222077 Bullies, 3983 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 4:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Working out with injured knee

I just got back from the orthopedist after a knee injury yesterday that had me freaking out this morning when my range of motion was significantly hampered.

Not as bad as I was worried. Damage turned out to be very minor and the loss of range of motion was just the product of a large but not entirely unusual amount of swelling. Bad news is, I was told I have to avoid putting any pressure on the knee beyond just walking. And even walking is kind of funky as I can't take sharp turns right now.

That pretty much eliminates all my MA training and cardio work for two weeks. I was thinking, rather than just work on my bed sores I'd take this time to maybe do some alternative exercise.

I was looking for some suggestions of things I could do that would help for when I come back without putting any stress on my left leg. It's only two weeks so nothing long term, but I often neglect any kind of upper body weight training due to a lack of access to weights and no new gym membership. So if there's anything I can continue doing after I heal up in tandem with training MA that'd be all the better.

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rowing machine or chin ups?

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swim with a "buoy" between your legs.

swim buoy

Be careful,
    "It is always easier to introduce a new problem than to address an existing one."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 10:55am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    Rowing machine or chin ups?

Was asked to open up the school today as the head coach was out and the only other guy with a key is going to be late. So I tried just doing pull-ups and chin-ups the entire time.

With no research or look into if this is efficient, I just decided to do 100 with each grip by doing as many as I could, stopping when my arms started to give, resting a little bit, and getting back to it until I reached the 100 mark. I was amazed at how quickly I was reduced to doing three at a time.