--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

messed up shoulder, should i start?

hi, noob here but i have a question and figured you guys could help me out.

high school sports (swimming and water polo) left me with a pretty messed shoulder (3 major dislocations, like i had to go to the hospital and they completely put me under before resetting it), so i really can't do much with my left arm and am gonna have to get surgery within the next couple months.

however, i've had this nagging itch for the past couple years to train in mma and i'm guessing my shoulder isn't going to allow me to do bjj. should i just wait till my shoulder is completely healed before joining a gym or are there things i can learn (like footwork, strategy, etc) that would make it worthwhile to join a gym so i can learn other things while rehabbing?

thanks guys :)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a doctor or anything. I think it depends on how messed up you mean by messed up.

Consult your docter and the people at your local dojo (or wherever you're thinking of joining).

It all depends on what state your shoulder is in.
    How much stress can you put it under? (Dont go pushing it just to find out, tho)
    What level of activity can it handle?
    What sort of strength do you have through the joint?

Grappling isn't going to pop your shoulder out or anything, but there are a few shoulder locks that you may have to avoid. Done calmly and carefully you wont have any problems, as long as your partners know what to avoid.
    If you are able to punch, be careful with pad work etc, because that can put the shoulders under stress, too.

Like I said, talk to the coaches and your doctor.
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what syberia said.

check with your doctor first, if BJJ is out then Judo is out, so is wrestling and there goes your grappling.

If you cant move it around freely and painlessly then punching & elbowing could be out and there goes boxing and MT.

You cant learn MA without sparring and practice.

Strategies are formed through sparring, sucking and trying to find solutions. they are custom made primarily by the person himself with input from people who are better than him. because the basic strategy of judo is to throw someone and not get thrown, similarly in boxing is to punch someone and not get punched. If you can get that down then you are set, strategies are done when the basic one doesnt work.

I also dont know how you can learn footwork without practice, it would just look like awkward dancing.

So ... talk to you doctor, talk to your trainers (mine would just say no) and go with what makes more sense to you, personally i wouldnt do MA if i cant do much with my left arm. Rehab first then go back.

maybe TKD for shits and giggles ?

Style
    Muay Thai & Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your doctor is cool with it try weight training.
    I went through a period where one shoulder was so weak & loose that I couldn't throww a double jab,Hooks made me run for the painkillers & if someone even said "Kimura" I'd start crying.
    I honestly haven't had a problem with the rotator since I started lifting weights.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I guess I'll have to hear back from the doctors before proceeding =/

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another option could be stickfighting or a similar type of weapon training.