Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2010 7:28am

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a little warning with regards to Lindholm's translation of Ringeck. It does contain a few mistakes which he has corrected since, from what I understand. Also his interpretations are a bit peculiar sometimes and the illustrations of footwork are often wrong and misleading. So read with focus on the original text and keep your mind open to possible interpretations. :)

What is really good, is that the Liechtenauer verses are included alongside of Ringeck's comments. I would focus on that.

Also my club, GHFS has Lindholm's translation of Döbringer here: http://www.ghfs.se/Texter/CodHS3227a...E/Default.aspx

Other manuscripts can be found here: http://www.hroarr.com/manuscripts_german.html

If you are looking for a club, keep an eye open here. I add clubs from time to time.
    http://www.hroarr.com/organisations-...tml#california

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2010 2:46pm

Style: Kunst des Fechten, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice and information, Grimnir.

If I can say something without seeming like a butt-kisser, it was GHFS videos of longsword training that helped get me as interested as I am in Longsword. I'm setting myself a benchmark for next year! By the time the next Houston Open longsword tournament comesup, I will have dropped 30 pounds and be ready to at least compete. I hope to see you there, or sometime in the future.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I do consider myself very fortunate to be a member of GHFS, being able to take part of the excellent work of instructors like Anders Linnard, Axel Petterson, Robert Molin and others. Their skills are truly inspirational. I can't believe I am so lucky to have these guys in my city. Too bad I started with Hema so late, being almost 40 when I started. I envy those half my age for the possibilites they have. It will be amazing to see where Hema stands in another 10-15 years.

Good to hear that the work these guys have made inspired you and good luck with your goals. It is important to aim for something.

Maybe we will meet at some event. GHFS arranges Swordfish each year, this year in Nov 5-7 with quite a few interesting workshops and this year also with an official tournament, with rules approved by the Swedish Martial Arts Society. We will both have steel with protection, nylon with very little protection and a dussack tournament, amongst other things. :)

www.ghfs.se/swordfish
    Last edited by Grimnir69; 9/27/2010 12:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 10:39pm

Style: Boxing newb, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by william_cain View Post
    As is the way of the world, I have to leave something I love for something I love. There's a job in California I took, but I'm having to leave my HEMA study group behind. I'm going to miss these guys and our teacher. I built this group, found members, got us a teacher, found us good equipment, and damn it all I am going to miss them!

So, while there are a number of HEMA groups in California, there aren't any in my immediate area. The school I've been invited to study at is an hour and a half away, which is just far enough to make it an infrequent rather than constant activity. Thus I'm resigned to spending most of my time studying alone.

My current foundations in HEMA are a bit eclectic/mishmashed. We started with Meyer's longsword, added some Ringeck when we found a teacher, and have included Wallerstein's Ringen.

Given this, what manual would I best be served picking up and using as the basis of my own, private study? I will have ample space at my new home, there's quite a huge backyard from the sat photos.
    If you don't mind me asking, where in California are you located?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 7:02am

Style: Boxing, Grappling, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grimnir, were you at Fightcamp this year? If so then we've met!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 7:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVigilante View Post
    Grimnir, were you at Fightcamp this year? If so then we've met!
    Nope, I weren't. A few other GHFS members were though, but not me. Maybe next year. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 4:20pm

Style: Kunst des Fechten, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be in Apple Valley, just outside of Victorville, or an hour and a half northeast of LA.

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 12:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai-ji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My short answer is if you can find anything by Meyer it ties very neatly and builds on Liechtenauer. Also if you have a good grounding already this disk is an excellent supplement.

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 1:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sorry I don't know much about this subject but I was wondering if
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society...ve_Anachronism
    would be a good place to start? From what I understand they are fairly active in SoCal.
    Or are they by far and large just a bunch of posers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 1:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posers is quite unfair to call them. But you have to understand where SCA comes from. When they started in the 60s very little was known about how fighting was done in Medieval and Renaissance Europe. As a result, they borrowed from other martial arts like Escrima, added a bit of Sabre fencing probably, and invented some stuff themselves, and did this in armour.

Looking to the historical sources, the roughly 100 manuscripts that describe a common tradition of fighting in and out of armour, on foot or on horse, it is mostly quite different. HEMA studies manuscripts and tries to make it work on sparring with more or less full contact with swords, not sticks, since a stick and a sword behaves quite differently.

So, if European fencing (wrestling, dagger, swords and polearms) is what you are after, then SCA usually is not a good alternative. With that said, there are some within the SCA who studies the same sources and do this within what is called "Cut&Thrust". This can be quite similar and that is where I would turn if I couldn't find a HEMA club. However, you might also want to consider starting up your own group. All groups have started like that. A group of people who use the manuscripts and YouTube and keep a dialogue with other groups...

Also one should be aware that what HEMA studies likely was not 100% spread over Europe. Of course people fought with other styles or with little skills and knowledge. But HEMA is the only form that has a documented tradition. There is even one or two unbroken lines embedded within HEMA, like Jogo Do Pau, which I myself have picked up some time ago. There is even an excellent online course by Master Luis Preto for that. ;)

Have to run off to practice now. Sorry for the slightly messy post.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast