw, here is a good, recent clip of full contact Hema fencing with a little more protection: YouTube - W3 Axel Petterson vs. Jan Chodkiewicz
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123