Posted On:
    9/20/2010 11:17pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Nope, that's just my main system.

I have done...

I think that's it. I rarely sit down and think about these things.
    You forgot Hokuto Shinken and Hokuto Ryuken. Yes i'm being smartass and yes i know i'm dead before i can finish this sent...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    You forgot Hokuto Shinken and Hokuto Ryuken. Yes i'm being smartass and yes i know i'm dead before i can finish this sent...
    HIDEBU!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 4:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, I could still kick your ass, because you haven't done Krav Maga, which I did for 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Nope, that's just my main system.

I have done:
    Wing Chun 1 year
    Judo 32 years (no I'm not that good nor that high ranked)
    SAMBO 17 years
    Japanese Jiu Jitsu; Budoshin and Shorin Ryu 12 years
    BJJ 12 years
    Shootfighting 2 years
    Kickboxing 18 years
    Hapkido 16 years (complete Hobbyist)
    Kenpo 1 year
    Goju Ryu Karate 1 1/2 years
    Taekwondo ITF 8 years
    Taekwondo WTF 4 years
    Muay Thai 3 years (formal practice)
    Boxing 14 years
    Southern Eagle Claw 7 years
    5 ancestor fist 15 years
    Leopard fist 9 years
    Hung gar 3 years
    Tai Chi (Yang Style) 2 years
    5 fist Kung fu 7 years
    Rising Phoenix Boxing 7 years

I think that's it. I rarely sit down and think about these things.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 11:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav doesn't work on Omega. He has no groin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 8:41pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how many people will want to do their own home work on this, but there are some assertions in the Historical Background and Development portion of Lee's 1976 defense manual published in the U.S. that might be of interest to some people. The inclusion of the 20th century development of Hapkido gives people names, dates, etc. to follow-up if they care to do so.

There is a contingent of people who think the Korean's have nationalized their history to the point of fiction, but the portion of this that puts the developer as being trained in Daito ryu in Japan is interesting.
    --------------------------------------

From Hapkido: The Korean Art of Self-Defense, by Jae M. Lee, and David H. Wayt
    Published by Arco Publishing Company, 1976

Historical Background and Development, pp. 13, 14

The roots of the martial arts go back into areas of unrecorded history. The secrecy surrounding them also make the exact tracing of their development almost impossible. The most popular of the modern martial arts have histories that can be traced back only a few hundred years before the myths begin to outnumber the facts. For this reason we will trace only the main lines of development which produced Hapkido.

Korea has always had a strong tradition in the unarmed combat systems. It is also a country that has been traditionally washed by the tides of war between Japan and China. Despite the ebb and flow of foreign cultures, Koreans maintained their won distinct culture while adding the useful parts of the invading culture. The first system we explore begins with the Chinese T’ang dynasty. The empty-hand techniques developed at this time were so effective they spread quickly to Korea, Japan, and Okinawa, and were integrated into the unarmed combat of these countries. By 337 A.D. it had been developed into T’ang su (T’ang hand) in Korea. This system evolved through a series of similar systems of Subak, Tae Kwon, and Kwon-pup until, in 1945, with the liberation of Korea, it emerged as the modern Tae Kwon-Do. This modern form is a system for training both the body and mind of the student. It employs kicks and punches and displays its Chinese ancestry in a large number of circular hand movements typical of the Chinese systems. Despite its similarities to Tae Kwon-Do, Hapkido had a parallel development beginning in the 1920’s resulting in some basic differences.

The second major school influencing Hapkido came out of the Japanese jujitsu ryu systems. These were essentially “no holds bared” fighting techniques which involved kneeing, kicking, striking, and throwing, along with joint locking techniques. Despite the modern definition of “unarmed men against armed and unarmed attackers,” the original jujitsu grew out of the Japanese weapons systems and for the most part allowed the defender to use small hand weapons with some of the techniques. There were more than 750 recognized schools of jujitsu, but we are interested in the Daito-aikijutsu which is said to have originated with Prince Teijun 850-880 A.D. Like most of the oriental systems it was kept within the founder’s family, in this particular case, the Minamoto family. The school took its name from the family house “Daito Mansioin,” but the Daito was not attached to the school name until the early 1900’s. It remained a closely guarded family secret until Japan emerged from isolation in 1868.

This emergence signaled the end of the samurai as a class and the beginning of the decline of jujitsu as a combat form. The aesthetic forms evolved to replace combat forms and began to be taught to the non-warrior classes.

The fist major non-combat system to gain prominence was Judo. It was a sport form of the older combat jujitsu still being taught in Japan at the time of its introduction in 1882. By 1886, it had nearly replaced all other forms in popularity because it was effective and easy to learn.

This ease of learning is only relative to the older systems.

During this time the Daito-aikijujitsu system was continuing to evolve. In 1910 a young Korean, Yong Shul Choi, came to Japan to study under the Daito system. At approximately the same time a young Japanese name Morihei Uyeshiba was also studying at the school. In 1925, Uyeshiba organized a school of aikijujitsu which, by 1945, evolved into today’s Aikido. During this time Choi had returned to Korea and combined the Daito-aikijujitsu techniques with the strong T’ang soo-do forms that had already developed in Korea to produce the distinctly Korean form of self-defense now known as Hapkido.

While it can be practiced as a sport, Hapkido’s prime use is self-defense. Because it is rooted in jujitsu, it is a combat art. For this reason the kicks and throws taught in Hapkido are designed to produce the maximum results. The student will be able to see similarities between Judo, Karate, Tae Kwon-do, Aikido, and Hapkido. Because of its development as an integrated system, we feel Hapkido has the most to offer the beginning martial artist who wants to develop a personal self-defense system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 11:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A strong martial arts culture in Korea? I thought Confucian elitism all but destroyed them before Japanese Imperialists finished the job. Any history buffs think this jives?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 2:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    I don't know how many people will want to do their own home work on this, but there are some assertions in the Historical Background and Development portion of Lee's 1976 defense manual published in the U.S. that might be of interest to some people. The inclusion of the 20th century development of Hapkido gives people names, dates, etc. to follow-up if they care to do so.
    You are aware that what you posted is complete bullshit, right?

Do your own homework if you want to be taken seriously here.:suicide:

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 2:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy has a habit of surface reading. Have fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 3:39pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, DerAuslander108, actually I wasn't asking anyone to do any study for me.

I had gotten the 1976 book recently as part of my own library and found the author making some assertions and revelations about the history of Hapkido. I thought it might be of interest to others who might not come across that material by a normal course of study. So, I took the time to type it in, and include the relevant publishing data as part of the sourcing if it was needed.

What I found of particular interest was the willingness to say Hapkido is a hybrid which includes a healthy dose of Japanese martial art, and that Hapkido is not a particularly old discipline. I suspect that many people today are taught it has been passed down for generations from Korean pre-history.

If someone wants to do homework out of interest, then the material is there for them. And, since this was a Hapkido thread.... It seemed right to put it in here.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 3:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, apparently you aren't getting the hang of this board. When you post unsubstantiated or blatantly wrong information from people who are questionable, you are going to get called on your assertions.
    Yes, that is exactly what we do on this board. We try to post exact or as close to exact information.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast