solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejustin View Post
    Seconded. My limited personal experience has found the same. My friends, and I who have started simple and fixed our diet a little at a time have stuck with it and now eat very well. Those who dive in head first and try to do everything at once seem to fail. For me it was swapping sodas for water. Once I was used to that, I moved on to something else. Before you know it Baboom! Nutrition!
    i have to agree with this. i have never been a fat person but when i was living in the mission district of san francisco, i was eating a burrito every day, with at lot of that mexican coca-cola, and not training martial arts i managed to put on 15-20lbs over two years (normal weight for me is 150-155 so that's quite a bit for me.)

the first step in losing weight was for me to kick the "coke" habit (by the time i quit, i was drinking about a 2liter every day, which even if it doesn't end up making you fat, is the fast track to diabetes.) so i started getting fruit juice (only the 100% juice stuff, read the label!) and mixing it with seltzer water for a soda-like experience.

several years later, and now i don't even drink that anymore (it's nice but i got tired of carrying seltzer bottles from the store) and now i just drink green tea most of the time.

attack the problem areas one at a time, and it's easier.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I wish people would stop talking about donuts like this! They are SOOO good.

I've tried to quit drinking cokes about 8 times. I'm adicted to them, and back on the wagon. I'm pretty sure I will never succeed in quitting cokes.

Sirc- only fat people get to make fun of fat people. You did this whole thing just to prove to a fat chic how cool you are. Let's be honest.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:02pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm overweight, it took a huge effort and no small amount of discipline for me to go from 315 to 280 at 6'3"

It's not as simple as seeing someone loose weight, and then I go loose weight. She, your friend, has to want to loose the weight. It's hard, it's work, and people don't realize just how much work.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:15pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i have to agree with this. i have never been a fat person but when i was living in the mission district of san francisco, i was eating a burrito every day, with at lot of that mexican coca-cola, and not training martial arts i managed to put on 15-20lbs over two years (normal weight for me is 150-155 so that's quite a bit for me.)

the first step in losing weight was for me to kick the "coke" habit (by the time i quit, i was drinking about a 2liter every day, which even if it doesn't end up making you fat, is the fast track to diabetes.) so i started getting fruit juice (only the 100% juice stuff, read the label!) and mixing it with seltzer water for a soda-like experience.

several years later, and now i don't even drink that anymore (it's nice but i got tired of carrying seltzer bottles from the store) and now i just drink green tea most of the time.

attack the problem areas one at a time, and it's easier.
    This is true. It's psychology. Habits are easier to change if you do them one or two at at time. Diving in and making radical changes everywhere is a recipe for failure for most people -- they can do it for a bit, but they regress once the initial enthusiasm falls off. It's a marathon, not a sprint. (Some people can be successful by diving in, but they're the exception not the rule).

Although there are some things you should do in that initial enthusiastic phase: clear all of the crap out of your kitchen and buy real, good food. Here's a simple rule: if it's in your house, you will eventually eat it. You will eat the damn Oreos you hid in drawer or the ice cream in the back of the freezer.

Here's some good advice. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...sformation&cr=
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 8/31/2010 1:21pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    A water submersion tank? Or something else?

I'm mainly asking how you are determining a net loss of zero muscle. Phrases like "all muscle" and "all fat" tend to drive me nuts.

And how did you lose weight without calorie restriction? A deficit must have been created, no?
    Well obviously. I lost most of my weight by just doing exercises that didn't require much use of my ankle. Lots of situps and really light jogging. Bicycling, etc. Until my ankle felt better and I went back to judo, which are 3 hour classes of conditioning.

I'm pretty sure I lost muscle mass due to not being able to do anything intensive. And I understand your annoyance, but I think you're missing out on my original point of, "**** fat people."

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Agreed, you would have to measure body fat % in order to see what type of weight you lost.

Also, it IS harder for women to lose weight then men. Their bodies have more estrogen and less muscle mass meaning they have to work a lot harder to achieve similar results and their bodies are predisposed to having a higher amount of body fat.

It did sound like your friend was just complaining and could do more to be proactive, but your experiment is flawed.
    I did. I used a tub thingie at my dad's place. I understand all of that about women. My point was, it's not like it's impossible for her to drop like 40ish lbs just by changing her diet. My experiment is heavily flawed because I am really good at dropping and gaining weight. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Man, I wish people would stop talking about donuts like this! They are SOOO good.

I've tried to quit drinking cokes about 8 times. I'm adicted to them, and back on the wagon. I'm pretty sure I will never succeed in quitting cokes.

Sirc- only fat people get to make fun of fat people. You did this whole thing just to prove to a fat chic how cool you are. Let's be honest.
    Of course I did. I did this just to rub it in her face.

Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I'm overweight, it took a huge effort and no small amount of discipline for me to go from 315 to 280 at 6'3"

It's not as simple as seeing someone loose weight, and then I go loose weight. She, your friend, has to want to loose the weight. It's hard, it's work, and people don't realize just how much work.
    BUT WORKING IS SO HARD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:47pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll bet she feels bad now. When i feel bad i hit the ice cream... hard. Hopefully she isnt like me. Maybe she copes by running. That would be a good coping mechanism.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak View Post
    I'll bet she feels bad now. When i feel bad i hit the ice cream... hard. Hopefully she isnt like me. Maybe she copes by running. That would be a good coping mechanism.
    It's cool.

I think what most people are misunderstanding is that I was just really trying to be a dick to her. "HEY LOOK AT ME AS I SHIFT WEIGHT AT WILL WHILE YOU'RE BEING A FATTY!" Is the general theme of this.

Was it mean? Yeah. Was it totally awesome? Yes. Is she sad? Yep. Was I right? Yes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:51pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    It's cool.

I think what most people are misunderstanding is that I was just really trying to be a dick to her. "HEY LOOK AT ME AS I SHIFT WEIGHT AT WILL WHILE YOU'RE BEING A FATTY!" Is the general theme of this.

Was it mean? Yeah. Was it totally awesome? Yes. Is she sad? Yep. Was I right? Yes.
    but will she now be motivated to try and lose weight by your display of dickery?

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:06pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak View Post
    but will she now be motivated to try and lose weight by your display of dickery?
    But that wouldn't simultaneously make Sirc feel good about himself and make her feel bad about herself. Which would be the point if this kind of douchebaggery. It's simply cruelty. Horray for making low self esteem people feel worse about themselves. Because that's hard.

Being fat sucks, especially for women. And certain kinds of people do legitimately have trouble keeping fat down (endomorphs). Just like dishrag thin ectomorphs have trouble putting on muscle.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 8/31/2010 2:12pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I think what most people are misunderstanding is that I was just really trying to be a dick to her.
    I think most people get that.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast