Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:45pm

Style: Muay Thai/JJJ Hybrid/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use to be pretty fat. I'm 5'7, most I ever weighed was 235. I'm down to 180 now. Still kinda fat. I lost most of it by dieting, and exercise. Never could do it for more then a month, but I would lose 15 pounds in that time. I would quit after I plateaued. I just found it too hard to lose weight. So I would revert back to junk food, soda's whatever, and then start the whole cycle over. Did it like 2 or 3 times with success.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something I've been clueing into is that the women in my life never say what they mean. Or at least, what a man might mean in their stead. We really communicate differently. I can't say I've yet cracked the code though, lol.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Jubo NOOB, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    Something I've been clueing into is that the women in my life never say what they mean. Or at least, what a man might mean in their stead. We really communicate differently. I can't say I've yet cracked the code though, lol.
    And men are all strait talking types.

I honestly think the biggest gap between men and women is the one in our heads.

Damn Straight. It's a choice the majority of the time, and they should live with the choice they have made. It's just unhealthy, and a drain on society, and there is no argument against that
    You're mostly right.

But treating people like **** rarely motivates them to change, it just makes then feel like **** and will make them want to change you. Escpecially when they dont know where they've gone wrong.

Chaos
    ? Panic?... Disorder??

.........................My Work is done here... ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia View Post

I'm guessing you don't mean the difference in gray and white matter?

I may be guilty of objectification, though. You would say gender doesn't end up mattering or what?

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 12:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    I'm guessing you don't mean the difference in gray and white matter?
    Lol, no, I do not.

I may be guilty of objectification, though. You would say gender doesn't end up mattering or what?
    Only matters as much as you make it, I guess.

There are differences between us. We're built differently, for different purposes. But I dont think these matter as much as people seem to think.

Chaos
    ? Panic?... Disorder??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 8:00am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're mostly right.

But treating people like **** rarely motivates them to change, it just makes then feel like **** and will make them want to change you. Escpecially when they dont know where they've gone wrong.
    True. I do agree that it is rarely a motivator, but In the long run the over-weight, obese, and unhealthy people will die out sooner and the health, fit people will be there to say 'told ya'. The medical world wouldn't be calling it a pandemic if it was a healthy, natural, way of life to be sought after.

Though, Honestly, until I saw "Jamie's Food Revolution" I didn't actually believe people could not know why they were over-weight in this day-and-age.

But if you know why and it's not hormonal or a chemical imbalance, it's all in your hands and no one else can be to blame.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 8:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningLemon View Post
    True. I do agree that it is rarely a motivator, but In the long run the over-weight, obese, and unhealthy people will die out sooner and the health, fit people will be there to say 'told ya'. The medical world wouldn't be calling it a pandemic if it was a healthy, natural, way of life to be sought after.

Though, Honestly, until I saw "Jamie's Food Revolution" I didn't actually believe people could not know why they were over-weight in this day-and-age.

But if you know why and it's not hormonal or a chemical imbalance, it's all in your hands and no one else can be to blame.
    See my post above, #50.
    You will get better, more long term and effective results with positive eduation, support and encouragement.

Chaos
    ? Panic?... Disorder??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 9:32am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Bodyfat% is such a fucking circle jerk anyway. Most people don't know how to measure properly, or don't use a proper measuring method, and then as a result, people have skewed perceptions of what each level of bodyfat percentage looks like.

This is a good resource

Bodybuilding.com Forums - View Single Post - PICS OF BF%'s

In the book "SLICED" (by Bill Reynolds & Negrita Jayde), the states of muscularity are objectified as follows (I'll summarize each):

1. Full house = Over or near 20% bodyfat with no visible muscle definition and only a hint of separation between major muscle groups if those groups are very large. Basically a person in this state could be confused for a football linebacker. If you're higher than this bodyfat percentage, you'd be considered overweight/obese.

Here are some examples of the Full House state:

2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approximately 15% bodyfat.

Here's a picture of Railz in the Hard state:

3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approximate bodyfat level = 12%

4. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10%

5. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

6. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. You look small in clothes, but look fantastic when you're not. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Competitive bodybuilders often aim for this state for competition day. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

7. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.

Here's an example of someone in the Sliced state:

Thanks for that, that's a pretty cool reference system. This should be a sticky somewhere so when people are like "dude I'm shredded" you can look at this and sa 'hmmm...no, you're more ripped actually"

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 9:38am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I'm cut but I still feel fat because I used to walk around ripped all the time. Guess its time to see a therapist.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 11:28am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See my post above, #50.
    You will get better, more long term and effective results with positive eduation, support and encouragement.
    Yes. It's mostly psychology, coupled with work and education. Quantifiable goals seem to be successful -- I'm going to weigh X pounds by Y date (not "I'm going to lose weight."). It's really about changing habits but it also requires hard work.

I'm not in love with "the Biggest Loser" -- they do a lot of stuff that's questionable and their "coaches" are barely qualified. The scale-only, week-to-week measure of physique changes is stupid although it does work for extremely obese people in the initial phases of weight loss. (Body fat percentage is what matters, not weight). But it does show that dramatic physique changes are possible with hard work and effort. Plus lots of support and encouragement.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast